BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yes, YES, it's true. I've sold my M3, to a fellow forum member actually, which I am very grateful for.

So another original owner goes away, but I hope I've been able to help everyone with shared experiences and love for the car. Many of you have certainly helped me.

As a final post here, I've decided to have a Q&A with myself, because 9 years is a long history with a car. We'll start with a question many people have already asked…

Mike, will you still do the Fall Meet and Cruise?
YES! Of course, as long as you guys don't mind a silver 335 in the mix for a little while. I still plan on being a part of this community.

So what's next?
I'm not sure, but maybe a G80. Having three cars is a lot of responsibility and a time suck, so it'll be nice to take at least a little time off from that. I will probably replace the 335 with the G80 and actually drive that to enjoy it, something I felt being the original owner of the E92 prevented me from doing after while.

Why the E92 M3 in the first place?
Let's go back in time…to before every BMW dealer became an F80 nest. I had a 350Z, and while I loved the car, it was time for something truly special. I was intent on trying many things, and I started with a GT-R. That felt FAST, and POWERFUL annnddd sort of like a big expensive Z car. I didn't see the allure, and I had Japanese cars since I had a license. I wanted German.

I went over to Porsche, but the Cayman was too small, and though better balanced than the Z, it wasn't 25k better. Plus I wanted something faster.

They did tempt me with a 997 4S, black over tan, with just 7k miles on it. But that was the same price as a new M3, which I could spec how I wanted. And though 911's are awesome and I'd like to own one someday, they are a dime a dozen, so to speak. That particular car wasn't special to me.

I had remembered a Car and Driver article comparing the E92 to a 911 Turbo and GT-R, and at the time I thought it was impossible that it could win, but it did.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...parison-tests/

Their opinions usually jive with my own, and once I drove the M3, I was sold. I placed an order, and watched it sail across the ocean 8 weeks later.

Why did you only put 30,000 miles on it?
If you drive yours every day, I say more power to you, but being in New Jersey, we have chronic traffic, worse than most. Sitting in traffic with this thing just seems like such a waste, which is why I'm proud to say every mile on the car is either from the track, a back road drive, a car show, or a group drive. I've enjoyed every minute of it.

How bout that depreciation, ami right?!
The original owner will always take the biggest percentage loss on a car, but when you look at resale value, I essentially got to own an M3 for 9 years for half the price. I'll take that deal every time.

You never did your rod bearings, why?
Simple; I took care of the car. Proper M break-in, frequent oil changes, proper warm ups…I would have done them eventually, but even then, many miles and years from now. My theory about all of this is the leases these cars were on. "Who cares, it's not mine" leads to bad behaviors and maintenance plans. At this point in the game, if you don't know the full history of your car, do em.

Best experience in the car?
That would be the first time I took it to the track. An HPDE event at Pocono. By the third go around I was into a good rhythm, and on Pocono you have that long back NASCAR banked straight. I remember windows down, speed 140 and climbing, and the engine sound echoing off the track wall. Nothing will ever sound like that again, ever ever. It's impossible to enjoy that motor 100% unless it's on a track.

Does it actually make a good track car?
Yes, even for beginners. It's heavy, you really feel the weight when you push it, and the suspension is a little soft, but that just makes it more forgiving and easier to learn on. And we're still talking very high limits here. As in any M car, they are easy to drive at the limit with plenty of warning before loss of traction, and it feels smaller the faster it's driven.

Favorite things about the E92?
Well the engine is always number one, but it goes beyond that. It's just so well balanced in everything it does. Nice sized trunk, good supportive seats, an interior that I thought was a step above the F30, despite being older. Suspension that never killed you with a harsh ride, always capable. The overall feeling of the car, despite it being slowly than an F80, was better I always thought. It was responsive and talkative in a way modern M cars are not.

What did you not like about the car?
Some things. The brakes were never really that good. I was introduced to the concept of OMG FADE pretty quickly. Upgrade them if you want to seriously track it.

