Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

Questions: Pulling the trigger on an Extended Warranty

Hi everyone,

My '14 M5 CP is coming up to 45k miles and I've been looking at extended warranties. I've looked at EasyCare and Fidelity. Both exclusionary plans seems solid, with EasyCare being the more expensive. I'm leaning towards the Fidelity plan as it's a bit more economical ~9k (if you want to call it) and provides me with coverage through 107k miles and 2021.

I noticed a couple of exclusions and wanted to see how concerned i should be.

1.) Sealed beams - Dealer indicated these are items like bulbs and lamps. Anyone see this differently?

2.) Brake lining – Dealer indicated these are brake lines. I'm thinking these shouldn't rust that quickly? Anyone see them rusting that quickly?

3.) Standard manual transmission - Do you think they would consider the components in a DCT included? Including clutch?

4.) Shock absorbers - Since the vehicle has struts I'm assuming I should be covered? I've seen a couple threads on failed suspension. Should I be concerned?

The dealer gave me some clarity, but I'm looking for someone with a bit more experience/authority.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Reemas Dreemas
Private
Rep
Drives: NICE

i had easy care with my e60. They didn't cover my clutch or throttle actuators....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep

Was it their exclusionary plan?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

My opinions only:

I think brake linings are the brake pads.

Since the DCT is an automatic if they cover automatic transmission parts then I believe it could be easily argued that it should be covered. I would call the warranty company and say that you have an AUTOMATIC M5 and would they cover it. Don't start explaining that the DCT "is like a manual" yadda yadda. It's an automatic since you can put it in drive and let it shift for you. You're not an expert on transmissions (even if you are) so let them tell you if they cover it or not. All you know is you bought an M5 with an automatic.

Struts are the same as shock absorbers for all practical purposes.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks DaveCM5, I'm wondering if the dealer diagnosis the issue as being a slipping clutch will they honor a replacement? I guess this would depend if the dealer would consider the clutch a serviceable component? What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

I bought extended warranty thru dealer to 100k it's Easycare.....$2200....have it on my Porsche and they have been great.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep

Easycare quote was $10k (ekk) due to my mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

Ahh ok.... yes I got mine with 6k on the clock....paid $5700 to renew on the Porsche with 28k on clock
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
My opinions only:

I think brake linings are the brake pads.

Since the DCT is an automatic if they cover automatic transmission parts then I believe it could be easily argued that it should be covered. I would call the warranty company and say that you have an AUTOMATIC M5 and would they cover it. Don't start explaining that the DCT "is like a manual" yadda yadda. It's an automatic since you can put it in drive and let it shift for you. You're not an expert on transmissions (even if you are) so let them tell you if they cover it or not. All you know is you bought an M5 with an automatic.

Struts are the same as shock absorbers for all practical purposes.
This^

But email so that you get it in writing.
You want to basically make them write that they will cover all automatic transmission repairs and if it can't be repaired a transmission replacement.

Exclusionary plans usually are only supposed to exclude wear and tear items. Like brake pads. Why would a warranty cover brake pads that wear over time at different rates? That's fair for them not to cover it.

Transmissions aren't supposed to wear down the same way as brake pads so you get them to say they will cover you.

All you're looking for is clarity of the policy. Completely understandable on a purchase that large.
Appreciate 0