Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Drove a base 991.2 PDK

I've had many M cars over the years feeling the itch to do something different. Currently driving F80 manual. Figured I'd post my thoughts since I enjoy reading other F80 M owners perspective of other options.

Car I drove was a base PDK, no sport exhaust.

Appearance: its a 911 not much to say... black exterior black satin sport wheels looks sporty. I'm not a fan of navy / tan type cars, so black and black is nice. I personally love the 991 look over the 997, looks "finished".

Interior: High quality materials, think "precision". Very Audi like. Certainly a step above the F80 obviously in all ways. Lots of cabin space, I'm 6"2 plenty of headroom. Seats were sporty and comfy. My dream is a full alcantara interior of the GTS

PDK: If I'm buying a 911 its gotta be a manual. The PDK is fantastic, does what is supposed to. But not as engaging as the manual. I'm not tracking the car and it will be a DD so manual is best for daily fun.

Drive: Clinical. Its a sports car at birth vs. the M3 which is a sedan trying to emulate a sports car. The 911 really exposes how the M3 starts as a sedan not a sports car. The 911 sits lower. The steering has feedback and is perfect, you really feel as one with the car. Its so natural and organic. Its not trying to be a sports car, it is a sports car by nature.

Sound: With no sport exhaust the sound is a bit muted in the cabin. You know the engine is right behind you, but its "muffled". I would really like to hear the sport exhaust. As this is a base model its not going to sound like a race car, which matches the personality of the base 911 I guess.

Ride: My F80 has passive suspension which is way to busy on normal roads. Its always bobbing around even on smooth roads. My feeling is the M engineers dialed in extra bobbing and weaving so the car "feels" sporty but they over did it. The 911 is more compliant than my F80 but with better handling at the same time. Oxymoron I know but that's the magic of Porsche I guess.

Overall: If I'm buying a sports car I'm looking for more of a visceral feel to the car that the 911 lacked. Its more of a "gentleman's" sports car - refined, balanced, does everything its supposed to. But didn't set my hair on fire that I'm looking for. Even on the back roads I was letting it rip, it still felt a bit insulated... like something was being held back from its potential. Always under control. This could be good or bad... depending on what you're looking for.

Value: sticker was about $100k. I would assuming people would lease this car as its not very good value to buy, just pick up one 1.5 years old with 10k on the clock for $75k. I don't consider this car at $100k a good value at all unless you're looking for a $1800 a month lease. I would buy a used R8 or 911 GTS all day at the $100k price point.

I now know the 911 I want is the 911 GTS manual, but its simply above what I'm willing to spend on a car. I refuse to buy a brand new car in this price range to see the steep depreciation.

I may try to find a 991.1 S manual to test drive. I've seen a few cracking the $70k mark and I think they will continue to come down in price as they roll of leases and get close to warranty expiration. If the "S" manual with sport exhaust could "light my fire" that could be worth the jump at $65k. Depreciation should be ~5% to 10% annual at that $65k price if I find the right spec. That could get me by until the 991.1 GTS falls into the $80k range in a couple years.

Anyways. Fantastic cars. If I was looking for a weekend sports car I would probably test drive a Boxter. Likely more visceral feel I'm looking for however I only have 1 garage spot at this time.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 03-11-2017 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Short of buying a GT Porsche they are pretty much pure grand touring cars. They do still have a lot of sports car heritage given Porsche's roots and put up supercer performance and handling. Sounds like a GTS would likely be more you let thing or even better a GT4 or new GT3 6MT.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I've had many M cars over the years feeling the itch to do something different. Currently driving F80 manual. Figured I'd post my thoughts since I enjoy reading other F80 M owners perspective of other options.

Appearance: its a 911 not much to say... black exterior black satin sport wheels looks sporty. I'm not a fan of navy / tan type cars, so black and black is nice. I personally love the 991 look over the 997, looks "finished".

Interior: High quality materials, think "precision". Very Audi like. Certainly a step above the F80 obviously in all ways. Lots of cabin space, I'm 6"2 plenty of headroom. Seats were sporty and comfy. My dream is a full alcantara interior of the GTS

PDK: If I'm buying a 911 its gotta be a manual. The PDK is fantastic, does what is supposed to. But not as engaging as the manual. I'm not tracking the car and it will be a DD so manual is best for daily fun.

Drive: Clinical. Its a sports car at birth vs. the M3 which is a sedan trying to emulate a sports car. The 911 really exposes how the M3 starts as a sedan not a sports car. The 911 sits lower. The steering has feedback and is perfect, you really feel as one with the car. Its so natural and organic. Its not trying to be a sports car, it is a sports car by nature.

