ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, M4, RRS Autobiography

swapped cars with my buddy (C63S) review

I have the pleasure of driving my good friend's c63S

If anyone is interested in a casual drivers input (I don't performance drive/ track at all), here are my thoughts so far..

1. It sounds quieter than my MPE M4 but it sounds so much better.

2. I fucking hate the infotainment system it is difficult to use because of that weird touchpad thing... or maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

3. The feel of the car is drastically different than my M4. Its not "floaty" but it feels more like my 335i on steroids than my M4 which I feel is much more rigid. Its very very punchy so it feels like its faster than my car (which it is) and the throttle response is much more reactive imo than our cars.

4. TRACTION is also an issue on this car albeit not as severe as in ours. Everyone bashes on the new f80's because of traction difficulties but its just the same in the c63, you have to be careful with the throttle from dead start or you'll have difficulties launching. This car also goes sideways pretty easily too.

All in all, I have a few more days with it but I feel once I get back into my M4 its going to feel like a skateboard in terms of suspension. I was very surprised how the c63 didn't have that stuck to the ground feel as I do with my f80.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 4
mgcyr106.00
nathanm4683.00
mc3456389.50
      02-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Is your friend's C63 a coupe or sedan?

I think they are great cars. Sometimes I wish the sedan looked more exciting.

Just curious how did your friend like the sound of your MPE M4?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Is your friend's C63 a coupe or sedan?

I think they are great cars. Sometimes I wish the sedan looked more exciting.

Just curious how did your friend like the sound of your MPE M4?
The funny part is he thinks my m4 with mpe sounds much better LOL hes not even trying to be nice thats his actual opinion. The thing about the mpe is that when you start ripping it and your revs climb, the volume gets increasingly loud and high pitched. The c63 I feel has the same tone throughout the rpm range.

He has the sedan... its a better car if your into the more.. luxurious and classy look but I think I like the raw and wild nature of our car better.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Thoughts on the interior? It looks really nice in pics...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Test drove the 63s coupe 2 weeks back...gonna pull the trigger and get it soon . Absolutely loved it, albeit I didn't fiddle with the infotainment system at all. Just focused on driving the thing. I drove it in the dry in comfort through to sport+ and did a race launch (race mode) and didn't really find the traction issue overwhelming; maybe because I have driven rear wheel drive cars all my life and have gotten into and out of hairy situations with lesser powered cars as well.

The things I loved - The AMG seats, the interior, V8 noise and exhaust cracks and pops, and even the ride was compliant in sport+ mode. That thing is rapid...

Gona go test drive an M4 just for comparison sake in two weeks then take it from there.

edit: Does your friend's car have the performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Need4spd28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

The interior on those things is practically a work of art. The exterior however, leaves me wanting. It just looks too darn much like a regular C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

I agree with OP. I want to here the engine on a performance car, its a part of the visceral experience that males driving fun. This is one the reasons i hate the tesla. The c63s sounds much better, v8 will almost always sound better than I6/V6, but i listen to music when i drive so it doesnt matter to me if it sounds good but I cant hear it. Even with music off, you have to pay attention to hear the engine (might be because my hearing is going and I'm used to loud engines from 911, M3). I also agree that it feels like a really fast C-class, like the equivalent of going from a 320 to a 340. Interior design is definitely much better.

If you dont go to the track, the C63s is a better daily driver and more comfortable, but for light track use l choose the M3. But if i werent planning to drive it aggressively, i would just go for the 340/c43 to save money since they are more than capable for daily use.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I love BMW and had the 3 series from 1987 model up until my beloved 335i I couldn't seem to get rid of. But for the 2016 YM I was getting an M4 with local dealer. Worked number etc. I drove the C63S Sedan and all that changed. It didn't hurt my wife liked the C63 over the M4. You know the main difference from my perspective is C63S is just a lot more luxurious than the more raw M4. Well the C63S costs a lot more too but thats life. And in real life even after a lifetime with BMWs I can say the C63S is an easier car to drive fast. And it is faster no matter what the journalists say, but it shouldn't matter since none of us are ever going to find the absolute limits of these cars. The infotainment is retarded yes, but thats not why you buy the car, once you learn its quirks you can do everything you want to with little issue. I also hope the sedan were more differentiated from the normal sedan but oh well not a deal breaker.
      02-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
I agree with OP. I want to here the engine on a performance car, its a part of the visceral experience that males driving fun. This is one the reasons i hate the tesla. The c63s sounds much better, v8 will almost always sound better than I6/V6, but i listen to music when i drive so it doesnt matter to me if it sounds good but I cant hear it. Even with music off, you have to pay attention to hear the engine (might be because my hearing is going and I'm used to loud engines from 911, M3). I also agree that it feels like a really fast C-class, like the equivalent of going from a 320 to a 340. Interior design is definitely much better.

