Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Sanity check for me - M3 vs. alternatives

I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I'm penciling in a Spring 2018 ED of an F80 M3 (ZCP, MT).

Currently (and for the next 2-3 years after I get the M3), my commute consists of dropping off kids at school (2 miles) and driving to work (5 miles). I do the reverse at night. ~14 miles round trip. My wife drives to the train station (~5 miles each way) and leaves her car there.

We have a nice SUV (family trips, winter storms, shopping, etc. and currently my DD), a 2-seat roadster for occasional fun, and a leased sedan (wife's DD) that the M3 would replace. The plan is to have my wife DD the SUV and I'd DD the M3. Naturally, the M3 would also be used for all other situations that don't require an SUV or for which the roadster is too small.

Strictly speaking, I obviously don't need an M3. No plans to track it. A GTI would probably fit the need quite nicely for half as much. The argument could be made that I should just get a "nice 3er" (like a loaded 340i). I am quite convinced that I would only regret that move. I'm comfortable with the price premium of an M3 over a loaded 340i for what you get. Plus, I did that once before in not getting one of the last of the E90 M3's and later regretting it. I feel the same re: other premium German sedans. Also, my MT requirement thins the herd pretty significantly.

But the GTI is always on my shoulder nagging me. Telling me I don't need an M3 and it's a waste of money. It's not an affordability thing either. I just get the sense that it's wasteful.

What draws me to the M3 is that it's special in many respects. Also, I had a 997TT and would like one fast car. Part of me sold the TT because the kids were outgrowing it and I always pictured an M3 as the closest sedan replacement. To wind up with a GTI seems like a sell-out move. Also, while a superb value, I don't "love" the GTI. Finally, the plan is for a family trip to pick it up in Europe with a longish vacation there. I'm sure it would be that much more special in an M3.

I guess I'm asking you to convince me that the M3 is not a stupid move. Fire away.

(BTW, I have considered getting a used E90, but given my use, I prefer the low end torque of the F80)

Last edited by FC; 06-06-2017 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
"You've already made the choice. Now you have to understand it."

Movie references aside, it seems like if you purchase a GTI (from all I've heard, a wonderful car indeed) you'll regret it every time you see an M3. No one needs an M3, or a GTI for that matter. Both could seem "wasteful" depending on one's values and point of view.

Go for it.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 3
dmboone254972.00
myzmak2415.00
F831355.50
      06-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Sure getting the GTI may be the fiscally responsible decision, but where's the fun in that? Just because you don't track your car doesn't mean you can't own a car that has track capabilities. Most M owners don't even track their cars. They're purchased for indulgence of one's desires, status, fulfilling a childhood dream, or they just have no other expensive hobbies in life so they buy a $80k sports sedan.

Regarding the 340i... if you're spending $55-60k on that, why not spend a little more and get what you really want?
Appreciate 1
F831355.50
      06-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Alpine Missile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 (DCT w/ Comp. Pack)

It's sounds like you have to choose the lesser of two evils...

1) Buying a GTI and feeling regret every time you have an M3 blow by you with ease.

Or

2) Feeling the regret of buying the M3 and writing the check for double the money every month.

If you have any feelings the M is excessive financially, it's probably your subconscious telling you to put the brakes on such a large purchase...

If money is no object, buy the damn M3 and enjoy life. This surely isn't a dress rehearsal. You'll be glad you did!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

i have owned 16v,vr6, mkiv r32, but after my rwd m3 i have no desire to go back to understeer. i would however buy an m2 hatch if BMW would make one with out thought. hatch > sedan/coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
Bimmercoupe
Rep
Drives: BMW Coupe

I think If you can afford it just buy the M3, I'm not sure a basic 3 series will match up to an M in anyway unless you start modifying. If you have the money just go for it! I'd go DCT trans though as having driven one there is no match vs a manual for a DD.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
aX3Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

If money isn't an issue then go for the M3. I went from a '14 335i to a '17 M3 ZCP 6mt and I absolutely love it. I take the train to and from work during the week so I mostly drive on the weekends. I faced a similar decision trying to weigh my options between different cars. I'll be the first to admit that an M3, for me, is completely unnecessary, but it was what I wanted. If you keep coming back around to the M3 then bite the bullet and do it... you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
RazBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Get the M3!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'll try to keep to short and sweet. I'm penciling in a Spring 2018 ED of an F80 M3 (ZCP, MT).

