proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

07-20-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
Alexo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition + F20 118d

Garage List
Snow Chains on M4 Competition

Does anyone in Australia have experience fitting snow chains or alternatively, winter tyres to an M4 Comp? I'm sure BMW will say snow chains can't be fitted, as they do on all their M Sport models, however I've managed to successfully fit them in the past. Maybe the M4 Comp is different 'though. If you've had success with this can you please advise details?

An (expensive) alternative is winter tyres, however National Parks will still insist on chains for a 2WD vehicle even if its got winter tyres. I'm in Sydney visiting NSW ski resorts so will rarely need them anyway, but better sure than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Couldn't fit them to the X5 with 20's last week, but still legally had to carry them ;/ Would not even entertain the idea of taking my F80 to the snow - but there's lots of threads from US and EU on it. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1046456
Appreciate 1
Alexo8.50
      07-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
winter tyrea in Australia?
in the EU, the winter tyres have studs in them, so no need for chains.
i think the reason you normally cant fit chains, is the lack of clearance - you orobably need some 18"s. then the 18"s could double up as track day tyres, but then you would want semi slicks...

oh, such a 1st world problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #4
Alexo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Well I've found there are Nokian snow tyres out of Melbourne but they require a set of 18" rims instead of the 20's so thats out of the question due to cost. I've also found Konig CL10, 105 chains that might do the job. They fit the M4 Comp 285 x 30 x 20" setup. CL10 refers to 10mm clearance required all round so I think I'll give them a try. I've only used chains twice in 30+ years of driving from Sydney to Thredbo 2 - 3 times per year but legally they've got to be carried.

I've spent a lot of time driving in the worst winter conditions imaginable in Canada with both summer and snow tyres and the snow tyres are pretty much bulletproof on any drive layout you like. AWD/4WD with summer tyres is much, much worse than 2 WD with snow tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

You know it's forum rules to have your wife drive an X5 right? Just take that to the snow...
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      08-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I saw an e92 parked up at Hotham on a sloped driveway with 2 inches snow and it's tyre tracks behind it down the drive. Think he had 18's and decent winter tyres.

Having moved from the UK I was surprised by the fact that snow tyres aren't approved attire in Australia but some battered, badly fitting rented chains that will smash your body work, wheels and arches up whilst sliding you into a tree under braking are approved. Common sense prevails.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:20 AM   #7
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

There is a place in berridale that rents proper 4wd's. Just rent one of those, they will securely store your the M4

http://www.alpenautorentals.com

I live in jindabyne in winter and drive up everyday. As you say you rarely need chains to get to thredbo. However, if you do, you will have problems with the M4 with the konig chains. You will still have very little front wheel grip for braking or turning. Also, the low ground clearance could be a problem if you are in a car park and get snowed in. You could easily get beached on the cars belly, or have snow pile up in front of the spoiler

If I were you I would look very closely at the weather forecast. If it looks fine for the period you are there you could take a punt. If there is going to be low level snow it is not worth the risk.

I would never drive our M4 up there in winter!
Appreciate 1
Alexo8.50
      08-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Don Molina
not that guy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 + S2000

Winter tires in the EU don't have studs in them. Some regions in the Nordics do, but only there.

I've taken my M4 on resorts in many occasions, with the stock 640m wheels wearing 255 winter Contis (830 i think)

No drama, no problem, and can handle the snow just fine. I've even been in a resort that is full of ice and snow, where chains were recommended but not mandatory - had little issues.

The only problem is that the rears go quite quickly to 4mm depth, which is the limit for proper winter use, but that's a small cost for the amount of use I've gotten out of the car.

A good set of winters and a nice LSD can go a long way. I think that my set is not even that good in the snow, a pair of Nokians would probably be even better, but my snow use is not that dramatic and is mostly the occasionaly snowy day in Zurich.
      08-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Alexo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
There is a place in berridale that rents proper 4wd's. Just rent one of those, they will securely store your the M4

http://www.alpenautorentals.com

I live in jindabyne in winter and drive up everyday. As you say you rarely need chains to get to thredbo. However, if you do, you will have problems with the M4 with the konig chains. You will still have very little front wheel grip for braking or turning. Also, the low ground clearance could be a problem if you are in a car park and get snowed in. You could easily get beached on the cars belly, or have snow pile up in front of the spoiler

If I were you I would look very closely at the weather forecast. If it looks fine for the period you are there you could take a punt. If there is going to be low level snow it is not worth the risk.

I would never drive our M4 up there in winter!
Thanks for that link robbo mcs. A good thought if the forecast looks really nasty. Fortunately I've got underground parking in Thredbo and a heated driveway so the public carpark problems you rightly point out don't apply. I always try to arrive in Thredbo between midday and 2.00pm when any snow has usually disappeared off the roads, and can wait around on departure day until it warms up. With 2 -3 visits a year I've only needed chains twice in 30+ years. Always carry them 'though.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Alexo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
You know it's forum rules to have your wife drive an X5 right? Just take that to the snow...
No trucks allowed in this family!
Appreciate 0