European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

07-31-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4F82,Akra/Eventuri/Stage2Tune

The Way Forward

Thought I'd start a new thread to fill you Guy's in on the journey thus far and the absolute admiration I have for the guys at City Performance Centre - Artarmon (NSW).

On a previous thread you would have no doubt seen that I've installed the KW lowering springs, an absolutely amazing blue kevlar Evenuri air intake and Akra catless downpipes and this is where things got a little unusual. Having a competition pack and not necessarily wanting to tune at this stage, I ordered the Akra Delete-R with the downpipes................2 days after install, bam, CEL, without blinking, City Performance Centre (CPC) installed another one from Akra, bam, CEL 2 days later again, Akra distanced themselves from the problem and suggested CPC order directly from their supplier of Delete-R's, 2 days after install............you guessed it, CEL again. The amazing part about this was, that I never got annoyed (unusual for me) as CPC were burning money (labour costs are exy) to ensure I got what I ordered and knowing my desire to not tune at this point.

On the final attempt with the Delete-R (direct from the new (original) supplier), Allesio (head honcho and all around legendary individual) sat me down and states if this doesn't work, I'll do whatever you want, put your OEM cats back in and give you a full refund, including labour, or tune your car to remove the CEL, whatever you want to sort this out for you and get you exactly what you want. How could anyone be annoyed at that?! What it apparently boils down to is that the Delete-R does not work with the competition pack. Further, once you've driven an M4 with catless downpipes, there is no going back!!!!!!!!

Then I made a fatal mistake (), Allesio sais, I have an M4 here that has Akra down pipes (catless) full Akra Evo exhaust and a CPC tune (which removes the CEL and jacks up the power to 390+kw), let me take you for a drive in it and see what you think.............yep, you can pretty much guess the rest.............why oh why did I go for a drive in that "thing"!

The amazing thing about the drive in the "tuned" M4 was how easy it was to just cruise in traffic, drawing absolutely no attention to yourself and then hitting the preset "M" button on the steering wheel (dialing up sports everything), it becomes a classic "Jekyll and Hyde" scenario............the power and torque is "other worldly" yet totally controllable and the sound from that exhaust makes your hair stand on end!!!!!!!! OMG.............welcome to Alessio the "salesman"!

Needless to say, my car is booked in Thursday this week to get the full CPC treatment (the way I've been looked after is exceptional to say the least - and please don't ask about pricing as that would not be fair to CPC). Akra Evo and tune - why? Because I have finally found an aftermarket tuner that has the integrity to back the service he delivers and I totally trust not only their work, but them as a company. Their prices are sharp, but the fact that they stand behind their work (even when reputable companies don't and it burns them profit wise!) is "priceless".

I will fill you all in post install, but seriously, anybody considering aftermarket work that doesn't take the time to check these guy's out, will ultimately end up there in the long run after the disappointments of going elsewhere (me being a case in point).

I'm a very satisfied customer!

Last edited by emack; 07-31-2017 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Good news story, awesome, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

you could probably toss the delete-r and get away with a 3 buck right angle fouler off ebay

lol @ slippery slope, it is indeed

custom ecu dyno tuning is always the best way to add power to any car - just have to be willing to throw away the whole warranty thing
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:54 AM   #4
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

There are patches now available that make tunes from two large European companies undetectable to obd2 tools the dealer uses.

But yes in general you pay to play the tuning game
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

The team at CPC in my opinion are the best in the country. Fantastic customer service and the quality of the work they provide is absolutely outstanding!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active View Post
The team at CPC in my opinion are the best in the country. Fantastic customer service and the quality of the work they provide is absolutely outstanding!
Amen Active...............totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
At a price though

I have had work done there on a few occasions on various cars. They are fkn expensive, but it is their niche given the cars they work on.

On one car which was lowered by them the wheel alignment was out. On my F80 they didn't follow the clear instructions for the mid pipe install and I had to re-adjust myself. I think if you buy the mods through them the experience would be better, however I am not paying their premium on mods that I can get far cheaper elsewhere. I would use them again, purely based that their location is convenient, not that they are better than any other shop.
You are much more understanding than I. If a mid pipe install wasn't done properly I wouldn't go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #8
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Every workshop is bound to have stories of woe from time to time.