If you dont go to the track, the C63s is a better daily driver and more comfortable, but for light track use l choose the M3. But if i werent planning to drive it aggressively, i would just go for the 340/c43 to save money since they are more than capable for daily use.
Doc, the C63S is silly fast. Actually for us non-race drivers I can tell you back to back I could drive it faster than M4 its a lot more forgiving and the traction control is much better and less detectable in the C63S than in the M4
      02-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #10
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

your thoughts reflect my own but I've never actually driven it. the infotainment is weird, lack of a 6MT, less than inspiring exterior were the things that had pushed me to the M3 in the first place. I still like the c63 and may even get one, but nothing about the way the M3 looks or feels is something I dislike... there may be better cars out there, but (aside from sound....) there was nothing in either of my 3 f80s that I just really didn't like and the c63 has multiple things I dislike before even driving it. for a track car I can forgive certain things, but as a car I want to drive every day, I don't want it to have things I say "I don't like the XYZ" ... because cars I complain about don't last long in my garage lol.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Love the AMG Coupe, but cannot get past the looks of the Sedan. Coupe is cool. Sedan is hideous or plain Jane at best. I really like Mercedes and the new cars they are putting out, but I have never been a fan of the entry level Cs.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I am pretty relieved to know others share my sentiment about the infotainment system. IT IS SO COMPLICATED.

I'm fairly used to it now that I have driven it for a few days but damn it was a challenge in the beginning. I liked the old benz system better, this one is weird, clumsy with the touchpad, and for whatever reason they decided to put the round knob thing right over the touchpad and its really awkward.

The interior is very nice imo. It has an upscale feel that I do not really get in my M4.

The drive, like I said earlier, is very different so I suppose its up to the person on what they like better. C63 is more of a refined drive while the M4 feels more of... a sports car i suppose? They are both sporty just that the c63 doesn't feel as planted to the ground. It probably does handle as well as the M4 but it doesn't give me AS much confidence when going through twisty roads.

Last edited by asuh1991; 02-19-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Love the AMG Coupe, but cannot get past the looks of the Sedan. Coupe is cool. Sedan is hideous or plain Jane at best. I really like Mercedes and the new cars they are putting out, but I have never been a fan of the entry level Cs.
I have the exact opposite opinion of the C63; I'd drive the sedan but can't stand the looks of the Coupe. Funny how subjective looks are.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      02-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
I have the exact opposite opinion of the C63; I'd drive the sedan but can't stand the looks of the Coupe. Funny how subjective looks are.
Saw a grey sedan today. Looks like a low budget C class. The M3 also looks a bit too much like a low budget 3 series, except the flares, 20 inch wheels and and a few tweaks in nose and hood. Perhaps it's just my issues, but I am used to driving cars that pop and that you don't see coming or going. I wouldn't be attracted to C sedan even if it had Porsche turbo performance. Too vanilla, plain Jane budget looking to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh1991 View Post
Yeah I am pretty relieved to know others share my sentiment about the infotainment system. IT IS SO COMPLICATED.

I'm fairly used to it now that I have driven it for a few days but damn it was a challenge in the beginning. I liked the old benz system better, this one is weird, clumsy with the touchpad, and for whatever reason they decided to put the round knob thing right over the touchpad and its really awkward.

The interior is very nice imo. It has an upscale feel that I do not really get in my M4.

The drive, like I said earlier, is very different so I suppose its up to the person on what they like better. C63 is more of a refined drive while the M4 feels more of... a sports car i suppose? They are both sporty just that the c63 doesn't feel as planted to the ground. It probably does handle as well as the M4 but it doesn't give me AS much confidence when going through twisty roads.
I came out of BMW unbroken streak of almost 20yrs! Am aging myself I don't feel that old though. But yeah I get into a BMW its like wearing my jeans I know exactly what to expect. Thing is I initially had your feeling with the C63S, but once you get used to it, you'll be surprised how fast you can fling the thing around. Its actually more predictable than the M4 because its so progressive withe traction control and no surprising snap bite mid slide. But yes, that silly infotainment thing and pickup truck gear stalk will never grow on you and every once in a while you will course at it. Especially the gear stick forces odd placement of wiper controls. I don't plan on keeping this one would like to get the 9-speed & AWD if they bring it to the C63S. Also if they should revise the suspension more towards comfort I would be persuaded to upgrade to that. I really wanted the coupe but compromised for the wife wanting a 4 door.

