BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
k3vin0615
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335I M sport

why would you?

ok bit of rant here.

im an F30 guy here but no hate as i admire and love the 135i.

but so far ive met 2 people who swear their 135i are "just like an 1M' so they go around boasting that they have a "classic" and therefor only drive it on weekends.

BRB paying 12k and thinking they got a great deal on a 1M.
BRB car with 120k miles lol

Last edited by k3vin0615; 04-02-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

LOLZ
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin0615 View Post
ok bit of rant here.

but so far ive met 2 people who swear their 135i are "just like an 1M' so they go around boasting that they have a "classic" and therefor only drive it on weekends.

Yeah definitely not the common theme. I'd say a real 1M is a pretty likely car to be a classic. The 135/rest of the lot simply will not be. I don't see the depreciation slowing down or changing direction any time soon, they're just too expensive to maintain and not quite rare/special enough.

I love my 135 but I've never seen it as a potential collectors item, nor would I compare it to a 1M in pretty much any way.
      04-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
k3vin0615
Private
Rep

ok so i have a friend who knows im into BMWs.
so we went out to eat one day and he mentioned me that he knew someone who had just bought a M1.
i said to him M1 or 1M because those are two different animals.
he showed me a picture of the guy from his snapchat with his M1 which turns out to be a 135i. lol

so after i finally stop loling i ask if he can ask the guy he knows to meet up so i can check out his "1M' lol

we meet at a carwash and holy shit this guy swears up and down his 135i is a 1M.
and proceeds to call me an idiot for not recognizing one even though i also have a BMW. lol

lmfao. he proudly proceeds to show me around his "1M"

FYI: IT WAS NOT A 1M!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
This is a bit surprising as I have never encountered a 1 series owner with this mentality. Not calling you a liar or anything, I just personally haven't seen this. F30 owners and M badges however...
Appreciate 7
      04-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Doesn't sound like anyone I've noticed here. I don't think the 135i will be "the" classic, but it'll be the tuner car is the bunch.

In my mind, currently:
1M = Future Classic
135i = Tuner Car
128i = Purist (Maybe) Car/Daily-of-Choice

In the future:
1M = Modern Classic (Up there with E39 M, E46 M, etc)
135i = Tuner Car (A modern MkIV Supra?)
128i = Cult Following, Budget Track Car, Purists Choice (E30, 2002, etc)

That's how each 1'er ranks to me...
      04-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
k3vin0615
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
This is a bit surprising as I have never encountered a 1 series owner with this mentality. Not calling you a liar or anything, I just personally haven't seen this. F30 owners and M badges however...
ok someone decided not to read. it has nothing to do with M badges.
it has to do with a 1M being the same thing as a 135i just better suspension and LSD.

therefore thinking owning a 135i=1M
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
ok bit of rant here.

I have also run across a lot of people that say their 135i is as good or better than a 1M because they have a tune or bigger turbo and just discount the differences on the 1M. The 135i and 128i are great cars but the 1M is significantly different. Even if 135i is faster in a straight line the rack is different. Flywheel, suspensión bodywork, brakes, differential MDM software etc. Many just say if 0-60 time is same or faster it is just as good or better. One of my favorite cars is the 135is and there is a new article about how it is a better deal than 1M and "more rare" because they made 500 of them vs 740 1Ms. But the 135is was bolt on stuff. It has the same rack, brakes, diff and narrow bodywork as 135i. While a fantastic car it's special edition not a different sheet metal car like 1M. The suspension is still steel shock housings and pretty albeit weak brakes and slow steering rack. No hate here also love 1 series altogether but there is a lot of disrespect and ignorance of the differences between 1M and 135i. I have an E46 330i ZHP that I love and daily drive. It also has significant differences over regular 330i. It has a bespoke steering rack, cams, software, rear end, came with a 6 speed when other 330s only offered 5 speed. It had an awesome Alcántara interior but still the same body. You could bolt all the parts into a 330i. You cannot do that to a 135i without altering the sheet metal if you transferred everything over just like the sheetmetal was different between the ZHP and M3. That takes nothing away from the zhp that is the best family sports sedan ever IMHO

The 1M is overpriced when compared to a 135i but that makes people under report the differences and belittle the 1M by several vocal members here who just say 1M is a 135i with a tune.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Definitely think chris_flies is on the right track with his list there.