Sound: With no sport exhaust the sound is a bit muted in the cabin. You know the engine is right behind you, but its "muffled". I would really like to hear the sport exhaust. As this is a base model its not going to sound like a race car, which matches the personality of the base 911 I guess.

Ride: My F80 has passive suspension which is way to busy on normal roads. Its always bobbing around even on smooth roads. My feeling is the M engineers dialed in extra bobbing and weaving so the car "feels" sporty but they over did it. The 911 is more compliant than my F80 but with better handling at the same time. Oxymoron I know but that's the magic of Porsche I guess.

Overall: If I'm buying a sports car I'm looking for more of a visceral feel to the car that the 911 lacked. Its more of a "gentleman's" sports car - refined, balanced, does everything its supposed to. But didn't set my hair on fire that I'm looking for. Even on the back roads I was letting it rip, it still felt a bit insulated... like something was being held back from its potential. Always under control. This could be good or bad... depending on what you're looking for.

Value: sticker was about $100k. I would assuming people would lease this car as its not very good value to buy, just pick up one 1.5 years old with 10k on the clock for $75k. I don't consider this car at $100k a good value at all unless you're looking for a $1800 a month lease. I would buy a used R8 or 911 GTS all day at the $100k price point.

I now know the 911 I want is the 911 GTS manual, but its simply above what I'm willing to spend on a car. I refuse to buy a brand new car in this price range to see the steep depreciation.

I may try to find a 991.1 S manual to test drive. I've seen a few cracking the $70k mark and I think they will continue to come down in price as they roll of leases and get close to warranty expiration. If the "S" manual with sport exhaust could "light my fire" that could be worth the jump at $65k. Depreciation should be ~5% to 10% annual at that $65k price if I find the right spec. That could get me by until the 991.1 GTS falls into the $80k range in a couple years.

Anyways. Fantastic cars. If I was looking for a weekend sports car I would probably test drive a Boxter. Likely more visceral feel I'm looking for however I only have 1 garage spot at this time.
Pretty dang good analysis. Did you get to rev the 991.2 or drive it hard in the rev range? 911s are definitely a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Docile, comfortable and easy to drive ever day in heavy traffic, yet a very potent weapon on the race track when driven hard.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Short of buying a GT Porsche they are pretty much pure grand touring cars. They do still have a lot of sports car heritage given Porsche's roots and put up supercer performance and handling. Sounds like a GTS would likely be more you let thing or even better a GT4 or new GT3 6MT.
maybe the modern or stock ones are pure Tourers

I took my 996TT on a 16hr road trip and it beat me up a fair bit. Setting aside the "europipe loud 2" exhaust which droned like a mofo, there was a lot of vibration through the seat and the steering wheel was dancing around in my hands on imperfect roads.

I found Gt4 to be more relaxing and easy to drive long distances (even with the LWB)

Stick it out for the GTS you really want and get an after market exhaust OP!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
maybe the modern or stock ones are pure Tourers

I took my 996TT on a 16hr road trip and it beat me up a fair bit. Setting aside the "europipe loud 2" exhaust which droned like a mofo, there was a lot of vibration through the seat and the steering wheel was dancing around in my hands on imperfect roads.

I found Gt4 to be more relaxing and easy to drive long distances (even with the LWB)

