BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 Sedona Red 135i

High Mileage - To Buy or Not To Buy?

Hi everyone,

So I’m in the market for a 135i 6MT and came across a 2011 with 130k on the clock for $11.5k. M Sport package, Nav, but no heated seats (which I actually did want). Seller states he has full service records and has recently done the water pump, walnut blasted and changed the battery.

2 questions: First, should I reconsider purchasing a car with this mileage? Secondly, if still recommend, what are some likely points of concern that I should look for?

I’ll be taking the car in for a PPI at a reputable shop near the seller and wanted to make sure I’m as informed as possible on what I should expect.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUX_nyc View Post
Hi everyone,

So I’m in the market for a 135i 6MT and came across a 2011 with 130k on the clock for $11.5k. M Sport package, Nav, but no heated seats (which I actually did want). Seller states he has full service records and has recently done the water pump, walnut blasted and changed the battery.

2 questions: First, should I reconsider purchasing a car with this mileage? Secondly, if still recommend, what are some likely points of concern that I should look for?

I’ll be taking the car in for a PPI at a reputable shop near the seller and wanted to make sure I’m as informed as possible on what I should expect.

Thanks!
Chassis-wise, the car should still be flawless. My car spent 160k miles in Maryland (worst roads ever, after NJ) before I bought it; through a huge snowstorm a few years back and all the hot and humid summers, and there's very little to no rust (some surface corrosion on rear subframe is all I've seen).

Suspension-wise, you'll definitely want/need to do some fresh bushings on it, as the basic ones wear quickly and ruin the handling and ride of the car.

Engine-wise, it sounds like it has had the big-ish stuff taken care of. Definitely have a PPI done, I didn't, but the dealer still replaced a cracked power steering cooler before delivering it, for free, which was awesome. I'd look for oil leaks on the oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, and oil pan since they're all common leak locations. Check and see if the high pressure fuel pump was replaced, as those are nearly guaranteed to say "auf wiedersehen" at some point. There's a lot of information you can find here, as we are a pretty supportive and engaged community.

Really, just be sensible, and don't get attached to the car (I did, but regret nothing) as it could lead to a bad decision...

Hope to see another new-to-someone 135i!
Esteban43745.00
LUX_nyc25.00
      04-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

chris_flies gave some solid advice. Check this thread for a lot of helpful info. PPI is a definite must do. Good luck.
      04-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

I would see all the service records available and go from there. Generally speaking, if the oil has been changed every 5-7k, hasn't been overheated, hasn't been modified by a kid and put back to stock and isn't grinding 3rd gear, you'll be fine. What are your expectations of the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I was recently looking at 135i cars, and that price is a bit high for the miles. I found under 80K 135i's for $12K. But maybe they all sold.
      04-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

chris_flies Thank you for the thorough reply! Much appreciated.

Esteban Thanks for the link, first time I see it.

captain slowly My expectations are for it not to need a $xxxx repair anytime in the near future haha.

JimVonBaden I've been hunting for about a month or so and I would say you are correct to some extent. Automatic convertibles are bottom of the totem pole and can easily be found in that price range or less for under 100k miles. As you move up into manual convertibles, auto coupes and finally manual coupes they tend to move up in price due to supply and demand - not to mention enthusiasts typically will hold out for what they truly believe the car is worth.

Also while this particular 135i is not the color I was looking for (LeMans Blue) it is what many consider the "best" combo of Alpine White/Coral Red which adds the exclusivity tax.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Esteban Thanks for the link, first time I see it.

captain slowly My expectations are for it not to need a $xxxx repair anytime in the near future haha.

JimVonBaden I've been hunting for about a month or so and I would say you are correct to some extent. Automatic convertibles are bottom of the totem pole and can easily be found in that price range or less for under 100k miles. As you move up into manual convertibles, auto coupes and finally manual coupes they tend to move up in price due to supply and demand - not to mention enthusiasts typically will hold out for what they truly believe the car is worth.

Also while this particular 135i is not the color I was looking for (LeMans Blue) it is what many consider the "best" combo of Alpine White/Coral Red which adds the exclusivity tax.
Funny, in my area convertibles command a premium, and manual trans cars sell slowly. I guess it is location based.
      04-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

All depends on what your budget is, but if the maintenance records are solid and the car is in good shape and you want it, go for it.

I tend to be the opposite when it comes to used cars with higher maintenance requirements, I will pay a premium for a lower, mileage flawless car that won't need the maintenance for awhile.

Of course, I purchased my '13 135i 3 months ago with 26k miles on it, and drove it back from 800 miles away. And now at 28k it sounds like it needs the tensioner pulley and belt. Dammit!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I was recently looking at 135i cars, and that price is a bit high for the miles. I found under 80K 135i's for $12K. But maybe they all sold.
Agreed that the price seems a touch high, but the N55's do seem to go for more than N54's with similar mileage
      04-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Agreed that the price seems a touch high, but the N55's do seem to go for more than N54's with similar mileage
It really runs the gamut with a number of different factors at play. N54 vs N55 didnt seem to make as much of a difference as it seemed newer MY alone dictates higher price - 2013 are regularly asking 20k+. Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to remembering pricing on colors/convertibles as I wasn't interested in them but given what I was looking for (6MT, coupe, blue/white exterior, nav, m sport) the average seemed to be anywhere from 14k (typically not optioned, 75k-100k) to 18k (under 75k, optioned). Very few examples came up for me nationwide under 14k that werent extremely questionable.

