Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Errors when coding '17 F80 ZCP - common fixes?

I grabbed latest software from Shawn yesterday and a friend brought over this '17 F80 ZCP.

Having previously coded my '16 F82 I'm very familiar with the process and what to expect however yesterday went differently.

I uninstalled and deleted all old software prior to downloading and installing software and psdZData that shawn sent over. Then I installed his software. Launched ESys, connected(F20 selection when launching Esys) and we coded a quick change- Remove NAV Legal Disclaimer. All was good..

Now that all was working as expected we moved onto the other changes we wanted; windows down from keyfob, single-pull doors, etc, etc. and here is where we ran into problems.

At the step where I 'read coding data' and begin editing; i was expecting to see the cheat codes over to the right hand side of the screen. while it was there it said no codes detected. shortly after attempting to code the options manually by expanding and clicking through I got an error at the 'code fdl' step and lost comm with the car. relaunching esys and restarting the machine would still not show me the valid VIN when launching esys.

i understand it can be many things that went wrong but i was hoping to hear what are the common problems that guys run into with esys as i may have overlooked something or missed a step.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
I grabbed latest software from Shawn yesterday and a friend brought over this '17 F80 ZCP.

Having previously coded my '16 F82 I'm very familiar with the process and what to expect however yesterday went differently.

I uninstalled and deleted all old software prior to downloading and installing software and psdZData that shawn sent over. Then I installed his software. Launched ESys, connected(F20 selection when launching Esys) and we coded a quick change- Remove NAV Legal Disclaimer. All was good..

Now that all was working as expected we moved onto the other changes we wanted; windows down from keyfob, single-pull doors, etc, etc. and here is where we ran into problems.

At the step where I 'read coding data' and begin editing; i was expecting to see the cheat codes over to the right hand side of the screen. while it was there it said no codes detected. shortly after attempting to code the options manually by expanding and clicking through I got an error at the 'code fdl' step and lost comm with the car. relaunching esys and restarting the machine would still not show me the valid VIN when launching esys.

i understand it can be many things that went wrong but i was hoping to hear what are the common problems that guys run into with esys as i may have overlooked something or missed a step.

thanks in advance
I had to recode my 17zcp car over the weekend and yesterday I was having connection issues for a minute and the VIN wouldnt show up either. There is a refresh button next to the VIN window in esys. I hit that and voila it popped up and had no other issues after that. Maybe give that a whirl and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
AV, Win firewall/defender,... bad cable, connection,... it could be many things. Let the car really sleep, 10-15mns and then try again. I strongly recommend disabling all PC protection as in other threads, that Win crap was intermittently interrupting connections...
Appreciate 1
bb1857868.00
      02-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
AV, Win firewall/defender,... bad cable, connection,... it could be many things. Let the car really sleep, 10-15mns and then try again. I strongly recommend disabling all PC protection as in other threads, that Win crap was intermittently interrupting connections...
Quote:
Thank you sir! That did the trick. The smallest things worry you when you're touching someone else's car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I said many things, but glad something helped I guess the Win protection crap is the culprit. There is virtually 0 risk when you are coding...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I said many things, but glad something helped I guess the Win protection crap is the culprit. There is virtually 0 risk when you are coding...
Quote:
Just needed the car to sleep for 10-15

aboulfad
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      02-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Hahaha so what happens when the car sleeps is that the silly ZGW resets. This is critical if one is switching between DHCP and APIPA for connections.
Appreciate 0