Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Wouldn't it be nice

... to create a software driven product that utilizes the already built in cameras on the F80 to work for parked vehicle recording...

Think about it... a loaded F80 already has 6 cameras. You create software to allow it to use the already installed HDD (I don't use it for music), its already inherent shock indicators for the alarm... And the vehicle has its own internet/phone connection. And now you don't need a dashcam for parked vehicle use.

All you would need is a secondary battery to drain this off of (but since you need a secondary part, you might as well include a secondary HD or SD slot). Now that wouldn't be helpful for the traditional driving dashcam... but it would be useful for those that just want some added security when the car is parked.

Thoughts? Or is this just my own crazy idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

This is not a crazy idea at all, and this just might be where the future is headed.

I've also thought about implementing some sort of social-driven police reporting system, where motorists are able to seamlessly report crimes and traffic violations (carpool, heavy speeding, unsafe lane changes, tailgating, etc) by simply being able to record and submit to the local authorities.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Great idea, but a small detail... In order to fully utilize existing cameras, alarm system,... and integrate with iDrive, you need access to HU source code, other signals from other ECUs, QNX IDE, a way to sign your new HU firmware and a lot of know-how or maybe a 3rd party box that accesses, monitors and interfaces to iDrive and others components.

In a nutshell, out of reach for almost anyone to accomplish such a project without privileged access to very confidential information...
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Great idea, but a small detail... In order to fully utilize existing cameras, alarm system,... and integrate with iDrive, you need access to HU source code, other signals from other ECUs, QNX IDE, a way to sign your new HU firmware and a lot of know-how or maybe a 3rd party box that accesses, monitors and interfaces to iDrive and others components.

In a nutshell, out of reach for almost anyone to accomplish such a project without privileged access to very confidential information...
Right, so we should just ask BMW for this as a feature!
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      10-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Right, so we should just ask BMW for this as a feature!
Great idea, but good luck with that happening any time soon or on the F8X platform, unfortunately. If you think about it from a pure programming perspective what you are talking about should be able to be done with the existing hardware/software in our cars now. Another example - wouldn't it be great if rev matching for 6MT cars were a user definable option in iDrive? Is there any reason this should not be possible now if BMW wanted to do it?

Although, I think BMW does listen to the enthusiast crowd more than we possible give them credit for. I have been in the online BMW scene since 2001 when I had my E36 M3 (which I purchased in 1995). One thing I have noticed over the years is that BMW seems to offer more enthusiast influenced options/features now than they have done in the past. Burbles & Pops/Overrrun on the F8X and all of the M-Performance part options available today are just a few examples.

So I guess the moral of the story is, keep talking about stuff like this - the "good idea fairy" is a wonderful thing. We all know BMW monitors these forums. And hopefully we may see some of this stuff in our "future" BMW .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Great idea, but good luck with that happening any time soon or on the F8X platform, unfortunately. If you think about it from a pure programming perspective what you are talking about should be able to be done with the existing hardware/software in our cars now. Another example - wouldn't it be great if rev matching for 6MT cars were a user definable option in iDrive? Is there any reason this should not be possible now if BMW wanted to do it?

Although, I think BMW does listen to the enthusiast crowd more than we possible give them credit for. I have been in the online BMW scene since 2001 when I had my E36 M3 (which I purchased in 1995). One thing I have noticed over the years is that BMW seems to offer more enthusiast influenced options/features now than they have done in the past. Burbles & Pops/Overrrun on the F8X and all of the M-Performance part options available today are just a few examples.

So I guess the moral of the story is, keep talking about stuff like this - the "good idea fairy" is a wonderful thing. We all know BMW monitors these forums. And hopefully we may see some of this stuff in our "future" BMW .
On every survey that I got after service, I requested a display that the heated steering wheel has some sort of visual notification. Only 3 short years later, it happened.

WRITE THIS ON YOUR SURVEYS when it says what can BMW engineering do to improve!
Appreciate 0