The way I see it, paying 50% more isnt worthwhile assuming they have been equally maintained. Now I could be totally wrong and come back a month later crying about my high mileage woes but seeing as there haven't been any "run for the hills" replies, I'm hoping I'll be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
All depends on what your budget is, but if the maintenance records are solid and the car is in good shape and you want it, go for it.

I tend to be the opposite when it comes to used cars with higher maintenance requirements, I will pay a premium for a lower, mileage flawless car that won't need the maintenance for awhile.

Of course, I purchased my '13 135i 3 months ago with 26k miles on it, and drove it back from 800 miles away. And now at 28k it sounds like it needs the tensioner pulley and belt. Dammit!
Hopefully this isnt the case but it would be an apt example of low mileage not always equating to trouble-free.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Just to use as a datapoint, I recently bought a 2012 135i M-Sport manual w/o Nav with 38K miles from Carmax for $19,990, and they're not exactly known as being the best deal in the world. I bought from them because I could add the MaxCare warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

At least you know its not a lemon...
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      04-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I think you'll be good. I always prefer private sales, records and PPI. Another easy point of reference is what tires he has on car; MPSS very good, Wang Ho Super Track, not so good.

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 04-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #14
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:

well then, you will be very disappointed. Do it. What could go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #15
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I think you'll be good. I always prefer private sales, records and PPI. Another easy point of reference is what tires he has on car; MPSS very good, Wang Ho Super Track, not so good.
funny, but I judge cars the same way. Ling Longs or hankooks on there? Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that everything else was taken care of the same way; cheapest way possible or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Funny, in my area convertibles command a premium, and manual trans cars sell slowly. I guess it is location based.
In the world of old Porsche 911s (older than 10 years), two wheel drive, manual coupes are at a premium. On the other end of the spectrum - automatic convertibles, (worse if it’s a C4) take a huge hit.

Buyers of new 911s will get the PDK Coupe or PDK Cab. Enthusiasts look for the second hand manual coupes once they’ve dropped in price.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #17
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Thumbs down A Waste of Money!

What's the typical lifetime of these cars? You are paying a high price for the remaining mileage left in this buggy. And a car with this mileage will have problems with shocks, springs, and other suspension parts wearing out besides the known problems these cars have.

I'd bet money you'll spend at least the amount of money you paid for the car in repairs as the car ages towards its final demise. Add another $9K or slightly better and you easily find a much lower mileage car.

BTW, I've been buying and selling cars for years, and I've never found service records to be of much value. The only thing worthwhile is an inspection by a competent mechanic. I have one I've been using for years, so I seldom get stung.

Finally, I'll tell you what this car is worth, around $4k.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
What's the typical lifetime of these cars? You are paying a high price for the remaining mileage left in this buggy. And a car with this mileage will have problems with shocks, springs, and other suspension parts wearing out besides the known problems these cars have.

I'd bet money you'll spend at least the amount of money you paid for the car in repairs as the car ages towards its final demise. Add another $9K or slightly better and you easily find a much lower mileage car.

BTW, I've been buying and selling cars for years, and I've never found service records to be of much value. The only thing worthwhile is an inspection by a competent mechanic. I have one I've been using for years, so I seldom get stung.

Mr Unhappy Jose is at it again!

Every car is different based on its maintenance history. Lots of modern cars easily exceed 200K miles.
      04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:

Unless this car has a salvage title it still is prob worth more then $4k.- who let the bag of sourpuss in?

If you would like a list of what a car like this have gone thru the auctions as of late, I have some connections.- see thats how this works in the spirit of 1Addicts

Last edited by Tuxedo; 04-19-2018 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling eerror?s
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #20
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Generally speaking, i never shy away from a high mileage car IF all the records prove the work. Would you walk away from say a 200K mileage car that has all the "usuals" just replaced 1K miles ago? including new brakes all round, tires, fluids etc?

But it does not have heated seats, not sure where you live but here in Bavaria Germany, it is a no brainer, BMW heated seats are OP. Turn them on and 3 minutes later your bum is on fire, they are one of the best in the business in this department.

I have seen bone stock BMW engines last 300,000 kms on the Nordschleife. That is 300,000 kms redlining, nothing but an oil change every 5,000kms/season. So apply that logic (as long as maintenance is done correctly) to any car.

I have personally achieved 373,000kms on our 96 bmw 328is, service was done every interval. Yes we went through 3-4 water pumps, lots of tires and brakes, a few belts and some sensors, but mechanically there was nothing wrong with it.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #21
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
Unless this car has a salvage title it still is prob worth more then $4k.- who let the bag of sourpuss in?

If you would like a list of what a car like this have gone thru the auctions as of late, I have some connections.- see thats how this works in the spirit of 1Addicts
OK maybe $5K!

BTW, I buy cars all the time through public and dealer auctions. If it had a salvage title, it'd be worth zip.

In the public auctions, the bidders often pay way too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK maybe $5K!

BTW, I buy cars all the time through public and dealer auctions. If it had a salvage title, it'd be worth zip.

In the public auctions, the bidders often pay way too much.
Feel free to contact me when you come across a clean 6MT 135i
Appreciate 0