BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
What BOV are you using?

What BOV are you guys using? I'd like to get an upgraded chargepipe with a BOV soon but idk which BOV to get. I want one that's reliable, easy to use, and sounds good. I don't want to spend all that money for a BOV I can't hear so that's why I'm not really interested in a Tial. Synapse has reliability issues so that's off the table as well. That leaves HKS and Turbosmart Raceport. I'm not the biggest fan of the high pitched noise the HKS makes but it is audible and the diaphragm design should mean that it'll be easier to use as I won't have to mess with spring rates. From what I've read, people seem to love the TSRP. They sound alright from what I've seen on YouTube. Keep in mind I've never heard an HKS or Turbosmart in person, only on video. So which would you guys recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
What BOV are you guys using? I'd like to get an upgraded chargepipe with a BOV soon but idk which BOV to get. I want one that's reliable, easy to use, and sounds good. I don't want to spend all that money for a BOV I can't hear so that's why I'm not really interested in a Tial. Synapse has reliability issues so that's off the table as well. That leaves HKS and Turbosmart Raceport. I'm not the biggest fan of the high pitched noise the HKS makes but it is audible and the diaphragm design should mean that it'll be easier to use as I won't have to mess with spring rates. From what I've read, people seem to love the TSRP. They sound alright from what I've seen on YouTube. Keep in mind I've never heard an HKS or Turbosmart in person, only on video. So which would you guys recommend?
I have a Tial Q BOV. IDK where you heard that it doesn't sound good. Even on a stock map you could clearly hear it. Now that I've turned up the boost, even more so.

It's inexpensive, but its solid and sounds good. I got the Arm charge pipe with it and it's really a great combo with a great price. I recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Quote:
I have a Tial Q BOV. IDK where you heard that it doesn't sound good. Even on a stock map you could clearly hear it. Now that I've turned up the boost, even more so.

It's inexpensive, but its solid and sounds good. I got the Arm charge pipe with it and it's really a great combo with a great price. I recommend it.
Really? Everywhere I've read about it people have said that you can't hear it unless you're really listening for it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Everywhere I've read about it people have said that you can't hear it unless you're really listening for it
You could hear it, especially when the windows are rolled down.

Keep in mind, with an auto car, you're not going to hear it as often as a manual car because when the throttle is being applied between the gear changes, the air won't Blow off, it just keeps getting pushed into the throttle body. Maybe that's where people's confusion is.

But even with the windows up on my 335i, I could hear it when it goes off.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind, with an auto car, you're not going to hear it as often as a manual car because when the throttle is being applied between the gear changes, the air won't Blow off, it just keeps getting pushed into the throttle body. Maybe that's where people's confusion is.

Do you have any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have any sound clips?
Not right now. Cars out of commission (turbos are shot)

I'm sure there's plenty on the web somewhere. Maybe YouTube?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

I had TiAL on my 135i Auto. Could not hear it. I now have Forge & it sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

If this works,

https://www.facebook.com/10001453812...993553/?type=3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 02:32 AM   #9
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I had TiAL on my 135i Auto. Could not hear it. I now have Forge & it sounds amazing.
Isn't Forge an upgraded DV setup? So wouldn't it sound stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 02:33 AM   #10
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Is that the Tial?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Active Autowerke. It's my favorite one not just sound but for looks too. It doesn't sound like a typical JDM BOV
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I have just disconnected the stock diverter valves and put filters on the end. It sounds pretty good. It's definitely every bit as audible as a legitimate VTO BOV. I definitely recommend it.

My reasoning is that vent-to-atmosphere BOVs are illegal in Australia and if the police hear it they can defect the car and order it be "repaired". By just running disconnected diverter valves, I get the sound of a BOV with the ability to simply reconnect them on the side of the road if the police hassle me about it or if I get bored of the sound. It's a win-win if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Is that the Tial?
yes
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

Asifilcious,

I had the VRSF charge pipe & TiAL BOV on my auto however I wanted to be able to hear that sound. After my Turbos went bad I replaced w/ RB Next Gens and Bimmer Performance Center made a custom tune and replaced my charge pipe & BOV to Forge. I asked to hear the BOV when they created the tune. Idk if they had to do something to the BOV but it can definitely be heard now.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry it took so long. Here's the active Autowerke one.
Attached Images

BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 1