BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

BMW Plans 26 M Cars by End of 2020

I know its not new but the dilution of the brand through M sport branding continues; to a point that I am sure my 2008 will be my first and last M car. I feel lucky that I got what I did when I did. There may never be anything like the S65 motor and M experience I have every day again.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-p...cars-end-2020/

Sad to see this direction vs keeping the M car unique and special.

Next up for me will be a Porsche 911 variant (can't decide which yet but love the GT3 on paper). What do you think about BMWs plans and how will it impact your buying decision on your next car?

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 12-08-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #2
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
My next BMW will be an X5M. Yes, it's brand dillution, but that is one bad ass beast. I'm not saying it will be my next car, but at some point, I will have an X5M. Currently, I think I'm moving towards Audi. I need a solid commuter with an auto trans and ive had my eye on the A4. I have the 6mt m3 so I don't need brute power, just a fun, convenient, entry level luxury commuter with awd as a bonus. I'm in the process of purchasing one as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I don't mind that they're doing this but at the same time I don't want this happening.

Reason why I don't mind is a lot of people like the other platforms like the X3/X4, yeah they could buy the X5/6 but for some those are too big.
      12-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I know its not new but the dilution of the brand through M sport branding continues; to a point that I am sure my 2008 will be my first and last M car. I feel lucky that I got what I did when I did. There may never be anything like the S65 motor and M experience I have every day again.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-p...cars-end-2020/

Sad to see this direction vs keeping the M car unique and special.

Next up for me will be a Porsche 911 variant (can't decide which yet but love the GT3 on paper). What do you think about BMWs plans and how will it impact your buying decision on your next car?

This way, any collegues or friends that get an "M-performance" model, can say...."I have an M, just like yours!"

GM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
This way, any collegues or friends that get an "M-performance" model, can say...."I have an M, just like yours!"

GM
This is where we can say at least we have a N/A V8
      12-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
This is where we can say at least we have a N/A V8

..even worse they don't know what naturally aspirated means!...but once they're inside your car and go for a ride, theyll ask why their car doesnt sound like this, and which point you kindly show them to the cars for sale classifieds. Haha

GM
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      12-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
..even worse they don't know what naturally aspirated means!...but once they're inside your car and go for a ride, theyll ask why their car doesnt sound like this, and which point you kindly show them to the cars for sale classifieds. Haha

GM
Exactly! All of my friends love my car, cause from the highschool I graduated from only two of us have M Cars, and both of them are E9Xs!

Big change of sound from my E92 335i to this E90 M3!
BOOF-M34451.50
      12-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Brand dilution was inevitable in my opinion. They had no idea the E30 M3 was going to be such a big hit. And every platform M is a big hit. Maybe not to purists but if you want that legendary M rawness, get an older model one like we all do now. Personally from a business standpoint it'd be dumb for them not to do what they're doing. Itd be a purists dream if they created one model of pure NA power with little tech interference so we can all drool over it, however. Also, think big picture... All the older model NA M cars are only going to increase in value as they become more desirable. May take awhile but it's going to happen. The E46 is already starting to climb back up after it flatlined. Try to find a desirable color combo E46 under 25-30k, it'll be tough. It's like the 993 P-cars but on a lower scale. More and more enthusiasts are starting to purchase the older P-cars driving their value thru the roof. Personally, I have no issue with them broadening the M brand so as my life progresses to different needs like kids, I can get an M car family mobile ?
BOOF-M34451.50
      12-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

Quote:

I'm right there with you. The top end of my budget is:

991.2 GT3
McLaren 570S or GT
R8 V10 Plus
Murcielago

The lower end is:

Gallardo
F430

I'm done with BMW after my E92. It's a great car, and I love every moment of driving it when I do...but, at the end of the day...it's still just a BMW to me. And, their brand has turned me off like crazy lately.
      12-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

There's the 2,3,4,5,6,7,X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6,Z4, and i. Someone at BMW does not know how to count.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
There's the 2,3,4,5,6,7,X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6,Z4, and i. Someone at BMW does not know how to count.
They are adding an 8, so I assume that will get one as well. But yeah, still doesnt add up
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

As I posted in the original BimmerPost News thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd
Why pretend to be a shittier version of Audi, when BMW had their own proper identity and that's what made them successful? Why would you buy a BMW when Audi does it originally better and they offer the exact same class' superior product? Van Meel is a moron.

They are simply copying everything about the VAG group's strategy with zero redemption.

Porsche is the perfect example of selling out yet still having a saving grace. They're a SUV automaker now that also has a niche lineup of amazing sports cars that made them successful in the first place. BMW fails to offer that whatsoever. They rehash engines and technology from the previous generation, put some lipstick on it, and pump it out as their best offering. Fuck that shit. If you're going to make M'd out grocery getters everywhere in your portfolio, at least give us a few thrilling, true sports car models ala Porsche's GT-series.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
Mvy541.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      12-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Let me get this straight. First, you bemoan the fact that BMW will make more M car variants. That's real M cars, not M sport cars.

Then you go so far as to say that your e92 will be your first and last M car. Why? Because they will be available to a broader audience? You just depriving yourself of driving an excellent car.