The 6MT is just fine. Really, it's the same MT as in any other BMW. Somewhat notchy, long throws, but fine. The stock shifter looks like a marital aid.

Steering was excellent! But not as good as my 350Z. Truth.

Finally, fuel economy. I'm with all of you…who cares. BUT, when you fill up the car, and drive about 100 miles, some of it spirited, then find out you only have a quarter tank left…gets old. Also, I'm an idiot for thinking I'd be fine on one tank at the track.

Sixth gear should NOT make the engine spin at 3,300 RPM doing 80. That's not really an overdrive gear.

The seating position is high, but I never noticed this until I got an F30 as a daily. It became more annoying as I got older, go figure.

By luck of the draw, I had the factory Continental tires. Before selling, I put PS4s on. There was no comparison. I hope they work out a better way at the factory than doing month on / month off for suppliers.

Why sell now?
This is something I've been thinking about for some time. Watching values of the car dip lower and lower, now seems like the best time to get out. Because I'm the original owner, the value of the car is a bit more than some others on the market, but even still, I believe that once the G80 comes out, prices will drop even lower into the 20s before recovering. At that point, I'd most likely have the car beyond 15 years. And modifying it would only lessen value at this point. F80s, and G80s I'm sure, are much more common and therefore much less likely to retain as much value. Look at F80 prices already dipping into the mid 40s. There is no crystal ball, but this seems like as good a time as there will be.

Where does the E9X M3 fit / will it appreciate over time?
If you point to any Corvette over its history, you'll find that the car has remained the same from a concept and design standpoint (although that's about to change in a big way). That goes for many sports cars. Not so for the M3. Each generation is so very different from the other, I think it comes down to what you're nostalgic for, and what you value.

Of all M3s, the E9X is most like a gran tourer. Big, comfortable, stable at high speeds. That's not a bad thing at all, it just depends on what you like and what you value in your sports car.

I was at Park Avenue over the summer, and they had a Lime Rock edition locked away with 8 miles on it, still had the factory wrapping on the inside. The sticker was over 100k. Go down the market and you'll find frozen editions for 50-60k. Everyone else is below 40. My advice is save the frozen and Lime Rock editions, drive the others. But really, these cars were meant to be driven hard, even periodically. To put it in a bubble and stare at it for years isn't going to do anyone any good, and you'll never make your money back, let alone make a profit.

What will you miss the most?

Of course, the engine, and the sound. Every conversation with this car begins and ends with the engine. It cannot be replicated with today's technology and engine set ups. The F8X sound issue is well documented, so I won't go into that here, but I'm hoping the G80 will improve upon it. Nothing will compare to this thing though.

Did you ever lug it / no torque bro?
My personal driving style is to really enjoy wringing out the car. The more I push it, the more precise it is, the better I feel. So for me, the lack of torque in the car was never an issue. The car never felt like it was low on it, to be frank. At the track, you're never out of 3rd for more than a minute with a 6MT, and that's where the torque lives, so I thought it was fine. But yes you CAN lug it and it isn't a good feeling.

Will you ever get another?
No. I had the one I considered the perfect spec, everything else would just be a let down. Although I did always think Mineral White Metallic, Carbon Fiber roof, M Performance CF parts…YUM.

How do you keep it so clean?!
A lot of work, but if you want to replicate the success I've had, get 3 things. A power washer / or foam gun, a drying aid with plenty of Mircofiber towels, and a sealant.

I did not put paint protection film on it, a decision I will change on my next car, as I feel like the technology has improved greatly from 10 years ago.

Also, not driving it in the winter was a big help, because whatever brine they are using now on the roads is TERRIBLE on the cars.

Has BMW lost their way?
I don't think so. They will get the steering feel correct on these EPS units, the chassis set ups are still first class, and the engines are as smooth as ever. The G80 is possibly the last M3 with a stick option AND an ICE, even though 10 years ago they were making an M3 with an engine that had a gas guzzler tax attached to it. Change is good, embrace it.