For me, it's how they deal with problems when they happen that says the most.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:13 AM   #9
M4 CSL
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Hi Emack,

I have had the Full Akra Evo and Dp's for almost 3 years now.

The Delete-R worked faultlessly for the first year. Then I had an issue with the car and BMW reflashed my car, and Suddenly the Delete-R no longer worked.

I got an engine light. I let the distributor know. They got the codes, then they sent out another Delete-R free of charge.

I had it fitted. Two days later, the light came back. I kept resetting it at the dealership, but it kept coming back.

I drove it around for another 18 months with the light on.

Well BMW updated my software again a few weeks ago, and Hey Presto, No engine light. Suddenly the Delete-R is working perfectly. No engine light since.

So it is definitely a version of BMW software that doesn't play nice with the Delete-R.

I have dynoed my car STOCK. It came in at 270 KW at the wheels.
Then I fitted the complete Akra Evo, including Akra Down pipes and delete-R.

I dynoed it again, same dyno, same operator. It came back at an impressive 303 KW at the wheels.

So 100%, the full akra system makes epic power.

But 390 KW with a tune, I will tell you now, If CPC show me the dyno, and guarantee I can have that, I will get their tune NOW.

It may well be 390 at the Engine (not that impressive). But not 390 KW at the Wheels(Hugely impressive if true). If it is, I must have this now.

Take care and congrats.

Last edited by M4 CSL; 08-03-2017 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Most out of stateside tuners is 427 wkw, but with modded turbos, pump fuel. With race fuel, well over 500 wkw
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I can't see the point of so much power through a rear wheel drive setup - if there is no way to get it down. It just turns into rear wheel burnout city. X drive or Quattro or 4matic - different ball game.

Stage 1 remap would be my limit. Unless this thing comes with x drive in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
With just DP's and a tune you'd expect to see 350rwkw. Any more than that would be too much torque for the DCT longterm and traction would become a real problem.
Snap !
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #13
M4 CSL
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
With just DP's and a tune you'd expect to see 350rwkw. Any more than that would be too much torque for the DCT longterm and traction would become a real problem.
From the dyno's I am seeing, its not happening.

But I have the M4 GTS DCT tune (20% more clamp) I thought it would make the car rough, but is the opposite. It is smooth and refined now.

I have the M4 GTS diff software and steering software. I love it all. My car was very coarse from stock. I would never used Sport Plus or the three bars shift.
It would feel like someone was in the back seat and kicked the back of your chair when it shifted. Also it would skip unless you had perfectly smooth road. I also did the Comp Pack EDC.

I drove a 2016 comp pack and it was so refined compared to mine. (Slower : ) but more refined)

Now I did all the M4 GTS upgrades, its silky smooth and I love the car again.

My warranty is up very soon, so I may want to tune.
      08-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

This GTS software upgrade - what does that involve?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Guys I’m running the GTS codes also, and I’d say overall they do bring some improvement (2017 LCI2).

GTS Steering - less/no dead spot in the center.

GTS Differential - more power required in MDM to make the car slip, however digs in much better and doesn’t feel so skittish on the surface with this code.

GTS DCT - definitely smoother shifts, though can’t tell if it’s faster at all.

U.S.Comfort EDC - I’ve fitted H&R springs which made the ride 10-20% former, though this code brought the comfort setting back to stock, with the springs.

I also coded ASD off along with some other minor things, and I’m thinking of putting ASD back on. I’ve got the MPE and even with such an amazing exhaust, lack of ASD has removed so much of the interior atmosphere, particularly on downshifts. The engine blips, and you hear the exhaust still, outside, but it’s dead quiet inside. I’ve read that in later models like my LCI2, that ASD is a later version and is integrated much better - less fake sounding and more toward the rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #16
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Who coded for you ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

BMR can sort out anyone in Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #18
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I have to be honest - I like ASD. Just to quiet without it. Can't hear the MPE at all.

I'll book it in for GTS and US comfort settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Yup. ASD will likely go back on next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #20
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OMG, this thing is unbelievable to drive!!!!!!!!!!! Not just for the increase in power, but the sound is like listening to Pink Floyd's "delicate sounds of thunder", the throttle is so much more responsive and direct, and the whole experience is euphoric!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND NO CEL................whoohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One very happy camper!!!!! PS................went with Titanium tips, they look awesome!
Appreciate 0