Stick it out for the GTS you really want and get an after market exhaust OP!
My comment was purely on the 991 onward. The 997 turbo was a pretty pure GT car too but by and large the 996 and 997 was a bit more visceral and raw. Just look at how prices of the 997s have stayed high on GT cars and very stable on the rest for that reason.
My 991.1S is far more compliant on the road yet stiffer and a far better handler than my M4. I think Porsche still does this the best with Mclaren a close second.
One thing worth mentioning, the 911 has such incredibly high limits that going on a quick test drive might not allow you to really even get into why they're some of the best cars around.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 03-11-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Great review, thanks for sharing...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My comment was purely on the 991 onward. The 997 turbo was a pretty pure GT car too but by and large the 996 and 997 was a bit more visceral and raw. Just look at how prices of the 997s have stayed high on GT cars and very stable on the rest for that reason.
My 991.1S is far more compliant on the road yet stiffer and a far better handler than my M4. I think Porsche still does this the best with Mclaren a close second.
One thing worth mentioning, the 911 has such incredibly high limits that going on a quick test drive might not allow you to really even get into why they're some of the best cars around.
What do you consider a GT??? I can deal with some pretty harsh crap and even drove a an Elise with the sound proofing ripped out, cat bypass, stage II exhaust, crappy lexan windows, and Ohlins in a daily driver fashion, because it was dang fun despite head ringing and all . . . and I have never once thought of any Porsche turbo as a GT car. They are extremely tossable and they are a beast and fun as a heck to drive at or near the limits.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
What do you consider a GT??? I can deal with some pretty harsh crap and even drove a an Elise with the sound proofing ripped out, cat bypass, stage II exhaust, crappy lexan windows, and Ohlins in a daily driver fashion, because it was dang fun despite head ringing and all . . . and I have never once thought of any Porsche turbo as a GT car. They are extremely tossable and they are a beast and fun as a heck to drive at or near the limits.
I consider a GT car one that is comfortable and could be taken on a multi-hour trip with ease and has creature comforts as well as a luxurious interior. That describes a 911 to a 't'. The 911 is unique in that while it can do all that, it can go to and from the track and put down some of the fastest and most consistent times lap after lap.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Vincz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:

Great read, odd timing too. I just test drove a a 2013 911 S with the 7spd manual yesterday. It has sport exhaust too.

I drove the car pretty hard for about half an hour. Its a very different driving experience compared my F80.

Maybe I expected more but I was a bit let down. I enjoyed how it sat, the handling was great, obviously much more sports car like than my M. The power delivery is what I expected from an NA engine, but it was certainly enjoyable above 4krpm.

I would have bought the car but it was hard to convince myself that this car ( it was pretty loaded and had 26kmiles on it) was worth the premium over my car. New my car sticker 72,. This car, 4 years old with 27k miles, was stickered for 73k, I got them to 71k. They offered me 51 for mine.

Was this car worth the 25k more than they wanted to give me for my F80...I wasn't convinced, so I didn't drive off in the 911.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincz View Post
Great read, odd timing too. I just test drove a a 2013 911 S with the 7spd manual yesterday. It has sport exhaust too.

I drove the car pretty hard for about half an hour. Its a very different driving experience compared my F80.

Maybe I expected more but I was a bit let down. I enjoyed how it sat, the handling was great, obviously much more sports car like than my M. The power delivery is what I expected from an NA engine, but it was certainly enjoyable above 4krpm.

I would have bought the car but it was hard to convince myself that this car ( it was pretty loaded and had 26kmiles on it) was worth the premium over my car. New my car sticker 72,. This car, 4 years old with 27k miles, was stickered for 73k, I got them to 71k. They offered me 51 for mine.

Was this car worth the 25k more than they wanted to give me for my F80...I wasn't convinced, so I didn't drive off in the 911.
This is the exact question I'm faced with - is it worth $25k out of pocket to step up to a 991.1 S over my M3. Logically does it make sense - of course not. However the chance to drive a 991 for a few years surely is tempting.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is the exact question I'm faced with - is it worth $25k out of pocket to step up to a 991.1 S over my M3. Logically does it make sense - of course not. However the chance to drive a 991 for a few years surely is tempting.
Forget logic . . . none of these cars make sense $$$ wise, but who cares. You ought to at least once in your life use a 911 as a daily driver. Don't think you would ever leave the brand once you got used to it. Best daily drivers in the world if you don't need a full size back seat.
Appreciate 3
JTO245276.00
quattr0153.00
      03-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
Mapo
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Great review. I have been tossing around moving toward a Cayman S or 911 S but can,t justify the cost. My M4 is One years old, fun car but exactly not the corner hugging dream machine I was looking for. Once my job stabilizes and I convince the wife a trade up might happen (I actually even pointed out to my wife that her IS350 is 3 years old and really needs to be replaced with a Porsche (that I can drive when she works from home)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincz View Post

I felt the same way, OP, after driving a 997.2 C4S 6MT.. nice car but not worth the money over an F80

I changed my tune after trying the "GT" cars and the "Turbo". Totally worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Interesting, I drove my friends 991.2 Cs2 Cab stick, Sport chrono (and maybe sport suspension ?). Anyway, loved everything about it except the engine. Great tranny and suspension, just magic. Drove it back to back with my M3 which is still on winter rubber (lazy) and the difference in rear traction was staggering in favor of the Porsche.

