XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

02-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F10 535ixDrive, E39 M5

Wtb: E70 LCI X5 diesel

Hey everyone!

As the thread title suggests i’m in the market for a nice X5d.

I like all options except the sunshade. Sport pkg and towing pkg are necessity. Colors: Space gray, platinum gray, black, alpine white or blue.

Thank you!
Nic
'94 325ix - Parted *** '92 318i vert - sold
'94 325i - Rear End Total ***** '01 330ci - traded
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Mine is still for sale, though I have a few interested parties: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1688049
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Mine is still for sale, though I have a few interested parties: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1688049
mtecnic (Nic) - this one will be tough to beat IMO, unless you're after lower mileage. Enthusiast owned with maintenance records (good luck finding many of those on Autotrader, Craigslist, etc.). Has the 2 'must have' options that most E70 owners have agreed upon over the years - Sport or M Sport (M Sport not available on the E70 diesel) and Comfort Seats. Adaptive Drive perhaps being the 3rd must have, but so rare it's hard to include.

BTW, there was no 'towing package' with the E70, at least from the factory. Not until the G05 X5 (2019+) was there an OEM hitch option you could order from the factory. There is an OEM hitch for the E70, but it was dealer installed/DIY. The fact this one has the hitch that you want is a big bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep

150k seems like a lot of miles but Ive not had any diesel experience first hand. Talk me off the petrol mileage thought process, how many miles can these things go? I do hope to keep the one i find for as long as possible

Is the “ S8SLA Trailer Coupling Preparation” item a base option for the E70 ?

Last edited by mtecnic; 02-26-2020 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:37 AM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtecnic View Post
150k seems like a lot of miles but Ive not had any diesel experience first hand. Talk me off the petrol mileage thought process, how many miles can these things go? I do hope to keep the one i find for as long as possible

Is the “ S8SLA Trailer Coupling Preparation” item a base option for the E70 ?
S8SLA is standard I believe - this means there's wiring in the rear hatch area to support a hitch. You still need the wiring harness (and hitch of course).

Similar to 'S5GA - Preparation Alarm System' - wiring is present for alarm, but no alarm.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
S8SLA is standard I believe - this means there's wiring in the rear hatch area to support a hitch. You still need the wiring harness (and hitch of course).

Similar to 'S5GA - Preparation Alarm System' - wiring is present for alarm, but no alarm.
Thank you that makes perfect sense, ive been running vins for days on different models/chassis so it’s all running together 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
OP, FWIW on your mileage concern: Care>mileage with these vehicles (especially if seller has stayed on top of the engine & fuel systems, suspension, bushings, etc., as the vehicle aged). I also can't think of a better car to drive cross-country if you wanted to drive it home yourself (or shipping will run you 1300-1800).

For context, this is coming from an individual that has driven and meticulously maintained a 2011 335d (known for being slightly less reliable than its big brother due to CBU) for 9 years and 170k+miles. Over the last 3 months, also shipped an i3 using Montway and drove an X5d cross-country myself...All 3 being pleasurable experiences in their own rights.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 02-27-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
OP, FWIW on your mileage concern: Care>mileage with these vehicles (especially if seller has stayed on top of the engine & fuel systems, suspension, bushings, etc., as the vehicle aged). I also can't think of a better car to drive cross-country if you wanted to drive it home yourself (or shipping will run you 1300-1800).

For context, this is coming from an individual that has driven and meticulously maintained a 2011 335d (known for being slightly less reliable than its big brother due to CBU) for 9 years and 170k+miles. Over the last 3 months, also shipped an i3 using Montway and drove an X5d cross-country myself...All 3 being pleasurable experiences in their own rights.
I appreciate that fantastic insight, my biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that i need to fly to california and drive it home 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #9
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:

I'd agree here. I've owned a lot of BMWs over the years, including an 01 740il that I owned and daily drove for 10+ years until I sold it with 240K miles on it. It ran perfectly. If you take care of these vehicles, they are amazing. If you neglect them, they will be the biggest pain in the rear(and your wallet) ever. That's why I won't buy a used BMW from a dealer, only from private owners, and when I look at vehicles I treat it more like an interview of the owner than anything else.

Quote:
I appreciate that fantastic insight, my biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that i need to fly to california and drive it home 😂
I purchased my X5M from a seller in Houston TX and drove it home with my wife, we had a great time! We definitely rushed through the trip and did it in just 3 days, but we treated it like a mini vacation and had some great meals and did some sightseeing along the way. If it worked out for you to purchase my X5 I would ask that we split a PPI just so we are both sure it's good to go for the drive home and there are no surprises.

I'll keep you posted on whether or not the potential buyers coming tomorrow follow through on the deal.
2019 i3
Appreciate 1
jiggz2148.50
      02-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I would also ad, the idea of driving across a region/country would be fun, but there's a ton of shipping options out there too if that's not doable. I've had my last 3 BMW's shipped to me. With so few E70's left in great shape with maintenance records/enthusiast owned, it would seem worthwhile to be willing to drive home or ship.

For cost reference, I just paid $2400 to ship my F15 X5 (which replaced my beloved E70) from Greensboro NC to Seattle WA. That cost was obviously a full cross country trip & enclosed, which I highly recommend having experience with both. Open transport for mine was $1800, not really a lot of savings.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just pulled a quote for the shipping in case you were curious (Santa Cruz to Milwaukee). $1,199 for open, add $490 for enclosed.