I do see plenty of BMW's in general with fake badging. The worst offender so far was a guy local to the DC area that listed an e88 vert as the following:
  1. RARE BMW M 135
  2. True M Performance car
  3. N54 engine (same as M3 according to his post)
  4. Limited edition model (he stuck badges on the rear quarter panels above the wheels that said "limited", not even kidding)
  5. Upgraded interior (he stuck another limited edition badge on the passenger airbag)
  6. "M" badges stuck absolutely fucking everywhere (including interior)

The post was gold but is unfortunately not up anymore, if anyone knows how to bring up an old CL ad here's the link: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...407999023.html

EDIT: Just found this goldmine from when i emailed him to see if he'd keep up the BS. It's a good read considering this was actually a base 135 vert and it contradicted so many things in his CL post. Really wish I had saved the page locally!

Copy of his email, it's amazing how much he knows and yet is simultaneously so full of shit. My favorite bit is his very last line lol:

"
Thank you so much for your interest. I really appreciate your contacting me. Before I get in to the explanation keep in mind regardless of everything about this car I’m still selling it a little below the fair market price and am within the range and below the Kelly blue book value. I attached the KBB value and fair market price to this add as one of the breakers photographs.

So with that said, like I said in the add, I called BMW to talk about this and to try and get some clarification from them. It’s not commonly known and many people who think they are BMW “Experts” or “aficionados” have no idea about this. As they (BMW) explained to me (and this often confuses a lot of people who aren’t BMW tech-nerds/gear heads), this car was a one off production for that year. The N54B30 engine was used in three series cars (335) and in the one series from 07-10. His configuration at one point was used in 2011 in the 740i. As it was explained to me, there were two cars produced over the 2009-2010 time period with the N54-B30 I6 engine. The rating of the car was at 300HP (teated at 302HP). This is already a lot of HP in smaller car like this. These cars could be purchased with the M-series trim packages that one could have placed on a vehicle at that time. Then there was the one series built (late 09-10) with the tuned N54B30 I6 engine which had the Parallel Twin Turbo chargers rather than the single stack turbo which is sometimes referred by many as a bi-turbo. Some people think other years have twin turbos but it’s not correct it was two turbos but stacked not parallel / next to each other running simultaneously. That’s a major difference. So other years the cars had A duel tubo and some companies even call them twin turbos but they are stacked in a single turbo, not two parallel side by side (basically) turbo changers. This adds additional torque and HP. People get confused but think in their expert and professional wisdoms that it’s not actually two separate turbo changes on the regular 135s like this one is. The 135‘s that were the standard 135’s that came with only the trim package on it had that rating of 300HP, not 332HP. It’s a huge difference when you talk about thirty extra HP. I have driven the regular 135is with the trim package and it doesn’t drive anything like this car because 30 Plus hp is significant, especially in this smaller and lighter car. When you throw in the M suspension, track-breaks, performance exhaust etc it makes a huge difference in torque and handling.

So, In late 2009 early 2010 BMW produced a vehicle that you could order in that year from BMW which is what I did. I had to order it from Germany (Wait like five months) and it had the 335-N54-B30-I6 engine in it with the parallel twin turbo system and some other items added to it in order to compensate / handle all this extra HP and torque that the engine was now putting out, which gave it the 332hp rating. It was further explained to me that BMW in 09 actually intentionally misrepresented their specification sheets so as not to negatively impact the three series sales. BMW is doing the same thing today with M240 and the M2. The M240 (369HP is faster and has more HP than the M2 (361HP) BMW specification sheets are intentionally incorrect by BMW. That’s a fact corroborated by several people who are in to racing BMWs. People who couch surf and own BMWs and do a bunch of reading and fought with me about it and they eat their words after talking to DINAN. The M135i has been bench tested by DINAN which is essentially the only BMW certified street racer modification company in the United States, and it put out 332hp. A local company tested it and it put out 335HP, because of the performance exhaust this comes with from the factory (Like the 135is which gave the normal one five extra Hp) and the K&N air filter. As I understand it, people who like to street race and track race really enjoy buying this specific car that I have because it’s easily modifiable, light, maneuverable and not too much work to have it get closer to 400 hp with some certified DINAN modifications.

