BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
To mod or not to mod?

These forums are fantastic; filled with all the eye candy in the world of forged wheels, performance seats, and copious amounts of carbon fiber bits.

The first month of ownership I truly believed my E92 is perfect as is. I couldn't fathom adding or changing anything. Yet after a year of ownership, and many months on this forum, I start to get intrigued by the incredible aftermarket available for our cars. The pure creativity some owners show, treating their cars as a blank canvas (and a fine one at that) is very cool to see.

For me it started slow with Lux angel eyes, LED interior lights, and clear turn signals. I convinced myself I was simply bringing a 2009 design to modern standards but remaining true to BMW's vision. Next came the Fabspeed x pipe, Dinan springs, Dinan ECU/DCT tune, and complete carbon fiber interior kit. A few steps away from its simple past.

Now as I scroll through these posts and see the incredible seats, alcantara steering wheels and widebody kits, my mind races with ideas of what's next to come.

The M3's greatest design element is the mating of function and form; like an angry bulldog wearing a smoking jacket. BMW forwent fog lights to channel cold air on to the brakes yet designed these aggressive bumpers beautifully. The coupe features a carbon fiber roof. In an era where carbon fiber was used as a status symbol, BMW used it for the purpose of lowering the center of gravity, and shedding weight. Yet it remains a beautiful art piece up top. These cars are so well balanced as is, that I question if I should change it. In layman's terms, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm curious as to how many here keep your cars stock, light mods, or go all out? What are your thoughts on mods? And please, certainly post some pics.

Last edited by MrGatsby; 02-07-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would get an engine tune and dct too if you have that. A stage 2 tune is well worth it. In terms of cosmetic mods, I like to stay close to stock. I only have the body colored reflectors and upgraded headlight bulbs (looks white not yellow) if that even counts.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
I would get an engine tune and dct too if you have that. A stage 2 tune is well worth it. In terms of cosmetic mods, I like to stay close to stock. I only have the body colored reflectors and upgraded headlight bulbs (looks white not yellow) if that even counts.
Forgot to add, I did a dinan ecu/dct tune as well when I did the X pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Say no to widebody kits!
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1457.50
zipper228201.50
      02-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great story dude! I agree that the car is legit as is. I personally did suspension, RB's, Roku TV and maintenance to not worry about the first owner stuff. Next will be exhaust, and rim repair and color change. I'm interested in DCT GTS tune but need some info from a knowledgeable person. I fear increasing shift speeds will place unnecessary duress on my non GTS mechatronic unit.
      02-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Mod it!! My favorite mod currently is the 4.10 gears in my 6mt, not a huge jump from stock but the car always seems to be in the right gear when your cruising and need to get on it to change lanes or just hoon.. I haven't tracked it yet since the upgrade but I'm sure it'll be awesome!Gonna be able use third better and find more fourth on the straights.. it's got a osg superlock unit in it too. Currently working on these recaro's. They can't get me a matching red one since they've discontinued the trim, so I ordered a matching spec with black instead of the red from Germany and plan on doing red harnesses on the black one and black harnesses on the red one? What do you guys think? Will that look ok? The other option would be having one of the seats reupholstered, the red might be a bit much but looks good! I can get the material... was planning on doing some accenting throughout the car anyways...
Attached Images

02-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

^What mounts are you using on your Recaros?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #8
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
^What mounts are you using on your Recaros?
The much hated ms mounts, which I'm debating on using a 1/4" spacer with to slightly raise and offset the centering issue with them. Already mocked them up to work without and sure enough there's a steering offset which doesn't bother me too much but they could use the extra height for the hardware sake (bolt accessibility) I'm using ms seatbelt receptacle hardware with recaro sliders. Will have to get creative for the centering issue if I want to address it but can be done. Just the more hardware/spacers etc I add the closer they get to stock seat weight which is kinda pissing me off. Rigging them up for heat will be another hurdle too, I would love to get the two stage recaro heat to work with the three stage stock heat button too. If I can get the 1/2 stage stock button to go recaro low and the 3 stage to go recaro high would be ideal, it's gonna take some testing and trial and error but can be done I hope. Where there's a will there's a way I know it's been done before, if you've got any info on this please pass it along! I'll post the process once the other seat arrives.
      02-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
The much hated ms mounts, which I'm debating on using a 1/4" spacer with to slightly raise and offset the centering issue with them. Already mocked them up to work without and sure enough there's a steering offset which doesn't bother me too much but they could use the extra height for the hardware sake (bolt accessibility) I'm using ms seatbelt receptacle hardware with recaro sliders. Will have to get creative for the centering issue if I want to address it but can be done. Just the more hardware/spacers etc I add the closer they get to stock seat weight which is kinda pissing me off. Rigging them up for heat will be another hurdle too, I would love to get the two stage recaro heat to work with the three stage stock heat button too. If I can get the 1/2 stage stock button to go recaro low and the 3 stage to go recaro high would be ideal, it's gonna take some testing and trial and error but can be done I hope. Where there's a will there's a way I know it's been done before, if you've got any info on this please pass it along! I'll post the process once the other seat arrives.
I'm debating between just leaving them fixed with Planted mounts (which seem to have far less issues than MS/VAC) or go with the Brey Krauss for the nifty powered fore/aft adjustment.

As for the seat heating, I don't think there will be a way to control 3 stage heating module (the OEM one) in a 2 stage output equipped seat. I'm assuming the Recaro's have their own heat controller under the seat?

I've mocked up a way to retain the OEM heated switch controls, but this requires using the OEM BMW seat heating elements installed into the Recaros (I've bought a pair of spare E92 seats to harvest). Once I get some time I'll tear into this and see if they can be removed without damage to the elements...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      02-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #10
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I'm debating between just leaving them fixed with Planted mounts (which seem to have far less issues than MS/VAC) or go with the Brey Krauss for the nifty powered fore/aft adjustment.

As for the seat heating, I don't think there will be a way to control 3 stage heating module (the OEM one) in a 2 stage output equipped seat. I'm assuming the Recaro's have their own heat controller under the seat?

I've mocked up a way to retain the OEM heated switch controls, but this requires using the OEM BMW seat heating elements installed into the Recaros (I've bought a pair of spare E92 seats to harvest). Once I get some time I'll tear into this and see if they can be removed without damage to the elements...
Is there feedback to the main ECU for the seat heat? Does is throw a code if it doesn't see the heater? Is there multiple coils in each element for the butt and back? How do they control the temperature? I was hoping it would be varying voltage in a single coil with a thermistor for sensor and a thermal overload just in case?

Edit - oh I see what your saying, signal from Ecu to seat controller 5-12v maybe? Hhmmm I haven't looked at it enough.
      02-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
_paolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I just got my M3 less than 4 months ago with the intent of keeping it fairly stock. Track-able daily driver is what I like to call it. Got the maintenance done including rod bearings. Got some track wheels, Swift lowering springs (for now) that I still need to install and that's About all I plan on doing to it. Maybe a front lip? We shall see.
Attached Images

02-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #12
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I came from an E46 with CSL stuff, and went for a "E92 CSL" / OEM+ look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0