BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Weird noise coming from the front part of the engine

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone here have had the problem where the engine is producing some type of "Whaaa" sound at idle and increases as rpm increase. This cannot be heard inside of the car but can be spotted very well from outside. My initial guess it's a pulley related but would like to confirm from sound experts The car runs fine, here is a link for a Dropbox video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0gx7f7wwr...%20PM.mov?dl=0

Thank you very much
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone here have had the problem where the engine is producing some type of "Whaaa" sound at idle and increases as rpm increase. This cannot be heard inside of the car but can be spotted very well from outside. My initial guess it's a pulley related but would like to confirm from sound experts The car runs fine, here is a link for a Dropbox video

Thank you very much
That's no Whaaa" noise , it's a Bzzzz".. noise !
You have a vibration noise . Something is vibrating against something.. Be patient and open your ears , I'm pretty sure you can find the location of the noise .
BTW...Your oil cap is leaking some oil.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thank you very much
That's no Whaaa" noise , it's a Bzzzz".. noise !
You have a vibration noise . Something is vibrating against something.. Be patient and open your ears , I'm pretty sure you can find the location of the noise .
BTW...Your oil cap is leaking some oil.
Thanks for your answer! I saw the deal with oil cap but never get my hands on getting a new one. The car does not consume any oil by the way. Regarding the Bzzz sound, you right something is vibrating but I can't understand what. I have touched a valve cover and other parts of engine and no vibration at all. However when I touch the oil filter cap, I do feel the vibration that follows the sound patter. Does that tell you anything?

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
I think I had the same issue. My power steering fluid was super low and I had it topped off. It went away.

Here's what it sounded like -

Here's how I fixed it -
Well yours is super obvious. I checked my fluid level and looks like it's slightly below the line but can't really tell lol. I think I will start off by flushing the fluid completely and replacing the reservoir. See if that will do it.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Update: Flushed the power steering fluid today and filled it to correct level. Noise is still there. Went to BMW and they said it's either tensioner pulley or power steering pump it self. Recommended to replace both just in case. 1500 for pump and 1200 for tensioner. They also said that the belt is slowly starting to spin off so I need to replace the tensioner and belts to prevent the belt from spinning off. They also said they are pretty positive it's just the tensioner. Anyone ever replaced their tensioner? From what I understand there are 2 tensioners right?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Youngh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I have that same noise, its the power steering pump from what shops have been telling me
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngh View Post
I have that same noise, its the power steering pump from what shops have been telling me
My bmw dealer told me that they are pretty positive that its just a belt tensioner but they recommended to replace both, the tensioner and the pump itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How long do you have the noise for? I have been having it for about a month now but no changes in steering feel at all so i dont think its a pump
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Youngh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Ever since I bought the car two months ago, sound hasn't changed at all since then. But I took it to a very reputable shop who pointed to the power steering pump. I don't have any steering issues at all either

2015 435i (previous)
2015 428i (previous)
2008 350z (previous)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ever since I bought the car two months ago, sound hasn't changed at all since then. But I took it to a very reputable shop who pointed to the power steering pump. I don't have any steering issues at all either
So, should we replace the pump? Is that what you saying? Looks like I need the tensioner anyway because I can push down on the belt and it dips. I will probably put Macht Schnell pulleys while I'm in there and see if that will help because power steering pump will be rotating slower
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I vote power steering pump. Definitely an accessory on the belt system. I would check...
-PS Fluid level.
-Idler tensioner for good tension to keep belt tight.
-inspect PS pump, Alternator, and overall belt system.
      12-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I vote power steering pump. Definitely an accessory on the belt system. I would check...
-PS Fluid level.
In my case, the belt tensioner is little bit bad. I was told that it's getting off alignment gradually. They recommended to replace Drive Belt Tensioner and just in case the Power Steering Pump but they are pretty sure that the tensioner will solve the problem. When I push down on my belt it also dips pretty easy.
I am going to order the belt tensioner, idler pulley and Power Steering pulley plus new belts and will post an update some time later next week. Is there a DIY on tensioner pulley? Also, do you know what is hydraulic tensioner and how is it different from tensioner pulley?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
-PS Fluid level.
In my case, the belt tensioner is little bit bad. I was told that it's getting off alignment gradually. They recommended to replace Drive Belt Tensioner and just in case the Power Steering Pump but they are pretty sure that the tensioner will solve the problem. When I push down on my belt it also dips pretty easy.
I am going to order the belt tensioner, idler pulley and Power Steering pulley plus new belts and will post an update some time later next week. Is there a DIY on tensioner pulley? Also, do you know what is hydraulic tensioner and how is it different from tensioner pulley?
The hydraulic tensioner is nothing more than your every day tensioner but it's a hydraulic shock where a spring would fundamentally work. Sounds fancy but it is not. Fact is the tensioning shock wears as ALL MOVING PARTS DO. So the part is a stereotypical wear item. It's a 2 out of 10 in DIY difficulty IMO but ALL cars require the service every 150,000 MAX. It's cheap as things go overall. Just know it's so easy to unplug the cooling fan and remove it to get service area. No timing or calibration necessary after replacing.
      12-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
aswy6
Captain
Rep

I am talking about these parts (link attached below). I cant really understand the difference. So i can purchase the hydraulic tensioner (First link) and it would substitute the belt tensioner pulley? (second link).
I am leaning towards just ordering a Standard belt tensioner pulley (2nd link), power steering pulley, idler pulley and may be turner motorsport crank pulley plus 2 belts. I like the fact that their product only has crank pulley of lower size rather than crank and a power steering reduced in size. (My car is daily driver)
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #15
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
-PS Fluid level.
The hydraulic tensioner is nothing more than your every day tensioner but it's a hydraulic shock where a spring would fundamentally work. Sounds fancy but it is not. Fact is the tensioning shock wears as ALL MOVING PARTS DO. So the part is a stereotypical wear item. It's a 2 out of 10 in DIY difficulty IMO but ALL cars require the service every 150,000 MAX. It's cheap as things go overall. Just know it's so easy to unplug the cooling fan and remove it to get service area. No timing or calibration necessary after replacing.
See above. Sorry, just wanted to make sure it gets to you
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #16
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Update:
Ordered pulley service kit for 570$. Will install it later this week. Let's see if that will solve the problem? Does anyone know a DIY for Hydraulic tensioner replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
What is the mileage on the car?

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
75k miles. Never had belts or pulleys replaced
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
75k miles. Never had belts or pulleys replaced
Me either but I did it preemptively because it is an easy service and well worth it. The belt system is already parasitic to engine power, so keeping the pulley and belt system smooth ultimately helps the motor. Some environments speed up the wear, like in SoCal and heat effects belts by drying them out.
      12-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

So this sound is normal?

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #21
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
So this sound is normal?

The tick tick tick sound is normal. I'm guessing the car is cold. Let it warm up and record again. I kind of heard something behind the tick tick tick sound but it should go away as your car warms up. Should take around a minute for it to go away depending on how long the car was not used and how cold it is
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #22
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
The tick tick tick sound is normal. I'm guessing the car is cold. Let it warm up and record again. I kind of heard something behind the tick tick tick sound but it should go away as your car warms up. Should take around a minute for it to go away depending on how long the car was not used and how cold it is
I’ll record another one once I get back home
Appreciate 0