BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n/a

So I found the M button...

I've had my m3 now for 3 weeks and have always kept it in S5 all other options in comfort/street mode. Driving thru a canyon yesterday...I saw the M button and thought I would give it a shot.

It's a COMPLETELY different car. The power is smoother, less roll, the shifts even seemed smoother! It was amazing!!

I have ZCP, and I saw that M mode turned on both EDC lights as well as power.

Throttle response was sharper...shit now I wanna go drive again. Lol.

I f*ckin love this car.

End of rant
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Considering you have only had the car a month we will give you a pass. I was fortunate, the guy I bought mine from went through the whole car with me. There was nothing that I didn't have an understanding of before I drove away with it. I would have to assume you bought yours from a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I've had my m3 now for 3 weeks and have always kept it in S5 all other options in comfort/street mode. Driving thru a canyon yesterday...I saw the M button and thought I would give it a shot.

It's a COMPLETELY different car. The power is smoother, less roll, the shifts even seemed smoother! It was amazing!!

I have ZCP, and I saw that M mode turned on both EDC lights as well as power.

Throttle response was sharper...shit now I wanna go drive again. Lol.

I f*ckin love this car.

End of rant
FYI, This is user adjustable via iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

power light must have addefd like 500 hp or something?
      09-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Note also two other things:

* The steering wheel requires more force to turn.
* Your gas tank emptying faster.
      09-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Considering you have only had the car a month we will give you a pass. I was fortunate, the guy I bought mine from went through the whole car with me. There was nothing that I didn't have an understanding of before I drove away with it. I would have to assume you bought yours from a dealer.
Hahaha, yes I did. I knew that it was there I just never got around to using it in daily use. It's a bit rough for anything but spirited canyon carving..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Note also two other things:

* The steering wheel requires more force to turn.
* Your gas tank emptying faster.
Averaging 12MPG currently...very much worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't think I have ever driven mine for more than 20 seconds with M button not set and everything not at full tilt. It's the only way to drive.
Appreciate 1
MattM3SVT193.00
      09-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think I have ever driven mine for more than 20 seconds with M button not set and everything not at full tilt. It's the only way to drive.
You may need that M button to get out of dodge with Irma scheduled to go right over Tampa.
      09-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You may need that M button to get out of dodge with Irma scheduled to go right over Tampa.
Walmart, Sam's club, Publix and The Dollar store all out of water already. Ordered water from Amazon next day delivery.

The old lady is talking about heading out of town. The cars are going into garages. Boat is coming off the water and going onto a trailer. I'm staying here and protecting everything. I am in an evacuation zone but I will never leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Walmart, Sam's club, Publix and The Dollar store all out of water already. Ordered water from Amazon next day delivery.

The old lady is talking about heading out of town. The cars are going into garages. Boat is coming off the water and going onto a trailer. I'm staying here and protecting everything. I am in an evacuation zone but I will never leave.
Good luck dude, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
      09-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:

That's risky though, since 100% of drivers can drive your unattended car away. If you had a 6MT, only 19% of drivers would be able to.
6ixSpd6020.00
      09-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's risky though, since 100% of drivers can drive your unattended car away. If you had a 6MT, only 19% of drivers would be able to.
I'll take that as an invite. Heading to Northern Virginia now. You will have the coolest driveway in town. Then we can Caravan up to Goldie and show him all the features of the M button. You in Goldie?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #14
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #15
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

After having had a Z4M I knew there would be some magical button which adds 750hp, somewhere within arm's reach. Greatest invention ever!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
You should try the handbrake too !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      09-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #17
jlo0109
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: feet

Glad you discovered the M button in just a month of ownership. I too as well had a great overview from the seller when I bought the car. Here's to a really funny but sad but funny story. My sister's fiance had a customer that traded in his M5 for a new Maserati one day. He told my brother-in-law that the M5 was the slowest thing he's ever driven... that he got smoked by just about everything that came toying with him on the road and that he cannot wait to get rid of this thing. My brother-in-law looked baffled and as he scratched his head, a light bulb went off and he took the client outside to his car. They both hopped in and drove off, only this time the difference was the M button was turned on and he made sure EVERYTHING was turned on. 15 minutes later, they came back and the guy was just in awe and shock. Apparently, he never knew what that button does and never bothered to ask... My brother-in-law asked, "Still want to trade it, right?"
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo0109 View Post
Glad you discovered the M button in just a month of ownership. I too as well had a great overview from the seller when I bought the car. Here's to a really funny but sad but funny story. My sister's fiance had a customer that traded in his M5 for a new Maserati one day. He told my brother-in-law that the M5 was the slowest thing he's ever driven... that he got smoked by just about everything that came toying with him on the road and that he cannot wait to get rid of this thing. My brother-in-law looked baffled and as he scratched his head, a light bulb went off and he took the client outside to his car. They both hopped in and drove off, only this time the difference was the M button was turned on and he made sure EVERYTHING was turned on. 15 minutes later, they came back and the guy was just in awe and shock. Apparently, he never knew what that button does and never bothered to ask... My brother-in-law asked, "Still want to trade it, right?"
The M button sharpens throttle response, it does not actually make the car any faster. Full throttle in M mode is no different than full throttle in "regular mode" so not sure this story adds up.
      09-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #19
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It'd be interesting to compare the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the button on vs. off.
      09-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #20
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Very good point Lyzmi, but if you have everything set in normal and DCT settings at 1, then the car does feel sluggish under normal circumstances in comparison to balls out. But again, if you don't know what balls out feels like then normal settings probably wouldn't feel sluggish. But to your point, once you floor it, that is the end of that argument. I have no idea on the M5's although I have heard that hitting the M button actually adds horsepower. Or... competition package adds horsepower. Or maybe that was the M6. Maybe someone can fill in that gap about the M5 and M6.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It'd be interesting to compare the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the button on vs. off.
Zero difference. When you floor it M button means nothing. It's everything in between that matters with M vs non M.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
The dealer showed mine to me when I test drove the car, but I already knew some of what it did, coming from an e46 M3. Unlike the e46, the e92 M3 "M" button is configurable through the i-drive, which is cool. I liked the car I test drove so much I bought it right off of the showroom floor the same day.
Appreciate 0