BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Xtian
Illuminated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

What have we learned about tires?

Tires. Wow. The high performance OEM ones are expensive. They're lovely in the summer, but completely WORTHLESS in the snow. Slip and sliiiiide. They've never met a pothole they've gotten along with.

And since it might be time to replace mine, I'm wondering if it's more practical to downgrade to rubber that is more pedestrian.

Why? I drive in Brooklyn and that's nothing but bumps, cracks, manhole covers, pot holes, etc. The OEM run flats will knock your fillings loose.

On the other hand, there seems to be a ton of sheet metal screws littering the streets. I just pulled one out of my front tire. Run Flats have their appeal.

So I ask, and post it as a new thread, "what have we collectively, as a group, decided is the way to go given these circumstances now that we have years of perspective and experience?"

Performance vs. Comfort.
Seasonal traction.
Run Flat vs. Lugging a spare around
Cost ($1500 +/- for a set of POTENZA RE050A RFT)

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I got rid of my runflats in favor of Goodyear Eagle GT AS tires. It made a huge difference in comfort, and I bought a small 12V compressor and string plugs. I also have a spare in my garage if needed. I've plugged many tires over the years, so am comfortable with it.

Plus, the tires are more resilient to damage, handle better and smoother, and are much less expensive.
      04-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I got rid of my runflats in favor of Goodyear Eagle GT AS tires. It made a huge difference in comfort, and I bought a small 12V compressor and string plugs. I also have a spare in my garage if needed. I've plugged many tires over the years, so am comfortable with it.

Plus, the tires are more resilient to damage, handle better and smoother, and are much less expensive.
Pretty much did the same setup but with BG Goodrich G-Comp 2 A/S. See the comments in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392234
      04-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I do ultra-high performance non-runflats in the summer (MPSS, now MPS4S) when it's warm enough to take advantage of the tire, often keeping one of my winter wheels in the trunk as a spare.

And in the winter I use runflats (currently Blizzak LM-25). I won't compromise on the winters being runflat. It is incredibly dangerous to be on the side of the road in a snowstorm trying to change or even patch/fill a tire. Been there, done that.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

What I've learned is that no tire can keep up with dedicated snow tires when there is snow and ice on the street. Given that you live in an area that has short sight lines, and a lot of cross traffic, I'd seriously consider them for winter duty.
Run flat tires have improved in the past few years, but they still lag behind in compliance, traction, and often noise areas as well.
If you do put grippy summer tires on, you will soon realize that our cars' suspensions are set up for run flats with soft bushings, springs, and shock valving.
It really boils down to what you use the car for. Tires like the Michelin AS3+ strike a pretty good balance between winter traction, grip, compliance, and wear. You might want to look into them if you need your car to do it all well.
As always, YMMV. I'm interested in other members' comments...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

switched to Michelins dumped the run flats..
bought a ebay air compressor and plugs due to the lack of spare..
so far so good.. went spec sizes .. rides smoother.. its also not as rough..
but ofcourse u loose the security of just driving on the run flat to the dealer wich is always nice..
      04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

I learned that the factory suspension was designed around the stiffness of the runflats when I bought a second set of wheels and put on continental dws all seasons. The Contis are much more comfortable, great traction in rain. Can't comment on the snow part, because my car is garaged in the winter. With that said, I can't wait to wear them out so I can go back to runflats. I've lost half of my trunk with a spare tire and associated jack/breaker bar, and I want the feel the car had with the proper tires.
Appreciate 2
Blader26.00
Xtian10.50
      04-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Went through the same dilemma. Been running runflats without a spare for about a year now. Considered going back to runflats but just can't get myself to accept the crappy ride again. Lately realized that I can get set of Firestone Firehawk Indy500s + a BMW spare kit for about the same price as a set of runflats.

Just noticed that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs are available in 225/40 & 255/35 but WOW are they expensive. $1220 a set vs. the Firehawk's at $500.
      04-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I have owned 2 1er's and bought tires for each. first time I went with Bridgestone DriveGuards, these are a good oem replacement RFT option. Pros-affordable, ride better then oem and long lasting healthy mileage warranty. Cons-ok performance, ok handle overall meh dry and snow(didn't test out much in snow to complain) good wet. cost was $575 from Costco tax, rebate and total.

