BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
yifuqiao
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

So damn hard to find a decent shape e90 m3 dct

Morning, everyone,
First post here, wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Yifu.
I have been searching an e90 m3 for a few weeks.
Location is in south California.
A few e90s I have checked out are either modified or seems to be beat up , or simply did not get well taken care of, or did it get fixed right from accident.

I am selling my 2014 lancer evo x gsr today. Coming from an evo, I would hope to keep the car as a sedan, but e90 m3 wth a DCT trans just seem so damn rare.

I have pretty bad spine problems and left leg has shooting pain whenever I clutch in, so a manual is not doable for me, which is the entire reason I am selling my evo. Also, driving the evo in LA traffic after 40mins make me wish I don't have to use left feet.

I am at the point where I am starting to consider a coupe, though I hate 2 door cars. How livable it is if you have a less than 3 y/o kid? Our normal trip configuration is 3 adults and my son. I would love to drive my car more, but if it is a coupe, I imagine it will probably used by me exclusively, and my q5 will be used for trips. Probably not a huge issue, but had a accord coupe and a 350z before, sooo inconvenient.

Another few questions I have is regarding the things to look out for m3:
1. A few m3s I have tested drive have a pretty loud engine tick when cold start, is this is characteristic of the engine? Once warmup, it seems better. I just wanna make sure it is not a sign of rod bearing issue.
2. I was reading the DCT was rated over 600 tq, so I feel like it is really tough. The ones I test drive with over 80k miles on clock shifts really well. Manual mode or automatic. Smooth, no jerk, quick and firm. The take off does take a bit to get used to, it feels like a novice manual driver who needs to rev engine unnecessarily high to get the car going. I don't mind it, but is it a normal thing of the trans? Once it gets going, man, it feels good!
3. My budget is 30k or 35k if it is really good condition. Is this a reason budget for a 09-10 e90 m3 with DCT?

Thanks for everyone's help. I will be car-less in a few hours. Hopefully, I will find my soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifuqiao View Post
Morning, everyone,
My name is Yifu.
A few e90s I have checked out are either modified or seems to be beat up , or simply did not get well taken care of, or did it get fixed right from accident.

I am selling my 2014 lancer evo x gsr today. Coming from an evo, I would hope to keep the car as a sedan, but e90 m3 wth a DCT trans just seem so damn rare.

I have pretty bad spine problems and left leg has shooting pain whenever I clutch in, so a manual is not doable for me, which is the entire reason I am selling my evo. Also, driving the evo in LA traffic after 40mins make me with I don't have to use left feet.

I am at the point where I am starting to consider a coupe, though I hate 2 door cars. How livable it is if you have a less than 3 y/o kid? Our normal trip configuration is 3 adults and my son. I would love to drive my car more, but if it is a coupe, I imagine it will probably used by me exclusively. Probably not a huge issue, but had a accord coupe and a 350z before, sooo inconvenient.

1. A few m3s I have tested drive have a pretty loud engine tick when cold start, is this is characteristic of the engine? Once warmup, it seems better. I just wanna make sure it is not a sign of rod bearing issue.
2. I was reading the DCT was rated over 600 tq, so I feel like it is really tough. The ones I test drive with over 80k miles on clock shifts really well. Manual mode or automatic. Smooth, no jerk, quick and firm. The take off does take a bit to get used to, it feels like a novice manual driver who needs to rev engine unnecessarily high to get the car going. I don't mind it, but is it a normal thing of the trans? Once it gets going, man, it feels good!
3. My budget is 30k or 35k if it is really good condition. Is this a reason budget for a 09-10 e90 m3 with DCT?

Thanks for everyone's help. I will be car-less in a few hours. Hopefully, I will find my soon!
Yep that's the same issue I am having... I just saw a really nice Jerez/beige E90 slicktop too 35k miles but doors have been repainted.

The E90 is much harder to find than the E92. There are currently a few E92s that my budget.
      02-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Morning, everyone,
My name is Yifu.

I have pretty bad spine problems and left leg has shooting pain whenever I clutch in, so a manual is not doable for me, which is the entire reason I am selling my evo. Also, driving the evo in LA traffic after 40mins make me wish I don't have to use left feet.

