BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Nanoskin Autoscrub mitt mini-review

TL;DR - Nanoskin mitt is easier than clay, gets crap out of the paint like clay, but is abrasive and may need to be followed up with a polish.

I saw several people mention the Nanoskin Autoscrub on the forum in a few threads so I figured I would try it out. I bought the medium-grit mitt off Amazon. It came in the mail yesterday. It's not what I was expecting - basically a wash mitt with one side covered in a thin rubber coating. I decided to spend the late afternoon removing some factory stickers, pinstriping and badges on my Tacoma. I used the Nanoskin to remove some of the really stuck-on adhesive residue, and it worked really well. Much easier than clay and similar effectiveness. The one big thing I noticed that I wouldn't have seen with clay is a slight abrasion in the paint where I used the Nanoskin. You can see it in certain light, and it looks like it takes the tops off the orange peel. I would liken it to a super fine grade sandpaper almost (maybe not quite that bad). I followed up with M105 on a DA polisher and we are good to go on the Tacoma bed. Overall, very satisfied.

I do look forward to trying the Nanoskin on my 128i once I have some time to do a full detail. I plan to wash, use Iron-X (also a new product for me that I learned about on the forum, but haven't used yet). Then use the Nanoscrub, M105, Klasse AIO and Glaze, and maybe a carnauba on top. I will try to remember to come back to this thread and update when I do this to report any different observations on the BMW paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Try the Klasse on a test spot first. You may not need the M105. You may not need the glaze, either. Let us know how your ride turns out!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
There are different levels of mitts. I got a mild ones on Amazon. It doesnt do as well as a real clay bar but I feel better about not screwing up the paint. I keep a second one that I use for the glass each wash. Last year a fellow BMW owner (M4) was amazed at how slick and smooth my paint looked compared to his despite being two years older than his car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
There are different levels of mitts. I got a mild ones on Amazon. It doesnt do as well as a real clay bar but I feel better about not screwing up the paint. I keep a second one that I use for the glass each wash. Last year a fellow BMW owner (M4) was amazed at how slick and smooth my paint looked compared to his despite being two years older than his car.
I was amazed at the difference the clay made on the smoothness of the paint, like buttah!

I'm kinda mid-spring clean right now; so far, I've clayed, polished (Meg HD Compound, TW Speed) and waxed (TW Carnauba) the hood, front fenders, roof and top of the trunk, but I haven't had time to do the doors, quarters, rear bumper (front is a lost cause) and lower part of the trunk. It looks better, but nowhere near perfect...
      05-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I was amazed at the difference the clay made on the smoothness of the paint, like buttah!

I'm kinda mid-spring clean right now; so far, I've clayed, polished (Meg HD Compound, TW Speed) and waxed (TW Carnauba) the hood, front fenders, roof and top of the trunk, but I haven't had time to do the doors, quarters, rear bumper (front is a lost cause) and lower part of the trunk. It looks better, but nowhere near perfect...
Be careful if you're even borderline OCD. First comes the claybar, then you're buying a whole polishing kit with different pads etc. I need a small room for all my car cleaning crap. And I like keeping everything inside so it is kept in a climate controlled environment. My wife wants everything in the garage or shed.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

you may have mentioned and i missed it, but did you get the fine or medium grade mitt? I used the medium and it definitely needed to be polished after.
      05-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Be careful if you're even borderline OCD. First comes the claybar, then you're buying a whole polishing kit with different pads etc. I need a small room for all my car cleaning crap. And I like keeping everything inside so it is kept in a climate controlled environment. My wife wants everything in the garage or shed.

Not me, I'd just give up and buy something to make the car more fun (which is getting harder to do now )
      05-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
you may have mentioned and i missed it, but did you get the fine or medium grade mitt? I used the medium and it definitely needed to be polished after.
I bought the medium gritt.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3234.00
      05-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Try the Klasse on a test spot first. You may not need the M105. You may not need the glaze, either. Let us know how your ride turns out!
I always get M105 and M205 mixed up... I used the polish, not the compound. I applied AIO and Glaze and the truck turned out great. It'll likely never look this good again so I spent some time getting a good photo of it.

My goal was to make the Texas bugs stick to the paint a little less, not too concerned with how it looks. The BMW usually gets a coat of carnauba over the sealant to really pop. I also owe the BMW a decent photo shoot once I get it cleaned up. First I need to get it to run correctly...
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:

At my first track day with the 128i, I met Larry Kosilla but didn't know who he was and had never hand washed a car before. Super awesome nice guy in real life, just like he is in his videos. His 911 was perfect. His buddy was my driving instructor and told me he was famous, so I Googled him and fell down the rabbit hole. Now I have a dual action polisher, tons of compounds/polishes, waxes, about a billion microfiber towels, you name it. I also have a closet in my garage dedicated to detailing supplies.
Appreciate 0