The M3 was rough the M4 similar. She wasn't feeling either and didn't care if I got one or not. She loved the C63S as did I, so I decided to get that instead. The range rover feels a little too big for her but I love it. I felt a bit selfish getting only what I like so C63S it was. Now she drives both and seems happy to swap every few days.
      02-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Saw a grey sedan today. Looks like a low budget C class. The M3 also looks a bit too much like a low budget 3 series, except the flares, 20 inch wheels and and a few tweaks in nose and hood. Perhaps it's just my issues, but I am used to driving cars that pop and that you don't see coming or going. I wouldn't be attracted to C sedan even if it had Porsche turbo performance. Too vanilla, plain Jane budget looking to me.
First world problems . No I get whay you are saying. I too wish it was a bit more differentiated, but its meant to family friendly sedan. Something your mum would not mind driving but that you can be happy with and get a few giggles driving. What you are describing you like is probably too racy for general population. Blame this on economics and marketing \ accounting departments. Maybe go for the AMG GT. Its priced a little high for comfort but its a fantastic car. Same engine loads of fun.
      02-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #17
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
First world problems . No I get whay you are saying. I too wish it was a bit more differentiated, but its meant to family friendly sedan. Something your mum would not mind driving but that you can be happy with and get a few giggles driving. What you are describing you like is probably too racy for general population. Blame this on economics and marketing \ accounting departments. Maybe go for the AMG GT. Its priced a little high for comfort but its a fantastic car. Same engine loads of fun.
I would rather have a CLS or an S Class. My wife had a CLS 550 and it was a decent car. It drove well and felt much smaller than its size. I really like the new S class and the S Class Coupe is amazing. The CLS 63 is a beast and I also really like my wife's S7 that we keep in Florida. I would take any of those over the C63 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #18
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would rather have a CLS or an S Class. My wife had a CLS 550 and it was a decent car. It drove well and felt much smaller than its size. I really like the new S class and the S Class Coupe is amazing. The CLS 63 is a beast and I also really like my wife's S7 that we keep in Florida. I would take any of those over the C63 sedan.
Well the cls 63 and the rs7 are quite a bit more expensive than the c63.. I think anyone would take those two over the c63.

If I had S class money I would probably not be shopping in bmw or benz anymore I would think.

Hopefully when I enter my 30's!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #19
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh1991 View Post
Well the cls 63 and the rs7 are quite a bit more expensive than the c63.. I think anyone would take those two over the c63.

If I had S class money I would probably not be shopping in bmw or benz anymore I would think.

Hopefully when I enter my 30's!
Oh lord am in my 40s and feel like a geezer reading this!

It comes down to preference. I like the S coupe too. Its a gorgeous car. Only problem is its a bit too huge of a car for me. If am gonna drive something that big am going to the SUVs, thats why I bought a range rover. For a car the C63S is about my the limit of how big I really want one. My wife wanted a Honda Fit. No really, thats what she actually wanted. I convinced her no, because we are talking about a baby maybe in the near future, and with the way people drive around here I'd not want her in that should an accident happen. Also the only way I was going to get rid of my 335 is if I bought something else fun I could also enjoy. The range rover is too big to fling around. Its perhaps the equivalent of an S-Class Sedan.

I just prefer a little more metal and engineering to protect you as long as you can afford it. You can be the most careful driver in the world and someone else brings the accident to you anyway. I used to own a 1984 Toyota Celica hatchback and got rear-ended in that by a jaguar in a tool both that was doing about 60mph. If I had a rear passenger they'd not have lived. I and my passenger were not ok in the front seats either. I cant imagine an SUV or a mercedes folding the way that car did. Imagine having a baby in the car.
      02-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #20
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Oh lord am in my 40s and feel like a geezer reading this!

It comes down to preference. I like the S coupe too. Its a gorgeous car. Only problem is its a bit too huge of a car for me. If am gonna drive something that big am going to the SUVs, thats why I bought a range rover. For a car the C63S is about my the limit of how big I really want one. My wife wanted a Honda Fit. No really, thats what she actually wanted. I convinced her no, because we are talking about a baby maybe in the near future, and with the way people drive around here I'd not want her in that should an accident happen. Also the only way I was going to get rid of my 335 is if I bought something else fun I could also enjoy. The range rover is too big to fling around. Its perhaps the equivalent of an S-Class Sedan.

I just prefer a little more metal and engineering to protect you as long as you can afford it. You can be the most careful driver in the world and someone else brings the accident to you anyway. I used to own a 1984 Toyota Celica hatchback and got rear-ended in that by a jaguar in a tool both that was doing about 60mph. If I had a rear passenger they'd not have lived. I and my passenger were not ok in the front seats either. I cant imagine an SUV or a mercedes folding the way that car did. Imagine having a baby in the car.
Have you driven a CLS? That car hides its size and weight well. It is 2 inches wider and maybe 6 inches longer, sits lower and is shorter than the C. Too me, the car feels like driving a high end coupe which it is designed to be. The C class feels and look econo to me all the way. Perhaps if I was not going from a CLS down I would fell differently, but I cannot wrap my head around a C sedan of any variety.

I was hit head on in my 1987 MR2 in 1987 by a drunk driver in a 78 Plymouth station wagon. 3 months in the hospital for me. Passenger dead. Guy who hit us just had a broken nose. I still drive very small cars on the road though including a lightened Elise and a Roisson. If it's your time, it's your time, but definitely child safety is first and foremost.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 02-20-2017 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #21
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

It's no iDrive but you'll get used to it soon, some cool features, but everything is tedious. I plan on hopping into a c63s coupe eventually, but do want to see what BMW does with the M4 CS. Been seeing more and more 63 coupes around San Diego recently, but m3/4s are on every street, it's nuts! Post some more of your findings now that you've had more seat time.
Appreciate 0