BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

1.5 Year Strategy AKA Help Me Value My Car

So, I've finally made the decision on what to move on to, and I have to make certain things work out to get there. My wife and I decided no new cars until the lease on our Macan is up, and we decide on whether or not we want to buy it out (which we're about 90% sure we do).

Buy out on the Macan will be around $40k, so I'm looking to use the loot from selling the M3 to pay for that. Question is...can I ask for more with the mods that are on it, or do I part it out?

The car has been more than meticulously maintained, I've put roughly 10k on the car since I bought it (it's sitting at 19,996), am the second owner, and I bought it from the same dealership it was originally sold from. The rod bearings have been done, it's been upgraded to CIC, LCI and all sorts of other acronyms.

All of the modifications are 100% reversible, and nothing permanent was done to the car at all. I have all of the stock suspension components as well. Although, I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T want air-suspension after they've driven in it, haha.

However...I really don't feel like going through the process of "unmodding", even though I could probably make more money with a part-out.

Anyway, just trying to pave the way for the new ride in terms of strategy, allocation, etc.

A bunch of you know the car, but here it is again:

A hint to what path I'm taking, haha...

12-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

You would make more money parting it out, and the market is bigger for stock cars I suspect. If I was looking, I'd consider the car without all the cosmetic stuff (spoilers, diffuser). Those wheels in particular are pretty marmite. Air suspension is pretty niche as well, better off on stock.

The rest of it looks good though (brakes, performance wheel etc). Someone will get a lovely car! Get the GT3 over the McLaren
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hey Raek, confused, are you S/C the car prior selling or am I mixing this up with another motor? What did the bearings look like?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

+1 unmodded cars are more desirable. Selling the mods with the car, you will recoup 50% at best of the cost. Part out can be a hassle but worth it imo. GL OP
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning. I'm hoping to find a spoiled millennial kid with lots of disposable income...but, parting out seems to be the most logical choice.

Wheels and air ride alone can probably get me close to 8k, so...there's that.

As for the McLaren...I'm hooked. The GT3 is a special car, for sure...but, after driving the McLaren...it hits every point that a supercar should be.

Also, billionaire doors...hahaha...
      12-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey Raek, confused, are you S/C the car prior selling or am I mixing this up with another motor? What did the bearings look like?
I'm supercharging it over the winter, sir. Going to enjoy the car for the next 1.5 years while I have it (I also don't beat on cars by any means, I just want some extra "oomph" when I'm out on the highway.

I actually don't see the car getting even another 7500 miles on it after the winter. Sad, but true.

I'll take a picture of the bearings this afternoon, they were totally fine...haha!
      12-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

As others had stated parting it out and making her look like a virgin, will probably be the best bet for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raek View Post
I'm supercharging it over the winter, sir. Going to enjoy the car for the next 1.5 years while I have it (I also don't beat on cars by any means, I just want some extra "oomph" when I'm out on the highway.

I actually don't see the car getting even another 7500 miles on it after the winter. Sad, but true.

I'll take a picture of the bearings this afternoon, they were totally fine...haha!
So came out like brand new hey?? Looking forward to another set of fresh bearings for a change!

Ps. Looking forward to your thougts about the blower once in place and tested as well.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Bring a trailer Raek. They way she sits. Load 180 photos with full explanations. I can't imagine you not getting what she is worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

why dump money into putting a blower on it when you know you're not even going to put 7500 miles on it until you sell it? This doesn't make any sense to me, if finances are a concern to you (i assume this thread wouldn't exist otherwise).

You can absolutely get very lucky and find a buyer wiling to pay a significant premium for the car as is - this is likely your best case scenario. That said, judging by your posts, and the market for these cars in general, i don't see this happening as i would suspect you're likely to price the car fairly high.

I personally don't see how you would recoup $8K out of your used air suspension and wheels. LCI and other OEM type mods, as well as most mods for that matter typically net very little upon re-sale in my experience. Chances are you'll come out way ahead if you returned the car back to stock and sold off the mods separately. You do have some mods that I think are desirable and should net you a pretty penny if you go this route.

Is that factory paint or a wrap? what are the specs on your car (year and mileage)?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
why dump money into putting a blower on it when you know you're not even going to put 7500 miles on it until you sell it? This doesn't make any sense to me, if finances are a concern to you (i assume this thread wouldn't exist otherwise).

You can absolutely get very lucky and find a buyer wiling to pay a significant premium for the car as is - this is likely your best case scenario. That said, judging by your posts, and the market for these cars in general, i don't see this happening as i would suspect you're likely to price the car fairly high.

I personally don't see how you would recoup $8K out of your used air suspension and wheels. LCI and other OEM type mods, as well as most mods for that matter typically net very little upon re-sale in my experience. Chances are you'll come out way ahead if you returned the car back to stock and sold off the mods separately. You do have some mods that I think are desirable and should net you a pretty penny if you go this route.

Is that factory paint or a wrap? what are the specs on your car (year and mileage)?
Supercharging because I'd like to enjoy the car maxed out for the remainder of the time that I have it. I like to build things...I get bored if the car sits as it is for two long. I've only owned it 3.5 years and it's already gone through two set of wheels/suspension and two color changes

The wheels were about $7k new and the air setup was around $4k. Figure $8k is a decent price to ask with tires that only have about 5k on them

The car is a wrap, it's Jerez black underneath. The car is a 2008, 6MT, forgot what packages, CIC, carbon fiber trim, etc and it has 19,996 miles on it currently. I put about 3k on it this past summer (and that was with forcing myself to drive it), so I don't see myself putting any more than 7,500 on it in the next year and a half (that's stretching it).

