R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Current Coding Situation in the community

So I've been googling and reading as much as I can to get myself going and understand what I'm doing. However, it has been a struggle.

I'm sure accurate information is buried inside the many stickies related to the topic across multiple forums...but you don't know what you don't know...so I couldn't find success in my searches that would translate to success on my car/laptop...and reading hundreds and hundreds of pages that mostly consist of "PM Sent" for pages and pages on end...

This is what I have figured out so far...please set me straight if I am mistaken...

You need the appropriate connection interface -Got it.
Ordered ENET Cable

You need a laptop that meets the min req - Got it.
Windows 7, disabled wifi/Bluetooth and antivirus

You need the software E-SYS - Got it.
I have downloaded several versions and settled on 3.27.1 because most current info indicates its tested and fully functional. And because higher versions provide no real benefit for me.

You need the data files i.e. PSdZData - Got it.

You need a "Solution" to supplement the E-Sys software due to the need for translating the now trimmed CAFD BMW has started using and to do FDL coding. - Here is my problem. From what I can tell, there is a few options...

Launcher Pro - have to donate $(to charity, hats off to you sir!) and then TokenMaster(Developer) sends you an access code to his site. However, he is in over his head on the support and development process and is extremely backlogged. So there is, at the least, a long wait time.

Launcher PREMIUM - Apparently was a thing, then not a thing, now a thing again. However, not sure about how to obtain the current version. Old version included a token that was hard coded to expire 12/31/2017...

E-sysx(or something similar) - Cost $100 and may be my last resort if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. And not sure of the legalities of selling the software.

So am I correct in assuming I need to just wait on TM and hope that it works out or just spend the money on a different software option, of which I have no confidence any of it will work at this point...?
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Have you looked into Bimmercode App? It's pretty much gotten me what I needed done.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Have you looked into Bimmercode App? It's pretty much gotten me what I needed done.
I haven't. I've been going with the notion that E-sys is the general standard software used. But I will have to check it out.
2006 BMW 330i Sedan Manual (Sold)
1992 BMW 325i Sedan (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBishop View Post
So I've been googling and reading as much as I can to get myself going and understand what I'm doing. However, it has been a struggle.

I'm sure accurate information is buried inside the many stickies related to the topic across multiple forums...but you don't know what you don't know...so I couldn't find success in my searches that would translate to success on my car/laptop...and reading hundreds and hundreds of pages that mostly consist of "PM Sent" for pages and pages on end...

This is what I have figured out so far...please set me straight if I am mistaken...

You need the appropriate connection interface -Got it.
Ordered ENET Cable

You need a laptop that meets the min req - Got it.
Windows 7, disabled wifi/Bluetooth and antivirus

You need the software E-SYS - Got it.
I have downloaded several versions and settled on 3.27.1 because most current info indicates its tested and fully functional. And because higher versions provide no real benefit for me.

You need the data files i.e. PSdZData - Got it.

You need a "Solution" to supplement the E-Sys software due to the need for translating the now trimmed CAFD BMW has started using and to do FDL coding. - Here is my problem. From what I can tell, there is a few options...

Launcher Pro - have to donate $(to charity, hats off to you sir!) and then TokenMaster(Developer) sends you an access code to his site. However, he is in over his head on the support and development process and is extremely backlogged. So there is, at the least, a long wait time.

Launcher PREMIUM - Apparently was a thing, then not a thing, now a thing again. However, not sure about how to obtain the current version. Old version included a token that was hard coded to expire 12/31/2017...

E-sysx(or something similar) - Cost $100 and may be my last resort if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. And not sure of the legalities of selling the software.

So am I correct in assuming I need to just wait on TM and hope that it works out or just spend the money on a different software option, of which I have no confidence any of it will work at this point...?
You can get the Launcher Premium from shawnsheridan. Just PM him (which is why you are seeing so many "PM sent" posting.)

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=983244
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
You can get the Launcher Premium from shawnsheridan. Just PM him (which is why you are seeing so many "PM sent" posting.)

Good luck.
Just did again last night and he sent me the info for Premium! Should be able to give it a go tonight. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Yeah...I saw that too. The download for Premium was for a version that the token expired on 12/31/17...So it wasn't helpful as far as acquiring working software. It was overall very helpful and told me everything I needed to know otherwise. Hopefully, the new Launcher Premium I got from TokenMaster via shawnsheridan last night will be what I needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...I saw that too. The download for Premium was for a version that the token expired on 12/31/17...So it wasn't helpful as far as acquiring working software. It was overall very helpful and told me everything I needed to know otherwise. Hopefully, the new Launcher Premium I got from TokenMaster via shawnsheridan last night will be what I needed.
Although, looking at it now, it seems the links I got last night from Shawn are the same as what's in this link you posted. And it appears the thread was edited on the 27th. Hmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
2.8 is linked, which expires in June. Launcher links come from TM. Rest are mine.
Appreciate 0