2nd time (3weeks ago) changed the oem staggered to square and ditched RFT. Michelin PSS summer tire and yet to enjoy the summer so far this year cause spring is so late or flat out no show. So today I drove on slippery roads and lived to tell the tires being new tread did surprising well all considered. Ride and performance is Excellent even tho weather has been 85% at or below 40° since install. No longer feels like sledgehammer hits the A pillar on every crack in the pavement or edge of manhole cover. this fall will get winter set to season swap, if I went for year round tire I'd gone with Michelin MXM4. cost for set of PSS $510 from TireRack.com with new rims and BMW center caps- $1152 total bill $70rebate not inc.

When everyone says no RFT's listen, add AAA membership or roadside assistance to your Insurance or get a can of inflate or live on the edge.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
My car came with Goodyear Eagle LS3 runflats, they (as far as I can remember) rode smoothly on smooth highway, but got choppy and noisy over sharper bumps, they were quiet, and they handled adequately for my driving experience at the time. However, I got a severe puncture in one, and found that they were nearly $300 per tire, and could not be repaired.

Went to Tire Rack and shopped around for reasonably-priced performance tires (first step in modding). I was looking at the Ultra-High Performance Summer Tire category, and was split between my current Kumho Ecsta PS31 and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I went with the Kumhos for the lower pricepoint, and because they had good wet and dry traction ratings, whereas the Fstone was biased more towards dry grip (rainy summers here). I did not get a spare tire, instead opting for a Slime kit. Come Winter, I ordered some General G-Max AS05's, again for the lower pricepoint, and their good overall rating on TR. They were adequate in about two inches of light snow, but I wouldn't take it out on any more than that (that's about all the ground clearance I have). I did many drifts and donuts, too...

As for the tires I mentioned:
Kumho Ecsta PS31 (225/45ZR17 on 17x7.5)
-Ride firm, but not harsh
-Handle crisply, but aren't darty
-Have very good wet and dry traction, even with very little tread remaining
-Got mine for $59 per tire, new

General Tire G-Max AS-05 (225/45R17 on Style 256)
-Ride smoothly, floats a little over bridge joints
-Handle fine, but have a disconnected feeling
-Good dry traction, excellent wet traction, adequate snow traction
-~$80 per tire, new

Oh yeah, and I haven't had a puncture, even driving 3 hours to Colonial Williamsburg, and driving to Maryland repeatedly (worst roads I've ever seen) for Volleyball tournaments...
      04-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Seems that all the hoopla over tires you're having and money you wish to spend could buy a cheap daily car and spare the BMW from the daily damages.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

I'm following this thread too since I have 3-4/32" left on my rears, but 7/32" on the fronts. They are Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST RFT in 215/40R18 and 245/35R18. At around $300 each, I'm thinking of just replacing the rears for now, and probably with something different and considering non-RFT. Any suggestions? I don't need snow traction, but would like wet traction (in Florida). I don't track my car but would like it if the tires hook up and don't peel out all the time. Comfort, noise, and wear are also considerations.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I learned that the factory suspension was designed around the stiffness of the runflats when I bought a second set of wheels and put on continental dws all seasons. The Contis are much more comfortable, great traction in rain. Can't comment on the snow part, because my car is garaged in the winter. With that said, I can't wait to wear them out so I can go back to runflats. I've lost half of my trunk with a spare tire and associated jack/breaker bar, and I want the feel the car had with the proper tires.
I arrived at the same conclusion after I had a set of upsized Michelin PSS installed on my first 135i.

That being said, I've got no interest in going back to RFTs. I'm sold on running PSS on my current 135i, and look forward to replacing my current worn rears with a fresh set. I keep an M Mobility kit in the trunk and a AAA card in my wallet. Eventually, I'll have the M3 bushings and arms installed along with Bilstein dampers.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
jetblackone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Bridgestone Driveguard

Installed these on my 128i and am pleased with them. Decent dry and excellent wet performance. Noticeably improved ride quality over the OEM Goodyear’s (which I didn’t think were that bad). Gave a lot of thought to Pilot A/S3+ but stuck wit( runflats for the peace of mind. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

All depends on what your goals are. I wouldn't buy the Bridgestone's, they are horrifically overpriced.

No Extreme/Max Performance Summer tire is going to do well in winter weather.

