Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
bbergenty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

Greyed out items in ISTA+

So I have installed ISTA+ on my PC and have been able to (as far as I know) use it to go through some issues that my car had (bought with some damage, fixed and am now at what I hope is the goal line).

Anyway, the headlight needed replacement and I got used modules and a housing and have tried to use ISTA/P to get the car to play nice with the new headlight, but it has been a trying experience (to put it nicely). It seems that the modules on the headlight need to be reprogrammed in order for the initialization process to go through. This said, my tabs for programming are greyed out. Does anyone else know if this stems from the way ISTA/P was installed, or is there something else going on?

Thanks for anyone's input on this!

My disclaimer is that I believe that I am a reasonably smart individual, but am not a programming/computer guy by formal training, so don't assume that I know anything when responding. (Michael Scott voice: Why don't you explain it to me like I'm in kindergarten)

Bill

Last edited by bbergenty; 09-13-2017 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Plus not P
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbergenty View Post
So I have installed ISTA+ on my PC and have been able to (as far as I know) use it to go through some issues that my car had (bought with some damage, fixed and am now at what I hope is the goal line).

Anyway, the headlight needed replacement and I got used modules and a housing and have tried to use ISTA/P to get the car to play nice with the new headlight, but it has been a trying experience (to put it nicely). It seems that the modules on the headlight need to be reprogrammed in order for the initialization process to go through. This said, my tabs for programming are greyed out. Does anyone else know if this stems from the way ISTA/P was installed, or is there something else going on?

Thanks for anyone's input on this!

My disclaimer is that I believe that I am a reasonably smart individual, but am not a programming/computer guy by formal training, so don't assume that I know anything when responding. (Michael Scott voice: Why don't you explain it to me like I'm in kindergarten)

Bill
My understanding is that ISTA+ is a tool for reading fault codes. If you're trying to actually program a new headlight you would need to use E-SYS and FDL code the correct ECUs. Check out the stickied pay it forward coding thread.
      09-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
My understanding is that ISTA+ is a tool for reading fault codes. If you're trying to actually program a new headlight you would need to use E-SYS and FDL code the correct ECUs. Check out the stickied pay it forward coding thread.
No, it's a dealer tool for diagnostic and flashing. This is the way how the dealer update the car. It's very tech friendly not like e-sys...lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
No, it's a dealer tool for diagnostic and flashing. This is the way how the dealer update the car. It's very tech friendly not like e-sys...lol
My bad I only knew of the diagnostic part. At least we gave the thread a bump

Any idea on how to get a copy of it since it's friendlier than E-SYS?