I'm thinking of putting it up for sale during the 2018 show season. That way I have plenty of time to enjoy it, get it around and maybe gauge interest at shows (maybe I'll throw a For Sale sign on it).

If that doesn't work, I can start the part out process during the fall and winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Bring a trailer Raek. They way she sits. Load 180 photos with full explanations. I can't imagine you not getting what she is worth.
That's an awesome idea. I always forget about BAT.
      12-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

No buyers will buy out the mods at full price. In fact, from my experience most cars with mods has the mods discounted to near 0-10% of original value, especially with "personal preference" type mods like interior items, suspension and wheels. Meaning you're virtually giving it away with the car.

You should strongly consider parting it out, and selling it piecemeal. That way you can likely get 40% of the original value back. It's a PITA to do, but over time you'll get a big portion of the money back.

The popular stuff will get scooped up in a week (trim, painted reflectors, grills/gills), and those will get 60-70% of the value back to you.

The bigger and more expensive stuff (electronics, suspension, wheels, tires, performance parts), that will take some time and you're looking at less than 50% of the value back.

Price accordingly, don't get greedy and someone will be there to scoop it up.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-18-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Air ride and BAT, I don't know about that
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

BTW, if you already have plans to sell the car, just sell it then. Why are you dumping a S/C into it? It's literally the most expensive thing you can do to it.
      12-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I'd probably buy the air suspension if the price is right. I have to see the car in person before anything! I need to make a trip up to Long Island again. I bought my M3 in Long Island.

My opinion, unless you find someone with enough cash to buy it out right like it is, then your best bet is reverting back to stock. Pains to see though I love your ride.
      12-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
BTW, if you already have plans to sell the car, just sell it then. Why are you dumping a S/C into it? It's literally the most expensive thing you can do to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raek View Post
Supercharging because I'd like to enjoy the car maxed out for the remainder of the time that I have it. I like to build things...I get bored if the car sits as it is for two long. I've only owned it 3.5 years and it's already gone through two set of wheels/suspension and two color changes

Quote:
You should strongly consider parting it out, and selling it piecemeal. That way you can likely get 40% of the original value back. It's a PITA to do, but over time you'll get a big portion of the money back.
I know, I'm heavily leaning towards that. I mean, I can set a time limit for having it up for sale as is...then, when I have the time next winter...start the slow and tedious process of de-modding.
      12-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Financially I strongly believe getting it back to stock and parting out the mods will make more sense. However, I also believe you can command somewhat of a premium the way it sits but it will likely take longer to find your buyer, but you will find him (or him/her for you PC types).

Putting myself in the prospective buyer position it might be tough for me to buy a black car that looks blue and is already modified according to someone else's taste but you appear to know a bit about marketing in targeting a well heeled millennial.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      12-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't understand this 1.5 year plan. Sure, 1.5 years ago, I had a feeling I was selling my car, but b/c I didn't have a car I was going into, I didn't prep and post it for sale. Fast forward to a month ago, the moment I was in contract to buy my M6, I immediately prepped my car and put it up for sale.

For you, it seems like you have the plan already to move on and have alternative transportation. If that's the case, just start the process now and sell it.

I'm selling my 08 right now. I'm telling you, this car is depreciating about $200 a month, so if you're not using it, sell it. If you already made a decision to part ways, then sell it. And if you're trying to line up the sale with the lease end buy out date of the Macan, good luck, it'll never work out that way... You'll be surprised how long it takes to sell a M3 at market pricing.
      12-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #19
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post

Putting myself in the prospective buyer position it might be tough for me to buy a black car that looks blue and is already modified according to someone else's taste but you appear to know a bit about marketing in targeting a well heeled millennial.
Even though I'm not in that age group, I keep my eyes and ears on what's going on with that scene. Most of them aren't too into building the cars themselves. I've already sold three built cars to people that didn't change them one bit.

Quote:
I don't understand this 1.5 year plan. Sure, 1.5 years ago, I had a feeling I was selling my car, but b/c I didn't have a car I was going into, I didn't prep and post it for sale. Fast forward to a month ago, the moment I was in contract to buy my M6, I immediately prepped my car and put it up for sale.
My Macan's lease is up in 1.5 years. Using whatever I get from the M3 to buy the Macan out...then, whatever's left over from that will go towards the downpayment for the McLaren (which might make a slight dent, depending on part out cash).

I also just want to see the supercharger thing out. It'd be cool to have that for the show season, and it'll make driving it that much better...for the like...5 miles I'm gonna put on it...haha.
      12-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #20
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

You can't compare the m3 to those vag cars. Every kid can come up with 10-15k , now 30-40k cash is going to be hard to sell.

What do you expect your m3's value to be in 1.5 years?
Appreciate 1
SDPLV493.00
      12-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
You can't compare the m3 to those vag cars. Every kid can come up with 10-15k , now 30-40k cash is going to be hard to sell.

What do you expect your m3's value to be in 1.5 years?
I'm hoping it'll stick around high 30's to 40. I'll be happy with that.

And, there's kids in that scene getting into wide body 458s, Gallardos, etc...they're definitely out there. It's gross, but they are
      12-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Without a doubt, I would return it back to stock. It can be hard enough to sell a stock car at market correct pricing.

Not sure you'll recoup 8k of wheels and air suspension that cost 11k new. If you do, more power to ya.

Aside from being bored and enjoying "a build" I also am in the camp of NOT going with the Supercharger. Just more to reverse when the time comes.

FWIW, I would never buy a wrapped car (thats still wrapped). Even if the installer knew what they were doing there's always a chance that the removal may not go perfectly. Being that you have a Jerez Black Coupe with very low miles, I recommend taking it off prior to the sale. I only see this benefiting the sale unless a buyer already contacts you.

Just my opinion though. Your time and coin.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50