ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Z4M front camber: alignment pins vs camber washers

Calling suspension geometry nerds

Does our macpherson strut front suspension gain negative camber during bump?
Does moving the strut mounting point on the shock tower inwards help with this dynamic camber curve? Should this be preferred over the camber washer method of getting additional camber?

Also, been geeking out about suspension geometry. Feel free to share good resources.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Check out Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

filtercoffee

Free download here https://www.scribd.com/doc/157853842...is-Engineering
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Thanks. I gave it a quick read. Here's my interpretation.

First, a key concept and definition:
SAI = Steering axis inclination = the angle of the steering axis and the ground

The steering axis is the line from the upper ball joint to the lower ball joint. In our macpherson suspension, the upper ball joint is really the strut bearing within the upper strut mount.

Therefore, knocking out the alignment pins and moving the strut mounting point inwards increases SAI thus shifting scrub radius towards the negative. I don't yet know how this would change the dynamic camber gain if at all.

The camber washers do not impact the SAI or the dynamic camber gain, since the steering axis is not impacted.
The shims are at the lower strut mounting point which in our suspension has no impact on the steering axis.
^ at least this is my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
One thing seems certain, our front suspension has very minimal camber gain on bump, and that's not something that can be significantly changed by any modification. It's inherent in the macpherson design. I guess that's we focus so much on static camber angle.

Negative static camber + limiting body roll seems to be the theoretical way to get the most out of the front tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

From my understanding to a point there is minimal camber gain on compression but if the roll center gets below the front suspension arms you actually loses camber. The camber lose is especially worse if the car is lowered

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

You are way overthinking all of this.

Just get some camber plates and be done with it and call it a day.

If you ever get a decent set of coilovers then they should come with some camber plates in the kit.

Using washers will decreases the tire to spring clearance and limit how wide a tire you can run up front which will have more of an effect that the other things you are worrying about.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #8
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I already have camber plates and linear spring coilovers so plenty of clearance. this is more so for my curiosity. I appreciate the reply though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Here is a good explanation and diagram of what I was trying to explain about camber loose after a certain point of suspension compression. Copied this from another forum...

"some MacPherson strut suspensions will develop positive camber from too much lowering. The reason is the angle of the control arm. If the chassis pick-up point for the control arm sits lower than the ball joint on the hub, further compression will pull the bottom of the hub inward. Here, I sketched something up right quick. Angles are exaggerated:"

"In other words, there is geometry that would cause positive camber from excessive lowering, but I don't know for sure that it does on the MINI. Check out the static angle of your control arm and you'll be able to tell. Donnos if the curve is drastic enough to matter, but it's certainly possible."

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Neat. I found this interactive calculator online that brings that drawing to life:
https://www.racingaspirations.com/ap...ry-calculator/

Whether the suspension gains camber on bump is dependent on the design
If it does, it can be either due to the strut mounting position being in board (SAI), or due to the arc of the control arm going from \ kind of angle to -. In our cars, I think it's the former, since the control arms are roughly level at rest (correct me if I'm wrong). The upward motion of the wheel causes the bottom of the spindle to move inboard slightly due to the arc of the control arm going upward, but the top of the spindle moves inward slightly faster due to the strut mounting point being inboard. At least until a certain amount of suspension travel where the effect of the arc of the control arm is greater. If we move the strut mounting point further inboard, the rate that the top of the spindle moves in increases. So changing the strut mounting point at the top, increasing SAI, does have *some* effect on the camber curve, not just the static camber.

Whether these numbers are big enough to have any material impact, I don't know. But it's fun to speculate.
Appreciate 0