It’s a pretty cool car. I have never raced this car and always took care of it like a baby. You may see other BMW 135i convertible vehicles in the area and some will have the M trim kit, but this one is not like them. All the information provided in my add was information given to me by an authorized DINAN dealer which is a BMW modification company in southern California and another one in Virginia, and it was all verified by a local BMW dealer. Anyone that says anything different from this is wrong and only going by spec sheets from couch-surfing in between playing XBOX. This car is a known car to professional modification companies. I have even argued with BMW techs from dealers and they also will eat their words after speaking to DIANAN who like I said is the authority on the specifics of these cars outside of BMW corporate in Germany. Plus it’s a convertible which is awesome to have and the weather will good again in less than 90 days. I will never own anything other than a convertible.

You should just come see it, you’ll want it. We can take it for a ride, you’ll love this car. Someone already wanted to buy it a few days ago after driving it he was super excited and was like “I want it” but he had terrible credit so the bank wouldn’t touch him. He was going to try some other route but his credit was destroyed from a divorce and a bankruptcy. So he isn’t going to come get it, it’s still available.

Im free all this week and this weekend. You want to come check it out? Seeing and feeling is believing."
      04-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Definitely think chris_flies is on the right track with his list there.

I do see plenty of BMW's in general with fake badging. The worst offender so far was a guy local to the DC area that listed an e88 vert as the following:
  1. RARE BMW M 135
  2. True M Performance car
  3. N54 engine (same as M3 according to his post)
  4. Limited edition model (he stuck badges on the rear quarter panels above the wheels that said "limited", not even kidding)
  5. Upgraded interior (he stuck another limited edition badge on the passenger airbag)
  6. "M" badges stuck absolutely fucking everywhere (including interior)

The post was gold but is unfortunately not up anymore, if anyone knows how to bring up an old CL ad here's the link: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...407999023.html

EDIT: Just found this goldmine from when i emailed him to see if he'd keep up the BS. It's a good read considering this was actually a base 135 vert and it contradicted so many things in his CL post. Really wish I had saved the page locally!

Copy of his email, it's amazing how much he knows and yet is simultaneously so full of shit. My favorite bit is his very last line lol:

"
Thank you so much for your interest. I really appreciate your contacting me. Before I get in to the explanation keep in mind regardless of everything about this car IÂ’m still selling it a little below the fair market price and am within the range and below the Kelly blue book value. I attached the KBB value and fair market price to this add as one of the breakers photographs.

So with that said, like I said in the add, I called BMW to talk about this and to try and get some clarification from them. It’s not commonly known and many people who think they are BMW “Experts” or “aficionados” have no idea about this. As they (BMW) explained to me (and this often confuses a lot of people who aren’t BMW tech-nerds/gear heads), this car was a one off production for that year. The N54B30 engine was used in three series cars (335) and in the one series from 07-10. His configuration at one point was used in 2011 in the 740i. As it was explained to me, there were two cars produced over the 2009-2010 time period with the N54-B30 I6 engine. The rating of the car was at 300HP (teated at 302HP). This is already a lot of HP in smaller car like this. These cars could be purchased with the M-series trim packages that one could have placed on a vehicle at that time. Then there was the one series built (late 09-10) with the tuned N54B30 I6 engine which had the Parallel Twin Turbo chargers rather than the single stack turbo which is sometimes referred by many as a bi-turbo. Some people think other years have twin turbos but it’s not correct it was two turbos but stacked not parallel / next to each other running simultaneously. That’s a major difference. So other years the cars had A duel tubo and some companies even call them twin turbos but they are stacked in a single turbo, not two parallel side by side (basically) turbo changers. This adds additional torque and HP. People get confused but think in their expert and professional wisdoms that it’s not actually two separate turbo changes on the regular 135s like this one is. The 135‘s that were the standard 135’s that came with only the trim package on it had that rating of 300HP, not 332HP. It’s a huge difference when you talk about thirty extra HP. I have driven the regular 135is with the trim package and it doesn’t drive anything like this car because 30 Plus hp is significant, especially in this smaller and lighter car. When you throw in the M suspension, track-breaks, performance exhaust etc it makes a huge difference in torque and handling.

