BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Nuttertmf
Rep
Drives: M3

Currently stuck in limp mode, lots of problems fixed

Hey All,

Like the title says...I just had tons of problems. 2009 e92 m3. I was able to clear most of them piecemeal...whether they are all interrelated is another matter. My car wasn't starting and could not be jumped. This was traced back to a faulty starter which was replaced. My battery was also replaced. Engine was misfiring and fixed through replacing a coil. Pedal was replaced to clear a pedal sensor code.

Car is currently stuck in limp mode with the following codes. Any thoughts on what these last ones may be?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// ECU Type : Siemens DME MSS60
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Hardware Number : 7848125
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Software Number : 7842398
// Hardware Reference Number : 0569QT0Z240EEKUV0
// Vehicle Identification Number : WBSWD93559P361022
// Ecu Manufacturing Date : 21.11.2008
//
// 1) 2B06 Pedal value sensor 2
// 2) 2B07 Pedal value sensor plausibility
// 3) 2796 Motor emergency programm activated
// 4) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thoughts on what could have caused ALL of that to fail at the same time would be appreciated! My AC is blowing cooler on the passenger's side too...but I have been told that is unrelated and is a common problem on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

The last two codes are just for limp mode. they mean almost nothing except your car went into limp mode. the first two after a quick Google search leads to a potential bad accelerator pedal. thats a new one for me. never thought a bad accelerator pedal could cause limp mode but anything is possible I guess.

Edit: just reread and I missed the first part. not sure why your car is stuck in limp mode but if you replaced your accelerator and cleared your codes all should be good. the last two codes do not indicate a problem they are just telling you that your car entered emergency mode (limp mode). something isn't right. you should have more codes. recommend relearning codes and seeing if limp mode goes away
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Nuttertmf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
The last two codes are just for limp mode. they mean almost nothing except your car went into limp mode. the first two after a quick Google search leads to a potential bad accelerator pedal. thats a new one for me. never thought a bad accelerator pedal could cause limp mode but anything is possible I guess.

Edit: just reread and I missed the first part. not sure why your car is stuck in limp mode but if you replaced your accelerator and cleared your codes all should be good. the last two codes do not indicate a problem they are just telling you that your car entered emergency mode (limp mode). something isn't right. you should have more codes. recommend relearning codes and seeing if limp mode goes away
Yea that is what odd, when I clear it, it comes back immediately. Going back into a different shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it. Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I had something similar last year. I had limp mode three separate times over the course of a week. They replaced the coils and both TAs and I still had limp mode. They opened 2 puma cases and eventually traced it back to a DME issue. They updated the software and the problem went away. Something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Nuttertmf
Rep

They are keeping my car over the weekend and starting on it next week. I was told it is a short in the wiring harness and there is a melted wire in there. The pedal code is due to a communications issue related to the wiring harness problem.

They are going to trace the melted wire back to see if they can find a cause and hopefully save me from having my wiring harness replaced.
Appreciate 0