BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

04-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Successfully reset brake pad sensor service warning

Background: I have a 2011 E90 M3 with ~64k miles and installed a set of StopTech ST-60/ST-40 brakes around ~57k miles ago. The installer tied up the brake pad sensors and I had no issues after install of the BBK. A few months ago I got the Service light reminder warning in the cluster. An indy mechanic had good intentions and went into the service menu and reset the service reminder. Unfortunately, this either triggered or left on the brake pad sensor warning. This causes a brake pad warning every time you start the car and more annoyingly the red BRAKE warning light in the cluster remains on and does not turn off when driving. I tried unplugging only the front sensors and resetting but it would not reset even after plugging in the old sensors. In the service menu it showed "--------" for the mileage and warnings remained.

Solution: So after reading a bunch of threads with people not being able to reset the sensor warning I tried the best methods people offered. What finally worked for me was unplugging the rear sensor (you must remove the back passenger side wheel well cover) and the two front sensors and using a small paper clip in a "U" shape. One paper clip per sensor plug and sticking each end into the sensor on the car side (to complete the circuit). I then reset the brake pad service reminders and it WORKED!!! initially showed 60,000 miles front and 37,000 miles rear. I pulled the paper clips out and plugged the old sensors back in. I drove the car and checked the mileage to service and for some reason the fronts went from 60,000 to 13,000 but the rears remained at 37,000. I will check in a few days to see how these mileages change. Warning is gone!!

Note: To enter the service menu this is what I had to do.

1. Open driver's door and get in the car
2. Close the driver's door
3. Put key fob in the ignition holder
4. Without pressing the brake, push the START/STOP button
5. Wait for the gong sounds to stop and hold down the mileage reset button on the guage cluster. You will see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and then see an oil can. Once you see the oil can let go of the trip reset button. You should now be in the service menu. Use the BC stalk to move around and enter and reset things. To reset a certain reminder you must cycle to it and when RESET appears hold down the stalk button until a clock starts spinning then you can let go of the stalk button.

Now if you can not enter this menu using these instructions make sure your door is shut and you have no warnings on the iDrive. For example, this process did not work for me when my brake pad warning was lit. I had to press OK on the iDrive to acknowledge the warning and THEN press and hold the trip reset button. It never worked if there was a warning on the iDrive that's why I advise to shut your door before starting the process.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
Theodore668.50
      04-10-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thanks, i'll have to try this. i got it to go away by itself when i soldered my sensors, but the planets must have not been aligned when i attempted the stalk reset.
      04-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

OK so i just rechecked mileage on the service indicators and the fronts were down to 6,000 and rears still at 37,000. I attempted to reset the fronts to try for higher mileage but it triggered all of them to turn to "-------" again!! Very sad.

I think I will go back in there and cut the wires and twist them together and call it a day.

I guess the lesson I learned was do not reset the brake pad indicators if you did not change them!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

Are you sure there isn't damage to the physical wire? one of my sensors came loose at some point and the wire started to wear through from contact with moving parts. The wear on the wire has the same electrical resuklt as wear on the sensor. I just twisted that one together at the connector and capped it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #5
atranho
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' ZCP AW M3 - GONE

Did you reset the sensors with the wheels off?
Appreciate 0