Currently (and for the next 2-3 years after I get the M3), my commute consists of dropping off kids at school (2 miles) and driving to work (5 miles). I do the reverse at night. ~14 miles round trip. My wife drives to the train station (~5 miles each way) and leaves her car there.

We have a nice SUV (family trips, winter storms, shopping, etc. and currently my DD), a 2-seat roadster for occasional fun, and a leased sedan (wife's DD) that the M3 would replace. The plan is to have my wife DD the SUV and I'd DD the M3. Naturally, the M3 would also be used for all other situations that don't require an SUV or for which the roadster is too small.

Strictly speaking, I obviously don't need an M3. No plans to track it. A GTI would probably fit the need quite nicely for half as much. The argument could be made that I should just get a "nice 3er" (like a loaded 340i). I am quite convinced that I would only regret that move. I'm comfortable with the price premium of an M3 over a loaded 340i for what you get. Plus, I did that once before in not getting one of the last the E90 M3's and later regretting it. I feel the same re: other premium German sedans. Also, my MT requirement thins the herd pretty significantly.

But the GTI is always on my shoulder nagging me. Telling me I don't need an M3 and it's a waste of money. It's not an affordability thing either. I just get the sense that it's wasteful.

What draws me to the M3 is that it's special in many respects. Also, I had a 997TT and would like one fast car. Part of me sold the TT because the kids were outgrowing it and I always pictured an M3 as the closest sedan replacement. To wind up with a GTI seems like a sell-out move. Also, while a superb value, I don't "love" the GTI. Finally, the plan is for a family trip to pick it up in Europe with a longish vacation there. I'm sure it would be that much more special in an M3.

I guess I'm asking you to convince me that the M3 is not a stupid move. Fire away.

(BTW, I have considered getting a used E90, but given my use, I prefer the low end torque of the F80)
Do you need every square foot of your home?
Do you need to eat at premium restaurants?
Do you need all the kids?
Do you need cable/sat TV?
Hell, do you even need TV's?

There is your answer.

You're only on this rock once.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
rr006rbc1204.00
      06-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Well thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it's not a money issue. I mean, of course it's a lot of money for a "want," but we would not be stretching at all. Add to that that I would only put ~6k miles per year and I take really good care of my cars and it would probably hold its value reasonably well.

Like I said, I'm not seeing the value on a loaded 340i or similar. The only argument was for a car significantly cheaper.

But there is a lot of merit to the YOLO argument. Getting this car would not affect long-term financial plans, so why not?

As for DCT, the time is nearly upon us when one will not be able to get an MT at all. I'll order them while I can. I'll do the used marketplace a favor as well. Just like when I got my (E91) RWD, LeMans Blue, MT, 328i M-Sport wagon (but I should have gotten the E90 M3 instead.)

Well, my commute is not so extreme. It's country roads most of the way and one light. Sure, you can always get stuck behind a slow driver, but that happens. My job is in an industrial stretch of road where you can stretch out its legs before you need to brake hard. Also, commuting is only half the driving I would do. Visiting people, shopping, errands, day trips, etc. would all be done with the M3 as much as possible, of course.