So, In late 2009 early 2010 BMW produced a vehicle that you could order in that year from BMW which is what I did. I had to order it from Germany (Wait like five months) and it had the 335-N54-B30-I6 engine in it with the parallel twin turbo system and some other items added to it in order to compensate / handle all this extra HP and torque that the engine was now putting out, which gave it the 332hp rating. It was further explained to me that BMW in 09 actually intentionally misrepresented their specification sheets so as not to negatively impact the three series sales. BMW is doing the same thing today with M240 and the M2. The M240 (369HP is faster and has more HP than the M2 (361HP) BMW specification sheets are intentionally incorrect by BMW. ThatÂ’s a fact corroborated by several people who are in to racing BMWs. People who couch surf and own BMWs and do a bunch of reading and fought with me about it and they eat their words after talking to DINAN. The M135i has been bench tested by DINAN which is essentially the only BMW certified street racer modification company in the United States, and it put out 332hp. A local company tested it and it put out 335HP, because of the performance exhaust this comes with from the factory (Like the 135is which gave the normal one five extra Hp) and the K&N air filter. As I understand it, people who like to street race and track race really enjoy buying this specific car that I have because itÂ’s easily modifiable, light, maneuverable and not too much work to have it get closer to 400 hp with some certified DINAN modifications.

ItÂ’s a pretty cool car. I have never raced this car and always took care of it like a baby. You may see other BMW 135i convertible vehicles in the area and some will have the M trim kit, but this one is not like them. All the information provided in my add was information given to me by an authorized DINAN dealer which is a BMW modification company in southern California and another one in Virginia, and it was all verified by a local BMW dealer. Anyone that says anything different from this is wrong and only going by spec sheets from couch-surfing in between playing XBOX. This car is a known car to professional modification companies. I have even argued with BMW techs from dealers and they also will eat their words after speaking to DIANAN who like I said is the authority on the specifics of these cars outside of BMW corporate in Germany. Plus itÂ’s a convertible which is awesome to have and the weather will good again in less than 90 days. I will never own anything other than a convertible.

You should just come see it, you’ll want it. We can take it for a ride, you’ll love this car. Someone already wanted to buy it a few days ago after driving it he was super excited and was like “I want it” but he had terrible credit so the bank wouldn’t touch him. He was going to try some other route but his credit was destroyed from a divorce and a bankruptcy. So he isn’t going to come get it, it’s still available.

Im free all this week and this weekend. You want to come check it out? Seeing and feeling is believing."
I'm literally dead. My ghost is typing this by telepathically controlling my friend. This is too funny!
      04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
k3vin0615
Private
Rep

and just in case people here im hating on the 135i. im not. i have a 335i because i needed something with 4 door because i have kids.

i am looking to buy a coupe though and the 135i is always in my sights.
im just looking for the right one to come up for me to grab. that or an Z4 35i.
Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
      04-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Are you sure he didn't mention a 135i M spec? Because my 135i is an M spec car, comes with a few features that the regular 135i's don't have. Not the same as an 135is either, that package has a few more goodies. Just wondering if he mentions it's M spec'd.

1M has a completely different engine. It will be a classic as not to many of them are modded, or if they are, tastefully modded at that.

135i is usually tuned to shit with so many Honda guys buying them with high mileage adding wings and shit. The only classic of this car I can forsee is a dealer owner or private owned one that has 500miles or less and just a like a classic car in 30 years. Not touched and just barely driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Sad state of affairs to be sure- all of the above...

Can you essentially turn a 135 into a 1M? Well, sure, it's been done often. Doesn't matter, a bolt for bolt clone is still a clone. Selling one as a real M is like selling an old camaro as a COPO- yeah,.... No. it is what it was when it rolled out of the factory.

Depending on the price charged it's likely to get you in court, or your ass beat. Or both...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
k3vin0615
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Are you sure he didn't mention a 135i M spec? Because my 135i is an M spec car, comes with a few features that the regular 135i's don't have. Not the same as an 135is either, that package has a few more goodies. Just wondering if he mentions it's M spec'd.

1M has a completely different engine. It will be a classic as not to many of them are modded, or if they are, tastefully modded at that.