I am at the point where I am starting to consider a coupe, though I hate 2 door cars. How livable it is if you have a less than 3 y/o kid? Our normal trip configuration is 3 adults and my son. I would love to drive my car more, but if it is a coupe, I imagine it will probably used by me exclusively, and my q5 will be used for trips. Probably not a huge issue, but had a accord coupe and a 350z before, sooo inconvenient.

if you want to find a good m3, you will probably have to look for coupes as well. since you already have a 4 door car (the q5) I imagine it wont be much of an issue.

rod bearing issues are infamous on the BMW s65/s85, but it is not an issue with BMW's alone. basically any high revving engine suffers from this problem and it is due to the fact owners cant resist from hitting redline all the time. if you limit yourself to occasional redlining, I imagine you wouldnt ever have to replace/ service rod bearings. these are high performance engines that dont like to idle. the ticking you hear are valves, not rod bearings.

as a result, frequent oil changes with the proper 10w60 oil is essential for the healthy operation of this motor.

sorry to hear that manuals are out of the equation. if it were me, I would be looking for manual only, and would be very happy if I found an e90 sedan.

good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
yifuqiao
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
if you want to find a good m3, you will probably have to look for coupes as well. since you already have a 4 door car (the q5) I imagine it wont be much of an issue.

rod bearing issues are infamous on the BMW s65/s85, but it is not an issue with BMW's alone. basically any high revving engine suffers from this problem and it is due to the fact owners cant resist from hitting redline all the time. if you limit yourself to occasional redlining, I imagine you wouldnt ever have to replace/ service rod bearings. these are high performance engines that dont like to idle. the ticking you hear are valves, not rod bearings.

as a result, frequent oil changes with the proper 10w60 oil is essential for the healthy operation of this motor.

sorry to hear that manuals are out of the equation. if it were me, I would be looking for manual only, and would be very happy if I found an e90 sedan.

good luck with your search.
Thanks for informative feedbacks!
I feel more comfortable with high mileage m3 now.
You are probably right, although e90 is preferred, I should probably widen my search to e92.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Thanks for informative feedbacks!
I feel more comfortable with high mileage m3 now.
You are probably right, although e90 is preferred, I should probably widen my search to e92.
I wouldnt trust a high mileage m3 unless the engine makes little to no ticking sounds at all.

based on how the average M owner treats these things, its a bit of a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
I wouldn't be concerned with buying a high mileage M3. I did a lot of research and called numerous shops and asked 1 million questions. They all said most of the rod bearing issues from guys that track their car I drove them really really hard. And even at that it's only a small percentage of these cars actually have rod bearing issues. As for the transmissions they're pretty bulletproof. I have not seen too many threads or issue with them.
You might have to look in other states to find the M3 want I live in Florida and flew to Virginia Beach to buy the one I have it's not that big a deal today with face time and email and pictures and a point to get now days is only 200 or so dollars.
Appreciate 1
GVIFlyer294.50
      02-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

The back seat of a coupe is not designed for an adult. I sat in the back of a coworker's and my head touches the ceiling. In my sedan i still have 2" clearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
yifuqiao
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
The back seat of a coupe is not designed for an adult. I sat in the back of a coworker's and my head touches the ceiling. In my sedan i still have 2" clearance.
Honestly, would you say BMW 3 series back seat is usable in general?
I am 6"1 and I found there is no clearance in back seat either when I test drive f30 335 sedan, or the e90 m3s.
luckily, I don't usually have passengers who are as tall as me.

If they are small seats in either e90 or e92, i may just go for e92 as it is easier to find.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

1. the cold start routine is normally quite loud.
2. I used to get the 'bucking' in first gear at times when i first got the car. Haven't done that in forever so I must have adjusted how i modulate the throttle. The DCT is a really great match to this screaming engine. There are also software updates, as well as the GTS tune that make it even smoother.
3. Perfectly reasonable budget. Seems like SoCal would be a good source for M3's. I bought mine out of state and shipped it to the bay area.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
yifuqiao
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
I wouldn't be concerned with buying a high mileage M3. I did a lot of research and called numerous shops and asked 1 million questions. They all said most of the rod bearing issues from guys that track their car I drove them really really hard. And even at that it's only a small percentage of these cars actually have rod bearing issues. As for the transmissions they're pretty bulletproof. I have not seen too many threads or issue with them.
You might have to look in other states to find the M3 want I live in Florida and flew to Virginia Beach to buy the one I have it's not that big a deal today with face time and email and pictures and a point to get now days is only 200 or so dollars.
I wonder if the weather plays a bit factor regarding the rod bearing , buying a s65 from a warm states (i.e., Florida or south California). Probably not a big deal, but it may help a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Morning, everyone,
My name is Yifu.

Welcome. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the cold start is pretty loud. If an engine has a bearing issue, you may not hear anything.
2. There is a bit of a trick to getting a smooth take-off in the DCT. It's far better than the old SMGs were and you will get the hang of it after driving the car for a few days. It's hard to explain, but if you tip into the throttle very slightly, you will feel the clutches grab and then you can accelerate normally. It's second-nature to me now. The M-DCT feels much more like a true manual than other dual-clutch units on the market, which is why take-off isn't quite as smooth. The Audi/VW unit behaves like a traditional auto and isn't as fun to use, in my opinion.
3. Yes, I think 30-35k will get you a good one. Sedans seem to command a slight premium over coupes and are of course rarer.