Final thoughts?
I need the perfect car. It should be good looking, but not stand out too much. It should be fast, but not so fast that it can't be enjoyed on the street. It should be practical, so I can fit the hookers in the trunk, and take fellow bros for rides. It should be sharp and precision-like when driving, but not try to kill me with every pebble I run over. It should make me want to roll the windows down at every tunnel so I can hear the exhaust.

It should make me look like a better driver than I really am.

That, my friends, is the BMW E9X M3.

Enjoy them!

Pics and memorieeeeess below.

Name:  IMG_2217-2.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  403.8 KB
Delivery day!

Name:  IMG_2219-2.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  494.4 KB
Before BMW garages were palaces.

Name:  IMG_2235-2.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  583.4 KB
First car show near Cherry Hill, NJ

Name:  IMG_2271-2.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  330.5 KB
In the paddocks at Pocono. Check out that tape job.

Name:  IMG_2656-2.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  495.4 KB
The back roads near my house were seemingly made for the car to be enjoyed.

Name:  IMG_2395-2.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  297.5 KB
I never want to change the back half of the engine plugs again.

Name:  IMG_2348-2.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  269.6 KB
With my good friend Shyam putting on the Borla ATAK. Our wives took this without our knowledge.

Name:  IMG_0113-2.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  396.6 KB
Down in Baltimore for Bimmerfest!

Name:  IMG_2940-2.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  417.3 KB
Home.

Name:  BMW_E92_M3_skyline.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  431.9 KB
The car appeared on a Jalopnik article as wallpaper, and was featured in the 2018 Turner Motorsport Calendar.
SoCalRPM885.50
donut_boi997.50
OneSickM122.00
wfdeacon881105.00
LTeezy149.50
XKxRome0ox1587.50
TrueToBMW160.00
Montaver2180.50
xander_g1003.00
SLC Steve104.00
Ngilbe361618.50
MrGatsby348.00
Mvy540.50
Law6381.00
jdamore432.50
BayE301341.00
Transfer5254.00
K-M390.50
Tewie197.50
elvism287.00
BMWNTHZST193.50
      02-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
M3_92101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93

Thank you for the awesome exit post. Truly enjoyed reading it!!
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

We have lost another Original Owner. Respect for keeping the car for 9 years!
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Fantastic write up! Looks like you had a great 9 years with your beauty! Hopefully she will be taken care of and loved the way you loved her!

Enjoy your next adventure sir! For now, this was the last chapter of this book. Time to begin a new journey
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
TrueToBMW
///M
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great post, read every word and appreciate the thought and time you put into it. Good luck with your next purchase, hopefully it brings you the satisfaction and pleasure your e92 did in the years you owned it.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Good stuff!

Happy motoring in your next chapter!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I'm not sure if a congratulations is in order or I should offer my condolences! Either way, I enjoyed the article and it sounds like you've definitely gotten your moneys worth with the e92. I feel the same was as you about a lot of your comments. I'm glad someone else finally admitted that the steering, while not bad, isn't spectacular either. My perspective on steering feel has the Boxster as the standard of excellence. I'm sure some cars have better feel than the Boxster, but the e9x M is at least one rung down. And also like you, whenever the time comes to get rid of my current M, it's unlikely I'll buy another e9x version. Too many other cars in the world I'd like to experience. Unlike you, it's highly unlikely I'd go to another M3/4. IMO, the e9x M3 is the best of the various versions.

Best of luck on whatever the next chapter holds and let us know what you end up replacing the e92 with.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Great write up bud, look forward to seeing the G80! Are dealers taking deposits yet?

Nice review, the e9x is definitely the most 'GT' of the lineage in terms of feedback and setup. E9x steering feel is nice and direct, but I think it feels a bit 'gloopy'. It has a reasonable amount of communication, certainly doesn't compare to a 997 911 IMO. Better than a lot of electric racks but it's not the benchmark.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Great write up bud, look forward to seeing the G80! Are dealers taking deposits yet?

