R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Good idea to own both M3 and GTR?

Wondering if anyone has owned both at the same time. Thinking of picking up a GTR for more fun. I suspect a GTR will be a terrible daily so the M3 will fill that role.

Wondering if this combo is dumb or awesome and any downsides or upsides I'm missing.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2049.50
      06-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Wondering if anyone has owned both at the same time. Thinking of picking up a GTR for more fun. I suspect a GTR will be a terrible daily so the M3 will fill that role.

Wondering if this combo is dumb or awesome and any downsides or upsides I'm missing.
Downside is cost. What other is there? Everyone with a GTR loves their GTR, but seem to somewhat give mixed reviews on it being a good DD.

Seems like a good idea if that's what you want to do and can stomach the price of having both. I'm sure there are plenty of other dual vehicles that may suit different purposes (many will say grab a Porsche!) but do you and what suits you best. It is, after all, your money and needs/desires. All we can do is offer alternatives, but sounds like you really want a GTR.

I DD my M3 and think it's great as a dual purpose car. So there's that. Have a buddy with a GTR that hes doesnt DD but he raves over it. If I had the funds(or was so inclined) I'd probably have a Ford Raptor, GT3 (or Ferrari F12 if I really had the funds), and not sure, may keep the m3? Go full luxury with a Lexus? Use the Raptor as DD? Who knows, we're all different right??
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Leaveit2bevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTR/F80

I have both, at one point I did DD the GTR but I could DD a viper ACR so probably not a good comp. I own the M3 because I have a 10 month old and and this car is no joke for fitting 4 adults a car seat and stroller in the trunk while being fast and handling well. The m3 is much cheaper to maintain so it does make more sense as a DD, the GTR eats tires like you wouldnt believe. With that being said I'd rather strap my kid to the roof of the GTR then give it up for my M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

They are both great

But in my opinion, they are too similar. What I mean by that is they are both 6 cylinder twin turbos

If I were to get a secondary car I would go with something naturally aspirated or more cylinders so you have some diversity.

An amazing combo would be E90 M3 and GTR. That was you have a naturally aspirated V8 and a turbo 6. And you have rear wheel drive and AWD. That would be a perfect combo.

Another alternative to the GTR is an M6 for the V8 Twin turbo
cotmfk2049.50
k3silk147.00
      06-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Downside is cost. What other is there? Everyone with a GTR loves their GTR, but seem to somewhat give mixed reviews on it being a good DD.
A friend daily drove his modded '09 GTR for a few yrs, but switched to an e-Golf due to the fuel cost of the GTR, not to mention the hassle/stress of parking it and leaving it for extend periods while at work

OP, I think it is great idea to own M3 and GTR.. sedan for commuting and "toy" for the weekends.

A question though.. with that budget, you could get a used "exotic" (e.g. Gallardo) and get a cheap beater sedan (e.g. cheap lease 320 or an EV)

It does boil down to preferences in the end
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Sounds like a good combo to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to achieve with a GTR. It's amazing that it does 2.9 seconds 0-60 stock and I want something that can do that. I want that violet speed thrill out of a vehicle, but still some what doesn't cost and arm and a leg to maintain like the exotics.

I probably should consider some American muscle but I've always stayed away from them due to preconcieved notions.

Thanks everyone for your input and keep them coming.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I guess I should explain what I'm trying to achieve with a GTR. It's amazing that it does 2.9 seconds 0-60 stock and I want something that can do that. I want that violet speed thrill out of a vehicle, but still some what doesn't cost and arm and a leg to maintain like the exotics.

I probably should consider some American muscle but I've always stayed away from them due to preconcieved notions.

some ideas:
#1 1000cc sports bike
#2 P100DL tesla
#3 heavily modded 800whp C6Z06 or C6ZR1

If you want drag racing excellence, you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring large displacement American V8s
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Leaveit2bevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTR/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
some ideas:
#1 1000cc sports bike
#2 P100DL tesla
#3 heavily modded 800whp C6Z06 or C6ZR1

If you want drag racing excellence, you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring large displacement American V8s
Besides the sport bike the other two dont make sense. P100DL is a 170k+ car and is only fast 0-60 and the heavily modded c6zo6 is going to have grip issues.

Honestly if OP wants brutal from any gear acceleration a FBO E85 GTR on R888's is about as good as its going to get at that price point. The tuning platform is far easier than the f80's. The parts get a gtr tax but you can get a 700hp GTR for around 5k - 7k.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Honestly, as amazing as GTRs are, they are at this point imho ancient... that whole car needs a rework like no other.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post

Seems like a good idea if that's what you want to do and can stomach the price of having both. I'm sure there are plenty of other dual vehicles that may suit different purposes (many will say grab a Porsche!) but do you and what suits you best. It is, after all, your money and needs/desires. All we can do is offer alternatives, but sounds like you really want a GTR.

I DD my M3 and think it's great as a dual purpose car. So there's that. Have a buddy with a GTR that hes doesnt DD but he raves over it. If I had the funds(or was so inclined) I'd probably have a Ford Raptor, GT3 (or Ferrari F12 if I really had the funds), and not sure, may keep the m3? Go full luxury with a Lexus? Use the Raptor as DD? Who knows, we're all different right??
you, you are a man of great taste my friend.
Appreciate 1
tdizzle107.00
      06-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I had a 2013gtr and 2015 M3. Both ride like crap and my Audi R8 was way more comfortable. Maybe I'm getting old but today I'd rather have a Panamera Sport Turismo for a quiet sporty daily driver and a M2cs/GT4/GT3 or even a civic type r as a second car that is totally different..