But the engine felt more lethargic and much more obviously turbocharged, with a more gradual pickup, more lag and lots of wastegate/turbo chatter in the back. Less initial kick at low revs than the S55, very surprising. I also noticed less drivetrain windup than in the M, probably because the whole thing is much shorter. My friend thought I'd like the upcoming GTS, and he will trade the C2S for it when he finds one. His conclusion for his own car is that it is nice, but "a bit lacking".

Well he has a different perspective since he owns GT3 RS, but I wouldn't have called it exactly lacking. I was expecting more that's true, wanted the cake and the moon and in the end thought the engine wasn't that great - for the price. Initially I was hoping to get a 991.2 C2S secondhand after my lease expires, but now I'm not so sure, maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for a GTS.

Decisions decisions...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I drove 4 991's

991.2 base PDK - thoughts already posted

12 991.1 manual - the manual is super tight spacing, I'm not sure it would make a good daily. I enjoyed it much more than the .2 with the N/A motor winding out.

15 991.1 base pdk - I really liked it but felt it was still being held back. Although the limits are beyond what I can use in a non track situation.

14 991.1 S PDK sport chrono sport exhaust - OMG this car lit my fire... ha ha. It really felt like it let its hair down vs. the base. Car felt buttoned down, engine revving with an exotic note, and the sport exhaust noises sounded spectacular. It reminded me of driving an E92 with e-race exhaust, but much "lighter" on its feet and much more refined / balanced. SOLD!

So I picked up a 14 Carrera C4S PDK / sport exhaust / sport chrono - loaded up. The 4S has the wider rear hips and the sport exhaust was a must have. The car is being shipped this week, should be here early next week.

I suggest skipping the base and driving a PDK S w/ sport exhaust. It will feel like a big step up from the M, which will then trigger the justification for the price increase and get a feel for what all the hype is about a 911.

However be careful since you might end up car shopping... ha ha. good luck.

Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      04-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I drove 4 991's

12 991.1 manual - the manual is super tight spacing, I'm not sure it would make a good daily. I enjoyed it much more than the .2 with the N/A motor winding out.

15 991.1 base pdk - I really liked it but felt it was still being held back. Although the limits are beyond what I can use in a non track situation.

14 991.1 S PDK sport chrono sport exhaust - OMG this car lit my fire... ha ha. It really felt like it let its hair down vs. the base. Car felt buttoned down, engine revving with an exotic note, and the sport exhaust noises sounded spectacular. It reminded me of driving an E92 with e-race exhaust, but much "lighter" on its feet and much more refined / balanced. SOLD!

So I picked up a 14 Carrera C4S PDK / sport exhaust / sport chrono - loaded up. The 4S has the wider rear hips and the sport exhaust was a must have. The car is being shipped this week, should be here early next week.

I suggest skipping the base and driving a PDK S w/ sport exhaust. It will feel like a big step up from the M, which will then trigger the justification for the price increase and get a feel for what all the hype is about a 911.

Congrats!

I really like the new turbo motors. I like the more linear power band and that it pulls to redline without running out of breath. I think the 911 took well to turbos and the experience is still different than a 911 turbo. It's also one of the most technologically advanced turbo motors and delivers in all aspects, which is probably why it blew the competition out of the water in the International Engine of the year in the 2.5-3 liter category. That said, there is still something really magical about the NA 3.8 especially with the sport exhaust despite the new ones sounding quite good, I think.
I actually think the base car now is worth looking, but the S is still a notch or two above that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I drove 4 991's

My pick out of the newer 911 range would be a 991.1 C2S 7MT. Really enjoyed that car. I've only driven a .2 7MT and it didn't do much for me considering what it costs. As you said, too muted.

Congrats!!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I've driven 5 different 991's.

1) .1 Base C2 Cab w/ 7MT and 20"s- Really like the manual trans. Car feels soft in non-S guise though, especially down low. Left me wanting for more power. Felt dynamically tight for a vert. Looks much better as a Cab than the 997, imo.

2) .1 C2 Coupe w/ PDK and Sport on 19"s- I'll just say it, PDK kills the car for me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's super quick and better than you. It's also somewhat boring. Liked the extra breadth of usability and sharpness w/ Sport Chrono and whatnot. Car felt better to me with the smaller wheels. Still wanted more power.

3) .1 C2S Coupe w/ 7MT and Sport on 20"s- This one I liked. The extra power of that 'S' is definitely noticeable and much welcome. Really strengthens the midrange up. This was my favorite 991 car I've driven.