Nice review, the e9x is definitely the most 'GT' of the lineage in terms of feedback and setup. E9x steering feel is nice and direct, but I think it feels a bit 'gloopy'. It has a reasonable amount of communication, certainly doesn't compare to a 997 911 IMO. Better than a lot of electric racks but it's not the benchmark.
Agree on steering.

Dealer will always take your money lol. But I won't put a deposit down till I'm sure it's what I want. I have to drive it first.
      02-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I'm not sure if a congratulations is in order or I should offer my condolences! Either way, I enjoyed the article and it sounds like you've definitely gotten your moneys worth with the e92. I feel the same was as you about a lot of your comments. I'm glad someone else finally admitted that the steering, while not bad, isn't spectacular either. My perspective on steering feel has the Boxster as the standard of excellence. I'm sure some cars have better feel than the Boxster, but the e9x M is at least one rung down. And also like you, whenever the time comes to get rid of my current M, it's unlikely I'll buy another e9x version. Too many other cars in the world I'd like to experience. Unlike you, it's highly unlikely I'd go to another M3/4. IMO, the e9x M3 is the best of the various versions.

Best of luck on whatever the next chapter holds and let us know what you end up replacing the e92 with.
Really have to see the G80 in person because I'm not sold on it right now. I'll do what I did last time: drive a bunch of makes and see what I like best.
      02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Great read, I'll miss your photo-shoots for sure, you captured some fantastic shots of this car over the years.
Spark plug photo made me laugh, tackled that for the first time this weekend and can now envy the fact that you won't deal w/ those again!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
I'll do what I did last time: drive a bunch of makes and see what I like best.
Definitely a good way to go!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper228 View Post
Great read, I'll miss your photo-shoots for sure, you captured some fantastic shots of this car over the years.
Spark plug photo made me laugh, tackled that for the first time this weekend and can now envy the fact that you won't deal w/ those again!
Front 4 are a breeze. Back 4 made me question why I wanted to do it in the first place.

Will still shoot some! Many friends have them.
zipper228201.50
      02-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I hope you found the time to do something with that rope lighting in the garage... like Install it or Something else straight level and true.. lol between that and the crooked picture you got my OCD on tilt..
      02-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I hope you found the time to do something with that rope lighting in the garage... like Install it or Something else straight level and true.. lol between that and the crooked picture you got my OCD on tilt..
Relax my friend, the lighting is gone by now lol. As for the tilt, not every pic should be dead on
      02-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #16
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
That was a great read.

Thank you for sharing

Agreed that while the E9x M3 will always be a special car, it's not a money-maker, so to have it sit and not drive it for fear of losing value truly does not do the S65 and the chassis justice.

Glad to hear you're sticking with BMW, so it's not farewell, it's see you on the neighboring forum

Be sure to check back in on a thorough "VS" comparison/writeup when you get your G80

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #17
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Cool thread!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #18
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Sorry to see you go, best of luck with the next acquisition. Faster and more capable that it may be, it will never beat the S65 in the aural department.
Not even my Porsche can stack up to it, it's louder and raspier, yes, but there's no mistaking the deeper, guttural induction symphony of the M.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #19
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Sorry to see you go, best of luck with the next acquisition. Faster and more capable that it may be, it will never beat the S65 in the aural department.
Not even my Porsche can stack up to it, it's louder and raspier, yes, but there's no mistaking the deeper, guttural induction symphony of the M.
Nothing ever will, and it's what makes the car so so special. This, and the E60 M5, will always hold a special place in the pantheon of M.
      02-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #20
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing ever will, and it's what makes the car so so special. This, and the E60 M5, will always hold a special place in the pantheon of M.
Should have kept it, you'll never get one from new again
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzgJ74 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Should have kept it, you'll never get one from new again
Nah. It was fun, but ready for other things.
      02-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #22
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

bummer. sad to see you go, i'm going to miss your pics.