BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

11-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Tebow
Rep
Drives: N/A

Mid-October order = Week 49???

I placed my order on October 13 with my dealer to get one of his allocations for October. It took two weeks to get a production # and then one more week to get a status update. When I got my status update today, the person from BMW said it is not scheduled for production until week 49 which means I won't have the car until early February.

Has this happened to anyone else? What build week are some of you who ordered in October receiving?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow View Post
I placed my order on October 13 with my dealer to get one of his allocations for October. It took two weeks to get a production # and then one more week to get a status update. When I got my status update today, the person from BMW said it is not scheduled for production until week 49 which means I won't have the car until early February.

Has this happened to anyone else? What build week are some of you who ordered in October receiving?

Thanks.
It doesn't really matter when you ordered the car - what matters is when the dealer had an allocation. If your car is week 49, either it got delayed or you got a December allocation (not October). I'd talk to your dealer to find out what happened. Personally, I'd be pretty annoyed if I was promised an October allocation and got December instead.

Oh and for what it's worth, I ordered my car on 9/29 for an October allocation. It has been built and is on a ship heading this way!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Ordered mine and got production # same day. Sold-order even made my production schedule jump the queue (forward, not backward)..

Last edited by White Shark; 11-03-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Tebow
Rep

I called again last night and spoke to a different person at BMW who said there is no info on my car now (build week, etc.). My dealer did tell me that it was an October allocation and that it would take 6-8 weeks from when I ordered it regardless of when I got a production number. I'm starting to lose confidence in his words though.

I will be more than annoyed if I ordered a car in October and wound up getting it in February. Four months might be the longest wait of anyone I've ever heard of.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
kidney1
Giggity
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Vert

BS!!!! Some one is lpulling your chain!
I ordered mine on Oct 2nd. Had the production number before I left the dealer.
Car is in Halifax on the Undine.
To NJ on 11/7, VPC, Dealer and will be picked up on Dec 10.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

I am guessing you don't understand how things work.

An October allocation is for Decmber builds. October production slots were given to the dealer in August. BMW releases build slots on approx the 25th 2 months prior. The allocations issues on Oct 25 were for December builds (or weeks 49-53 builds- according to my company's calendar, BMW's calendar might be slightly different). If you placed an "order" on October 13, the build spec for well into November were already locked.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I called again last night and spoke to a different person at BMW who said there is no info on my car now (build week, etc.). My dealer did tell me that it was an October allocation and that it would take 6-8 weeks from when I ordered it regardless of when I got a production number. I'm starting to lose confidence in his words though.

I will be more than annoyed if I ordered a car in October and wound up getting it in February. Four months might be the longest wait of anyone I've ever heard of.
Uh no. I ordered July 18 and just took delivery this past Sunday (11/2). So there's your 4 month wait. Went by pretty fast actually.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Tebow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
I am guessing you don't understand how things work.

An October allocation is for Decmber builds. October production slots were given to the dealer in August. BMW releases build slots on approx the 25th 2 months prior. The allocations issues on Oct 25 were for December builds (or weeks 49-53 builds- according to my company's calendar, BMW's calendar might be slightly different). If you placed an "order" on October 13, the build spec for well into November were already locked.
So gobuffs, are you saying that people like kidney1 placed an order in October but got an August allocation? I thought it worked that each month, the dealers had allocations to be produced that month. If they can't sell them to customers on order, they would order the car how they think it will sell and have it produced. I can't imagine there being truly a 4-month lag on this especially in this economy where every auto manufacturer is recording 30% decline in sales. I tried searching for the actual process however found nothing.

As for HIS4, I heard that it takes a few weeks longer to get to Hawaii as opposed to the east cost, so maybe your wait wasn't too long.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Quote:
So gobuffs, are you saying that people like kidney1 placed an order in October but got an August allocation? I thought it worked that each month, the dealers had allocations to be produced that month. If they can't sell them to customers on order, they would order the car how they think it will sell and have it produced. I can't imagine there being truly a 4-month lag on this especially in this economy where every auto manufacturer is recording 30% decline in sales. I tried searching for the actual process however found nothing.

As for HIS4, I heard that it takes a few weeks longer to get to Hawaii as opposed to the east cost, so maybe your wait wasn't too long.
yes that is exactly what I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Uh no. I ordered July 18 and just took delivery this past Sunday (11/2). So there's your 4 month wait. Went by pretty fast actually.
Yes, but he is on the East coast and you are WAY OUT in Hawaii.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
eprangia
Rep
Drives: '08 Lotus Exige S240

Ordered '09 on Sept 29th, it will be arriving NJ tomorrow... hopefully be able to pick up the car next Monday....
That was a long wait...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
MRBLUE
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR

My original order was placed aug 26 for week 36. But the dealer lost the sept allocation and I was dropped to week 41. The dealer says my car should be in nov 16. Just trying to stay positive
Appreciate 0