European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Bluedriver...anyone using?

I know there is discussion on bimmercode and bimmerlink, but Ive been trying to research an app(and connector) for bluedriver. It works with most any car made in the last few years. As I have a few cars including a 2018 m4, it would be delightful to use one tool for a number of cars.. plus it looks substantially more powerful than bimmercode.

Anyone use it?

Thanks much

Al
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
It looks like BlueDriver requires connection over bluetooth and uses its own OBD2 connector, not sure if its proprietary or if the app can be used universally with other bluetooth OBD2 connectors. Its also just a scan/diagnostics tool.

Bimmercode is for coding and making parameter changes to the car, and uses a Wifi connection OR Bluetooth. I chose to go with a Wifi connector after doing a ton of research. I have yet to try the other bimmerlink app for diagnostics and the other features it offers.

I use the Vgate Wifi iCar2 OBDII Elm327 connector in my BMW for coding with bimmercode, but it is also very universal and works perfect with other OBD2 scan/diagnostics apps that use a wifi connection. I have multiple apps and use it in multiple cars. I use the same Vgate with the OBD Car Doctor app (free) for getting diagnostics and clearing codes in my Subaru, and also use the Vgate in my 2017 Lexus IS with the Carista app (free) to code or change parameters of certain settings in the car, and of course in my F80 M3 and old F30 335i for coding with bimmercode. So the connector itself is super versatile and can be used in any car, you just might need multiple apps for what you need accomplished (coding, diagnostics, etc), some apps might be more useful or specific to a certain car, as where another app might have different or better features for use in another car.

You might be stuck using BlueDriver and ONLY their app with it among all your cars if they do in fact use a proprietary connector which only links with their app and not other apps. But I could be wrong, maybe its more universal than it makes out to be. And its 99 bucks which seems a little steep. Curious if anyone else has any input on if its proprietary or not. But the Vgate works wonders and has exceeded my expectation for all my cars and a variety of needs, and for only 22 bucks its totally worth it in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Elm327-...85NV9KA1SJPH83

Last edited by F80_BK; 04-04-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
thank you.. you've answered my question.. Ill just stick with the vgate.

Thanks much
Appreciate 0