Last edited by FC; 06-06-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
fjabad
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

I also have a short commute (5 miles one way) with a maximum speed limit on my route of 25 mph. I regret getting my M3. Redline 1st gear and I'm speeding, exhaust is roaring and drawing the attention of everyone (I'm in a 25 mph zone). Couple that with the 5-6 stoplights and yeah, it kinda sucks. I say go for the lesser alternative.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Get the M3. Sounds like you've convinced yourself. And don't worry about the short commute. Use that as an excuse to go for longer drives on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Golf R? 2018s will have full LEDs and pretty much every tech option available in the F80 for like $40k.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjabad View Post
I also have a short commute (5 miles one way) with a maximum speed limit on my route of 25 mph. I regret getting my M3. Redline 1st gear and I'm speeding, exhaust is roaring and drawing the attention of everyone (I'm in a 25 mph zone). Couple that with the 5-6 stoplights and yeah, it kinda sucks. I say go for the lesser alternative.
At work giggling uncontrollably at this comment.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Golf R? 2018s will have full LEDs and pretty much every tech option available in the F80 for like $40k.
It's an option. But a $40K Golf? I dunno. Also, no moonroof. I know VW moonroof's tend to suck (reliability-wise), but I'm an open roof guy.

It is appealing though. Especially with AWD here in the NE. Plus, as with the GTI, it's a car I could hold on to and later give to the kids. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If funds permit, get the M3 over the GTI.

Also, I think there's overlap between the "roadster" and the M3. The roadster should be so epic that you are cool driving a random commuter (which BTW should be an electric car with big torque)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

FC:

Like you, over the years, I've had that twinge of "guilt" feeling about a car purchase. More often than not, it was when I was your age and had two younger children in grade school. I always asked myself, do I need this car? The answer was most always no. Then I asked myself, do I WANT this car? The answer was always, yes! Then the question was could I afford it financially and would it cause any hardships on the family. The answer to those two questions was yes (could afford it) and no, would cause any hardships.

Fast forward to 2017. Kids grown and gone. An ex-wife out there. I just turned 70 and I'm retired. My 2015 M4 sits in the garage. It's my DD for eight months of the year. Put up for the winter and share the GF's X3. Do I need an M4? Nope. Did I want one and could I afford one? Yes. Could I have a cheaper DD? Yes. Did I want one? No.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you and the wifey. Most others have advised you the same as I. I join them in their opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #18
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

I bought a four-seater vs. a two-seater for the exact same reason (family transport / practicality).

I bought an M4 vs a 435 or whatever because my dad got terminal cancer a couple of years ago, and some friends almost died in bike crashes. This vividly brought home the impermanence of life, which led me to saying "f*ck it" and buying the M. If you can reasonably afford it, YOLO.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #19
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Get a tesla 75d as lease dd, sell your roadster and buy something w no compromise sports car that puts smile on ur face every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post
I bought a four-seater vs. a two-seater for the exact same reason (family transport / practicality).

I bought an M4 vs a 435 or whatever because my dad got terminal cancer a couple of years ago, and some friends almost died in bike crashes. This vividly brought home the impermanence of life, which led me to saying "f*ck it" and buying the M. If you can reasonably afford it, YOLO.

Cheers
I had a close call a few years ago as well, so yeah, I get YOLO.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #21
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjabad View Post
Well, my commute is not quite so bad. Most of it is through a couple of country roads. There is one light, and my work is on a long road in an industrial area where I can stretch the car's legs.

Commuting would only be 50% of the driving. The rest is visiting people, errands, day trips, shopping, etc. I (purposely) live in an area where I can take the scenic back roads route instead of highways to a lot of destinations.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Get a tesla 75d as lease dd, sell your roadster and buy something w no compromise sports car that puts smile on ur face every time.
To be perfectly honest, on paper, I should have a Tesla as a DD and a nice Boxster S as my fun car. I do make a lot of short drives so the electric car would be great. In fact, my wife's current car is an eGolf and it's great for what it is (and surprisingly fast up to 30-40mph). I don't like the model S, though. It's too big.

But my roadster is just old and cheap enough that I don't feel bad if it sits unused for a while and all of winter. A Boxster upgrade would have to wait 3-4 years. Maybe the M3 gets replaced by a Tesla after 6 or so years.
Appreciate 0