They already have my email for spam anyway, so what's one more quote.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #12
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Just pulled a quote for the shipping in case you were curious (Santa Cruz to Milwaukee). $1,199 for open, add $490 for enclosed.

They already have my email for spam anyway, so what's one more quote.
That’s pretty reasonable when you think about it. Airfare, lodging etc for what must be at minimum a 3-4 day run could get up there!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #13
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s pretty reasonable when you think about it. Airfare, lodging etc for what must be at minimum a 3-4 day run could get up there!
Yup, the latter is more fun though.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
OP Messaged me a good question on potential best and worst-case scenarios for the a high-mileage E70 X5d. Probably better served in the main forums, but figured I'd paste it here for prosperity and for any X5d owner who may want to chime in. I've owned a loaded e70 (v8) and a 335d (which bears the same M57TU engine/drivetrain as its diesel big brother), but not sure if I missed any nuances. Here was the response...

Quote:
Your best-case is a worry-free high-mileage vehicle with only typical maintenance for another 40-60k miles. "What could go wrong worst-case" is a very good question to ask, and the best questions to ask yourself may be "Am I willing to dedicate money & time to maintaining and repairing an older vehicle?" I assume you are given that you're looking at E70s, but keep in mind some repair bills won't be for the faint-of-heart and I'd suggest may be best-suited for self-performance.

Honestly: Any of these cars with 80,000+ miles are going to be subject to the same possible issues, mostly emissions systems or general age-related degradation. These include (in order from "worst-case" to no-biggie) with an assumption that you mean cost when it comes to "worst-case"...
- DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Failure
- On 335: DDE (the Diesel ECU) Failure (not sure if this was an E70 issue as well) <--E70 guys, was this an issue for you as well?
- Fuel System (Injector/HPFP Failure) - much less likely if bought from an enthusiast
- CBU (Carbon Build Up) - getting into "no biggie" territory, and not as common on the X5 as the 335, but not a free issue to resolve - also less likely if bought from a non-enthusiast (or an enthusiast could at least tell you the last time they had the intake cleaned up)
- A/C System Degradation/Failure
- Bushing & Suspension Component Degradation/Failure (shocks & bags to bushings)
- Harmonic Balancer Failure <--E70 guys, safe to assume this was a weak point for you as well?
- Water Pump/Thermostat Failure/Degradation
- Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Degradation

Less likely, but anything is possible:
- Transmission issues

Maintenance Items to Consider:
- Perform oil changes regularly & protect those turbos (I suggest 6-7,000mi) & don't forget you'll be periodically adding DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)
- Change Coolant, Brake Fluid, Power Steering, Oil, etc. early in ownership (especially if you didn't buy from an enthusiast)
- Some members debate this, but also consider changes of transmission fluid (especially IF there's been a history of trans fluid changes on the vehicle) and differential fluids

Things that you will never have to deal with on a diesel:
- Spark Plugs
- Losing a tug-of-war
- Gas mileage contest to an equivalent vehicle

Alternative solutions to the stock emissions systems issues are available in some regions (if you're open to them & that's your thing).
It is also likely worth noting that--while not as common an issue on the X5 as the 335--an old, low-mileage 335d is pretty much a sure-fire guarantee of Carbon Build-Up (CBU). The diesels want to be driven, preferably with a load, and with run-cycles long enough to be able to clean and cool their Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Highway mileage and occasional heavy-footedness (after a proper warm-up for your turbos) are a must (although the latter may just be personal preference).

Last edited by FormerRotor; 02-29-2020 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #15
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep

Super appreciative for your extensive write up. The nice part is this will be one of the first cars i'm not financing in any way. The goal would be to make a “car payment” to myself into a side account for maintenance and repair items. What a fantastic community being curated here!

-Nic
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
I also can't think of a better car to drive cross-country if you wanted to drive it home yourself (or shipping will run you 1300-1800).
Totally agree. I LOVE driving the 35d on long trips and plan to take it to the Grand Canyon from NYC, possibly Cali after.

I have a friend who has done Cali to NYC in three different E39's and I wouldnt put it past the E70 to do the same.
      02-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #17
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Super appreciative for your extensive write up. The nice part is this will be one of the first cars i'm not financing in any way. The goal would be to make a “car payment” to myself into a side account for maintenance and repair items. What a fantastic community being curated here!

-Nic
My pleasure, Nic & Good plan with the repair-fund-set-aside.

BMWs have a great community. Support on the forums has faded over the years for certain models as they age, but resources remain abundant if you're good at searching. If you run into anything with the E70, be sure to check the E90 (3 Series) forums. There's a lot in there from when the diesel fore-fathers were figuring the cars out & pushing the limits. You may even find a post or two from yours truly.

Good luck with the search & be sure to post a photo when you pick up the new ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Totally agree. I LOVE driving the 35d on long trips and plan to take it to the Grand Canyon from NYC, possibly Cali after.

I have a friend who has done Cali to NYC in three different E39's and I wouldnt put it past the E70 to do the same.
IMHO, E70 diesel fully optioned may be the best all-around SUV that BMW ever brought to the US Market. The 8-speed ZF transmission in the F15 is great (and it is a highway monster), but the added turbo lag of the N57, loss of steering feel and spongy brake pedal make it a runner-up to a loaded E70. There's also something just a bit more rugged about the aesthetic of the E70 that more appropriately suits the personality of the car.

Never had the privilege of the long-haul E70d drive. The F15d was the most comfortable car I've ever driven cross-country, the RX-8 was the most fun, and I think the e90 335d would be my absolute favorite, but I haven't had a reason to make that run yet.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50