I will agree that there is a growing number of beat-up M3s, probably because used ones have come down in price which opens the market up to a different class of buyer. You might need to be patient to find one that you're looking for in good shape.

Mine might be for sale this spring, PM me if you are interested.
      02-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

The startup your experiencing sounds normal. Loud and raspy until it idles down.

Skip the coupe if you need 4 doors. I can't imagine having my kids in the backseat of a coupe as a DD. Stay patient, your car will show up. You'll need even more patience if your particular about color, packages/options.

Keep in mind there were roughly 4x as many coupes built as sedans, but at least u want DCT. The E90 manual is the harder car to find in clean, stock condition.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Good luck with purchase OP. I came from an evo ix and needed four doors. I feel your pain with the left leg situation. I once drove to vegas in my evo with upgraded clutch and acl surgery. Holy shit never again lol.

I have an e90 but in manual. These are great cars and a great improvement over the Evo's although they are good cars as well.
      02-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Justin*
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

Good luck in your search. I just bought an e90 dct m3. Mine has more miles on it but, I chose to buy it based on whom was selling it along with knowing its maintenance history. May I ask, are you willing to ship or travel to pick one up? That will greatly improve your odds of finding exactly what you're looking for. I haven't even picked mine up yet; I bought it sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #15
yifuqiao
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin* View Post
Good luck in your search. I just bought an e90 dct m3. Mine has more miles on it but, I chose to buy it based on whom was selling it along with knowing its maintenance history. May I ask, are you willing to ship or travel to pick one up? That will greatly improve your odds of finding exactly what you're looking for. I haven't even picked mine up yet; I bought it sight unseen.
You are absolutely right!
I would rather buy a 100k miles m3 from a member knowing all the history of the car than buying a 70k miles m3 from a dealer.
Honestly, I don't care about miles on these cars.
From what I have been reading, they are pretty tough cars.

I am semi OK with travelling.
I have a full time job, so it is not so convenient for me to arrange travel plans for buying a car. Luckily, I do travel frequently for business, so I will probably start seeing cars during those business trips.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #16
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

There's like 10 great examples on autotrader right now. You They made like 15,000 of them.

Pay 3% more for the one you want and ship it to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #17
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll join us as a new owner soon!
In response to your posting, my motto is "Select, DON'T Settle"...that means if you want a e90, don't get anything else...you will regret it all the times you drive it and lament why you settled just for X reason. It took me the better part of a year to find my garage queen from a member here. The car was pristine (as it is now) with low mileage <30k), DCT and all the other bells and whistles I was seeking. I know that you indicated your budget is 35k but do consider the 2011 e90 with ZCP as I think it will be the ones collectors will want in the future (not to mention the better looks, handling etc. you'll have every time you drive it). Yes, a low mileage one will cost a little bit more but in the long run it will be SO worth it over saving a few thousand and regretting it in the future.
Also, be willing to find the car wherever it is located in the continental US. That will mean a THOROUGH PPI from a reputable shop where the car is located, but with a forum member you'll have detailed info on the car as to history, maintenance, possible defects, etc.). You may consider as I and others have done and buy the car sight unseen, with shipping...or fly and drive it home.
Either way, take your time...be patient but persistent...check many sources every day and have others bird-dog for you. You'll find the right one and when you do, post pics here!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262868201007...84.m1436.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-BMW-M3-...m=361911862728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-BMW-M3-...m=322432061822
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-BMW-M3-...m=112313388428

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-BMW-M3-...m=292022667367

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-BMW-M3-...m=292037768093
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

A few weeks is nothing lol. Finding the right used car, especially a niche market one such as an E90 M3 takes months. Be patient and the right one for you will turn up. Don't forget it's still winter in most parts of the country, sellers will wait until its driving season to list their cars to attract more buyers and get a premium.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #21
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Hey mate,

Not the US (Aussie here) but I hear ya. E90's are rare as hen's teeth over here and I spent the better part of a year chasing mine down. I had a look at 4 or 5 before finding mine and they were all dreadful. Either the interior was so beat up it looked 50 years old or the panels were covered in carpark dents.
The right one is out there man, just stay patient and you'll get there

Here's what a year of patience and not "settling" can get you

Appreciate 3
UPSROD947.00
GVIFlyer294.50
      02-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #22
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
There's like 10 great examples on autotrader right now. You They made like 15,000 of them.

Pay 3% more for the one you want and ship it to yourself.
E90M3 is about 1/3 that number for both US and Canada (5867 E90 M3s total imported, 2008-2011); of that total there were 2732 DCT cars (mostly 2011s where 6MTs were only about 28%).

Hence he's searching a field of only 2732 total cars some of which went to Canada. Hence the reason it's hard to find a nice condition, well cared for example.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0