4) .2 C4S Targa w/ PDK and all Sport options on 20"s- I expected the PDK to 'fit' this car better. And it did, what with all the Sport goodies and whatnot and the newfound power. Car still sounds good. Power delivery is very linear. Makes the car feel slower than it is, which is really, really quick. Liked the PDK more here than in other cars, but still didn't love it. The Targa body style is stunning. MSRP was 154K, and even as huge Porsche fan, I could never justify the cost. Didn't feel as special or eventful as I'd want for a car that price.

5) .1 Turbo S Cab- This was a much briefer drive than the others, admittedly. But I felt enough. Car is ballistic fast. PDK makes sense here, and does not feel like a missed opportunity. Incredibly well-polished and easy to drive for a car that will embarrass many full-on supercars and track rats. Sound was disappointing, though. Car was 207K. I'd much rather have an R8.

As I said, the .1 S Coupe 7MT was my favorite. But you know what? I like the 997 cars even more. I drove a 997.2 S Coupe w/ Sport options and the 6MT, and that car was damn near perfect. Just a spot-on blend of size, power, handling, involvement, comfort, refinement, feel and looks. I hope to find a nice 997 C2S w/ 6MT next year for myself. Or, depending on how the market goes, even a 987 Boxster Spyder.

The problem w/ 911's for me is that (so almost)all of the good stuff comes on the el-cheapo model base rwd coupe. The sound, the classic styling, the quality feel, the crisp, balanced dynamics and character, the heritage. They are all present and accounted for on a 100K base non-S w/ a few basic options. I just can't justify spending an entire sport sedan more in money for a car with slightly more power, extra driven wheels, and a plethora of Porsche's options thrown in. I'm sure the GT cars are a different matter. But the 150K S models that are common these days?? No way.

just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
I drove 4 991's

My pick out of the newer 911 range would be a 991.1 C2S 7MT. Really enjoyed that car. I've only driven a .2 7MT and it didn't do much for me considering what it costs. As you said, too muted.

Congrats!!
I totally agree w you on the mute part when comparing .1 and .2. However, for those of us wanting the tuning capability in the future .2 makes perfect sense IMO.

Congrats OP on the C4S. Welcome to the dark side!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #20
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Congrats!!
You can say the same for just about any car that went turbos...muted...in comparison to NA. That goes for Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc. That's also why the make the sport exhaust for just about any car now too.

Porsche has continued to make the not GTx 911s more and more in the grand touring realm. Yes, they are super capable. Just look at laps times of the 991.2S, they are faster than many track day specials. The new 991.2 GTS runs 7:26 on the Ring with only 440 hp and no aero and on regular summer tires. The true sports cars at the GTs and the 718s fill the sports coupe/roadster roles.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:57 AM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
My pick out of the newer 911 range would be a 991.1 C2S 7MT.
For the new cars, it's got to be GT or bust, in my opinion. They depreciate too dang much otherwise

+1 on "sports exhaust" on the turbo cars or else they are too quiet. Do yourself a favor though if you go aftermarket, and make sure you are ok with it if it drones..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #22
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
I totally agree w you on the mute part when comparing .1 and .2. However, for those of us wanting the tuning capability in the future .2 makes perfect sense IMO.

Congrats OP on the C4S. Welcome to the dark side!
Oh no doubt about their tuning capability. A used 991.2 in the future will be a good buy after they've depreciated a huge amount of their value. Make mine Miami Blue!

Quote:
You can say the same for just about any car that went turbos...muted...in comparison to NA. That goes for Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc. That's also why the make the sport exhaust for just about any car now too.

Porsche has continued to make the not GTx 911s more and more in the grand touring realm. Yes, they are super capable. Just look at laps times of the 991.2S, they are faster than many track day specials. The new 991.2 GTS runs 7:26 on the Ring with only 440 hp and no aero and on regular summer tires. The true sports cars at the GTs and the 718s fill the sports coupe/roadster roles.
While it's a big car, I still think the 991.1 does a good job at being somewhat emotional. The exhaust really helps. Like the OP said, when I drove the 991.2 base, while I know it's a super capable car that will lap faster than most BMW's, it just didn't make my brain go into overdrive and figure out how I could possibly afford one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
For the new cars, it's got to be GT or bust, in my opinion. They depreciate too dang much otherwise

+1 on "sports exhaust" on the turbo cars or else they are too quiet. Do yourself a favor though if you go aftermarket, and make sure you are ok with it if it drones..
Agreed with the GT's. They're just not in my realm of possibility. But a very lightly used .1 C2S would be great! Just as long as you don't get the base seats, those are so damn bad.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0