So your solution is to head over to Porsche, and buy a 911. Isn't that the car that has a TON of variants? 911, 911 S, 911 turbo, turbo s, gts, gt3,gt2...you get the point.

How will you feel if you get a turbo and pass a "regular" 911? His cost literally half of yours and has less performance, but it's still a 911. Isn't that brand dilution?

Sorry to rant here but I mean, an M240 is a damn nice car, and it doesn't cheapen an M2 or make it less special. Why would it be ok for Porsche but not BMW?
      12-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Let me get this straight. First, you bemoan the fact that BMW will make more M car variants. That's real M cars, not M sport cars.

Then you go so far as to say that your e92 will be your first and last M car. Why? Because they will be available to a broader audience? You just depriving yourself of driving an excellent car.

So your solution is to head over to Porsche, and buy a 911. Isn't that the car that has a TON of variants? 911, 911 S, 911 turbo, turbo s, gts, gt3,gt2...you get the point.

How will you feel if you get a turbo and pass a "regular" 911? His cost literally half of yours and has less performance, but it's still a 911. Isn't that brand dilution?

Sorry to rant here but I mean, an M240 is a damn nice car, and it doesn't cheapen an M2 or make it less special. Why would it be ok for Porsche but not BMW?
You didn't get what I said straight. As a collector, I bemoan the m sport cars; they dilute the actual M cars. It absolutely does cheapen an M2 to have a m240 sport. These are opinions, you have yours, I have mine.

Though I didn't bring this up in my original post, having an M version of every model is also not constructive if your goal is to produce a lineage of racing that develops as models get released. Its silly to me to slap an M label on SUVs or large sedans. I liked it a lot better 10 years ago when M really meant you were getting something unique. Now, its become a way to up sell an existing model when there is really no need to have a M SUV or 8 series. They are perfectly capable without such nonsense add ons that don't fit the kind of car they are.

Part of what is important to me when buying a car like this and may not be to you is not just price or if its a" damn nice car", but its to have something more exclusive that is likely to appreciate over time. I hold on to my sports cars for a long time. I like the idea of having a true race car with lower production numbers that has had a focused evolution. Like how the 997 evolved to and where the 991 is going. Porsche builds SUVs that are awesome, but they don't feel the need to slap a GT3 package on it. They seem to be focused on making the money they need from the core line of cars and still build something special for the race enthusiast who is willing to drop the coin.

I still like my M3 a lot, and will own it for as long as it lasts. But I have no expectation that it will appreciate any time soon because of the travesty that is the M sport branding effort. Nor will a series with 100k produced have the exclusivity of a vehicle with production numbers that are sub 10k or less. BMW as a brand has lost its direction when it comes to its racing identity by the direction M/M Sport is taking. I don't see the same thing in Porsche.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 12-19-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #15
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post

You didn't get what I said straight. As a collector, I bemoan the m sport cars; they dilute the actual M cars. It absolutely does cheapen an M2 to have a m240 sport. These are opinions, you have yours, I have mine.

Though I didn't bring this up in my original post, having an M version of every model is also not constructive if your goal is to produce a lineage of racing that develops as models get released. Its silly to me to slap an M label on SUVs or large sedans. I liked it a lot better 10 years ago when M really meant you were getting something unique. Now, its become a way to up sell an existing model when there is really no need to have a M SUV or 8 series. They are perfectly capable without such nonsense add ons that don't fit the kind of car they are.

Part of what is important to me when buying a car like this and may not be to you is not just price or if its a" damn nice car", but its to have something more exclusive that is likely to appreciate over time. I hold on to my sports cars for a long time. I like the idea of having a true race car with lower production numbers that has had a focused evolution. Like how the 997 evolved to and where the 991 is going. Porsche builds SUVs that are awesome, but they don't feel the need to slap a GTS package on it. They seem to be focused on making the money they need from the core line of cars and still build something special for the race enthusiast who is willing to drop the coin.

I still like my M3 a lot, and will own it for as long as it lasts. But I have no expectation that it will appreciate any time soon because of the travesty that is the M sport branding effort. Nor will a series with 100k produced have the exclusivity of a vehicle with production numbers that are sub 10k or less. BMW as a brand has lost its direction when it comes to its racing identity by the direction M/M Sport is taking. I don't see the same thing in Porsche.
Porsche makes a gts macan and cayenne, and a turbo and turbo s. They also make a base model Macan who's performance does not fit in with the rest of the lineup.

I've had my M3 almost 8 years. I'm the original owner. So I keep my cars a long time to. The current 911 has nothing in common with air cooled versions aside from the name and engine location.

And, the original M car was an M5 (m1 not withstanding). So how car off the lineage are they?
      12-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I am sad for this. An M badge on an SUV is silly. Sporty SUVs are silly, just like sporty trucks from Ford.

The M logo used to stand for something special. I would happily own any (or every) true M car up to 2002. Past that, BMW M went a little strange on some models and certainly too main stream. The E9x M3 is really the last M that I like. My personal opinion here. The new M models are just not as “special” as the old ones. Hell, the E30 M3 is a terrible DD unless you flog it. And that is what made it so special. The new ones seem to want to be good DDs. M cars should not be that tame or well mannered. They should grunt, groan, clatter and scream.

And they should make you smile each time you drive them.
Appreciate 0