Also GTR is cool but not really fun nor was my F80. Go try the M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have M4 and RS4. It is fun going back and forth between the two. NA V8 and AWD vs TT6 and RWD. There is a ton of difference between the two cars, so you can really appreciate it.

I'd say go for the GTR and M3 combo. It should be fun! If you buy a used GTR (couple of years old), you should be able to get out of it with minimal loss if you feel you made a mistake 6 months in. Good luck!
      06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:

Test Drive a Z06 or GT350 see if they change your mind, the GTR is an amazing car but its been surpassed by its competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

I DD'd an '09 (70k miles) and a '13 GT-R (99k miles) and they were great. Did everything well and were fast on the street with FBO on E85. Thinking about picking up another GT-R after some time with my 991 GT3.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #16
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Is this a trick question? How could it bad to own both?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

I've owned both at the same time, I do think there is a degree of overlap.

The GT-R is definitely a very daily-drivable car, especially if you replace the stock run-flats with a Michelin Pilot Super Sports as most owners do. Dramatic improvement in comfort and tire noise.

Both GT-R and M3 are great cars but I cannot conceive why I would ever get into my M3 when I also had a GT-R available. Yes, the M3 is more comfortable and the rear-doors make it MUCH easier to get my daughter into her car seat (the only reason I sold my GT-R). The BMW really struggles with getting its power down, traction is a huge problem with this car, and the car never feels balanced under throttle in turns. You will never get this in the Nissan: it puts 100% of the power down 100% of the time.

If you are going to keep the M3 I would not get the GT-R as others have stated. If you are open to driving an American car I would check out a GT350 or even a 1-2 year old used Z06 - both cars a little more raw and visceral than the GT-R.

Or, as someone else stated, a sportbike. I just recently, at my old ripe age, learned to ride and my taste for expensive sports cars has evaporated as the experience on my motorcycle is exponentially more rewarding (and immediate), at a tiny fraction of the cost. My $10k bike is dangerous but will walk away from a $175k GT3 - and the insurance is basically nothing. It was a no-brainer for me, and it has cured me of my extremely unhealthy (financially) addiction to sports cars.

FWIW
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 zcp

I currently own a 2015 modded GTR and a new 17 ZCP M3 (90k)

I purchased the M3 because my GTR was in the shop for a few months due to a large build.

Stock form or with light mods, the GTR is very daily driveable, and my 2015 I actually prefer it to the m3.

The GTR is a very exciting car to drive, especially once you've gone FBO or more. The way it accelerates and corners is unlike any other car. The mods that are available are also nearly limitless at this point. The most mild esthetic options to the biggest baddest wheels and engine modifications are available.

Cost to own is overblown. Trannies can be replaced and repaired a lot easier now. Rotors/brakes take time to replace and even then, you just go alcon for 4k.

GTR > M3 in almost every way. The 2015 GTRs and newer are softer and there is no drawback to the M3 other than maybe the M3 has a bit cooler navi unit.

Now that I got my GTR back the only reason I use my M3 is if I want to avoid attention, long drive and need the room, or have somone valet my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #19
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

I say go for it... This is the combo I'm looking to get I currently have a 14 SRT Jeep e92 M3 and looking to add a GTR to the mix and lets not forget my old 200k mile Honda accord 2002... Been waiting for this thing to blow up but it still just keeps ticking. Only thing I wish I could do is trade my e92 for a e90 m3 set up just like mine is now and add the GTR. Other cars I was looking at 911 turbo or a GT4 but price is not coming down enough for me to buy yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #20
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Keep the M3, get a Shelby GT350...now that would be a killer combo!!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

Damn a lot of gtr hate. The platform is almost 10 years old but the car has dramatically changed. The 09 drives nothing like a 2017. The interiors are vastly different and the launch control is leagues better in the DBA. The 15s+ are way more comfortable. Also We’re talking easily more than a 1/2 second 0-60 Times from the old to new ones. I find it hilarious that people say that the GTRs competition has passed it by.

The only cars faster than a gtr 1/4 are all way more expensive or just as expensive. What car stock is 1/4 in the 10s. The gtr’s only come in Dunlop run flats. Put r888s on a gtr and very little will beat it around the track.

I own both and thought about having one really nice car like a gt3, but honestly I’d rather drive a nice car everyday and not worry about mileage and it being a garage queen. I would daily my gtr but it’s nodded heavily with bigger turbos. A mildly modded newer gtr is a great dd. With that said the gtr and m3 are not duplicitous unless you have a dct f80.

I will say this, I’ve had 3 gtrs for 6 years now (09/13/15), I have not come across a better car that made me really want to trade in my gtr for. The gtr FBO is a Low 10-High 9 second car for less than 7k in mods. Can’t beat that.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #22
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

Piece of shit? No soul? The gtr has more character than does the f80 platform. It has hydrology steering. Same engine and interior as a 350? Lol wtf? Whatever man, not even worth my time. Should they pump fake engine noise in the cabin to give the motor more soul like the f8x...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed District View Post
sorry to bump an old thread but I drove a GTR this whole weekend more than 800 miles and wow what a piece of shit.

It is literally just a glorified 350z. Same interior, same engine (with turbos) and same japenese econobox feels. After getting back into my M4 after all I can think about is how much better it is in every regard. One pro for the GTR is it of course is quick in a straight line.The first gear pulls are so fun but highway pulls are boring and the engine has no soul. We got it up to 165mph and it still wanted to pull
Appreciate 0