135i is usually tuned to shit with so many Honda guys buying them with high mileage adding wings and shit. The only classic of this car I can forsee is a dealer owner or private owned one that has 500miles or less and just a like a classic car in 30 years. Not touched and just barely driven.
nope. just a regular 2008 135i with 100k miles lol.
i have never seen a 1M in person so i was actually excited thinking im gonna get to see one but it wasnt lol only in his mind it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
nope. just a regular 2008 135i with 100k miles lol.
i have never seen a 1M in person so i was actually excited thinking im gonna get to see one but it wasnt lol only in his mind it was.
There's a few here in Canada but honestly a 1M is so rare to see here in Canada. Only seen a few times a black 1M with a blonde behind the wheel.Let say that I wouldn't mind sharing a ride with that lady ahaha. There was also a white 1M heading up past Vaughan. Almost made me crash. It looked so purdy. Reminds of that time I pulled up beside a woman wearing bright red lipstick driving a Lotus Exige, my girlfriend almost punched me because I was drooling.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
and just in case people here im hating on the 135i. im not. i have a 335i because i needed something with 4 door because i have kids.

i am looking to buy a coupe though and the 135i is always in my sights.
im just looking for the right one to come up for me to grab. that or an Z4 35i.
The 135 and Z4s35i are worlds apart in drive feel - late in 2014, I turned in a 2012 E88 135 and got a 2015 Z4s35is - that thing was the sexiest car I'll probably ever own, but the fun to drive factor just wasn't there - was fast as heck and would corner when you asked it to - but never felt happy doing anything more than cruising down the road.

So I turned it back into BMW last month- it's available as a CPO at BMW of Birmingham if you are looking, it's the only VO one around

In it's place, we got another E88 135i and it's a hoot to drive - a hooligan that asks you to behave badly....

My $0.02, moral of the story: drive both for an extended test before choosing whichever is the right one for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Doesn't sound like anyone I've noticed here. I don't think the 135i will be "the" classic, but it'll be the tuner car is the bunch.

In my mind, currently:
1M = Future Classic
135i = Tuner Car
128i = Purist Car/Daily-of-Choice

In the future:

You forgot a Space Gray convertible 128i with the red interior and a nav system.
      04-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I've talked to a few uneducated BMW people the past few months who think that a BMW with the M Sport package is an M#.....
Appreciate 4
nachob2314.00
Matticus913474.50
drunkenup214.50
      04-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #19
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Maybe this thread will die soon... :sigh
      04-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #20
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post

In my mind, currently:
1M = Future Classic
135i = Tuner Car
128i = Purist Car/Daily-of-Choice

In the future:

That's a pretty interesting list, but I think it'll primarily come down to condition, especially between the 128i/135i, since it's really just a difference in engine (depending on options.) An unadulterated '94 Supra with super low miles just sold for over $80K, and it was an automatic!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #21
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
That's a pretty interesting list, but I think it'll primarily come down to condition, especially between the 128i/135i, since it's really just a difference in engine (depending on options.) An unadulterated '94 Supra with super low miles just sold for over $80K, and it was an automatic!
There are many differences between a 135i and 128i apart from the engine. Suspension, brakes, wheels, differential, drive shaft, rear sway bar on all 135's, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't know about. I think ChrisFlies nailed it in his post about the future of these cars. People just don't buy entry level BMW's and not drive them. Maybe a convertible, but most of these cars get driven a lot, and hard.
Good laugh about that CL listing. That guy should be an auto editor for CNN!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #22
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
There are many differences between a 135i and 128i apart from the engine. Suspension, brakes, wheels, differential, drive shaft, rear sway bar on all 135's, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't know about. I think ChrisFlies nailed it in his post about the future of these cars. People just don't buy entry level BMW's and not drive them. Maybe a convertible, but most of these cars get driven a lot, and hard.
Good laugh about that CL listing. That guy should be an auto editor for CNN!
Yeah! Just look at all the E30 318 and 325's used in grassroots motorsports now. Also with the E36 318 and 325/328 and E46 323/325/328/330/ZHP.

I've only seen a few Ms used as race cars, mostly because they're more expensive and that the lower cars get a point advantage in Spec racing, TT, etc.

Once the supply of these cars is sufficiently depleted, their values will explode, and no one will touch them except for investment. We've seen this with the E30s recently, and the E36s are starting to get harder to find and a little more expensive.

In a good few years we could see the 1'er and maybe E9x 3'er get more popular as track cars. Wouldn't it be so cool to see a SpecE8x series one day?!
duder13767.00