If you want a all year tire, I'd just go with Conti DWS or similar.
Appreciate 1
Xtian10.50
      04-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #16
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Another nyc area driver here. My cars a Cabrio and I put my family in it. The car is safer with runflats for my purposes. If it was a coupe, I’d be MPSS all day. That said, I upsized the fronts to 225 and feel it made a significant difference in balance and how it handles the road inconsistencies. I went through 4 215 fronts and 3 rims in 4 years time with a NON DD car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
Another nyc area driver here. My cars a Cabrio and I put my family in it. The car is safer with runflats for my purposes. If it was a coupe, I’d be MPSS all day. That said, I upsized the fronts to 225 and feel it made a significant difference in balance and how it handles the road inconsistencies. I went through 4 215 fronts and 3 rims in 4 years time with a NON DD car.

Wow! I thought our roads were bad...lived here for 15 years, and we've never broken a rim or blew out a tire from potholes, only ended up parking on a nail at a BBQ place 200 miles from home in my dad's former E39, which had a highly stylish full-size spare (Style 19's).
      04-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian View Post
Tires. Wow. The high performance OEM ones are expensive. They're lovely in the summer, but completely WORTHLESS in the snow. Slip and sliiiiide. They've never met a pothole they've gotten along with.

And since it might be time to replace mine, I'm wondering if it's more practical to downgrade to rubber that is more pedestrian.

Why? I drive in Brooklyn and that's nothing but bumps, cracks, manhole covers, pot holes, etc. The OEM run flats will knock your fillings loose.

On the other hand, there seems to be a ton of sheet metal screws littering the streets. I just pulled one out of my front tire. Run Flats have their appeal.

So I ask, and post it as a new thread, "what have we collectively, as a group, decided is the way to go given these circumstances now that we have years of perspective and experience?"

Performance vs. Comfort.
Seasonal traction.
Run Flat vs. Lugging a spare around
Cost ($1500 +/- for a set of POTENZA RE050A RFT)

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Correct, even the E90 series and every other BMW in that era that is non M run RFTs and the suspension is designed around it. I believe even if you purchase a new BMW F series they also come with RFTs, unless it is a M140/M240/M340 etc with the "sports package" that comes without? i am unsure.

Anyways i just installed new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 non RFT, i also have a BMW tire repair kit in the trunk (that gooey stuff built into the compressor). Should be fine to limp to a tire shop, i never trusted those spares in the back fitted, they take up a lot of space and in case of sudden brake/crash you really do not want a 10kg+ wheel being fired from the trunk, but that is me.

My tires were actually nicely priced, got them online. 225/40/18Y PS4 for €105 each, + €20 to fit them and i have an alignment next week (€79).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #19
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Glad to see another NYC guy on here! I'm in BK and feel your pain about the nails and screws from construction.

It all depends on what you want out of the car. I personally have 3 sets of tires way overkill. In my opinion you can pick up a decent set of used winter wheels and tires for $500 and then have a warm weather tires like pilot super sports, which seem to be the preferred tire by almost everyone. I'm guessing space is limited and might be tough for storage for two sets.

I run the following
Winter - General Arcticmax great winter tire
Summer/Long Roadtrips/daily - Michelin pilot super sports great all around summer performance tire moderately priced
Track/summer - Hankook rs4 awesome tire but will wear quickly due to softer compound

I also carry a full size spare it's super annoying.

Also tire rack has good prices and there is a mobile tire shop recommended by them where you can ship your tires. They then will come to you on your schedule and mount/balance your tires, it's awesome and def do it. It's a van with the tire mounting and balancing tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

The best tires period are Michelins. All my cars are shod with Michelin AS3. They give a decent amount of wear and a decent ride even with a fairly stiff suspension. Fortunately, we don't get a lot of snow here, so they are OK in the winter. If we did, I'd probably buy an all wheel drive vehicle and put on some Michelin snows!

Over the years, I've tried most of the prominent high performance tires, and the Michelins have surpassed all. Incidentally, the worst tire I've experienced was the run flats. It didn't take long for me to change them out and sell them. I got $500 for the set which paid a good amount of the Michelin's price.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5nKTyiuR0rPBNI
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #21
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Max perf summer tires no spare. Go hard or go home.
      04-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I need longer lasting tires. My Hankook Ventus V12 Evo are only lasting 13-15k miles in the rear. Fronts are fine and last double or more than the rears.

Any recommendations?