Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

03-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Paint protection film

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to get a front half PPF done on my F80 M3, any recommendations on who is the best at this in Melbourne?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
Hey Guys,

I am wanting to get a front half PPF done on my F80 M3, any recommendations on who is the best at this in Melbourne?
I used Bon Vivant in Williams Town for a full front plus skirts and boot load area.

They did a pretty good job and one of the places who can do paint correction too, detail the car and then apply the film and ceramic coating as well (my F80 was bought used so needed a polish). I had a small issue with lifting of the PPF after the job was done on one finicky part of the wing and Anthony had no hesitation in fixing it for me (PPF is funny stuff and sometimes needs cutting to release tension or reapplying and sometimes these things don't show until the first sunny day you leave the car outside so aftercare is Important).

I also got a quote from Grafico Auto in North Melbourne, they were professional and had a good operation but couldn't fix the paint for me so I'd have to do the whole thing as a 2 stage operation which I couldn't be bothered with but they looked skilled in wrapping and PPF and were well priced too.

It's definitely worth getting the paint sorted first and then PPF applied if you can. Makes it less obvious. Photos attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I used Bon Vivant in Williams Town for a full front plus skirts and boot load area.

They did a pretty good job and one of the places who can do paint correction too, detail the car and then apply the film and ceramic coating as well (my F80 was bought used so needed a polish). I had a small issue with lifting of the PPF after the job was done on one finicky part of the wing and Anthony had no hesitation in fixing it for me (PPF is funny stuff and sometimes needs cutting to release tension or reapplying and sometimes these things don't show until the first sunny day you leave the car outside so aftercare is Important).

I also got a quote from Grafico Auto in North Melbourne, they were professional and had a good operation but couldn't fix the paint for me so I'd have to do the whole thing as a 2 stage operation which I couldn't be bothered with but they looked skilled in wrapping and PPF and were well priced too.

It's definitely worth getting the paint sorted first and then PPF applied if you can. Makes it less obvious. Photos attached.
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the paint correction and PPF ?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the paint correction and PPF ?
PPF on its own from both companies was about $2600. Add the full car detail (interior and exterior), paint correction and ceramic coating for the whole car (including on the PPF to help with cleaning) from BV was around $1600 but my paint wasnt too bad a condition and I wasn't asking for a concourse finish. Each car is different, less polishing would be cheaper.

I figured after speaking to a few places $2600 for the front, sills and boot load area was about the going rate.

I've heard horror stories where people have pushed really hard on price and the detailer has little/no margin to fix stuff which an owner with high standards may like rectified.... For instance, PPF is not invisible (contrary to popular belief) but good installers with a careful scalpel can make seams a lot less visible and follow tight contours. They also know how the film will contract and breath out as the water under it dries. After a few weeks of drying and bubbles escaping it looks great from 3 feet away which is the main test and you have to know where to look to see the seams up close.

I figure shop around, read reviews and push a little on price but don't screw yourself as you may want some fixing/adjustment done.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
xquisite
Waiting for Barry & Bernadette's Baby (F95)
Rep
Drives: Barry (G05) Bernadette (F82).

Quote:

Results look great!
I've often wondered if ceramic coating was worth it.

Does anyone know of quality applicators in Sydney?

PS My first post
Appreciate 1
r0wr589.00
      03-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

These guys did my new non met black car, great to deal with proffesional and a great job. They organised custom car transport from the dealer, did the work, shipped it back to the dealer ready for delivery to me the next day, painless.

https://sydneypremiumdetailing.com.au
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
xquisite
Waiting for Barry & Bernadette's Baby (F95)
Rep
Drives: Barry (G05) Bernadette (F82).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
These guys did my new non met black car, great to deal with proffesional and a great job. They organised custom car transport from the dealer, did the work, shipped it back to the dealer ready for delivery to me the next day, painless.

https://sydneypremiumdetailing.com.au
Thanks. Sounds like great service! I'm thinking of full Suntek wrap (maybe minus roof & boot lid if saves some $) and ceramic coat over the top. That is, if I can swallow the $5k+ it will probably cost on top of paying for the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
For Sydney divers I used Ozicozi in Artarmon. They do the local Porsche dealership cars and are well regarded. cant remember which but they use either Suntek or Xpel.

They also have a relatively new ceramic coating called G-technic Halo which is specifically designed for putting on PPF. Small extra cost by that stage.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
papertarget
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Lci

If you are in Melbourne go to jacky at liquid r. Outstanding job.
Appreciate 0