Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

05-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #1
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
UK car missing storage compartment below light switches - Is this a factory error?

So I collected my M4 cabriolet 2 weeks ago and my friend collected his M4 coupe a couple of days after me. I have a little storage area under the light switches but my friends coupe has a "blank" there. Neither of us have any of the driver assist options so there are no buttons there on either car. Is it it normal to have the cubby blanked out?

Here's mine: -

Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  46.3 KB

And here's a bad image of my friends. Will try to get a clearer one later.

Name:  IMG_2234.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  14.0 KB

Thanks,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Is this not Extended Storage?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlj View Post
Well I didn't order extended storage. I ordered the through loading system on mine but can't see that they would add a cubby in the front with that option.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
First time I see that area blanked out. I have the storage compartment on my M4 coupe. Could this be a cost cutting measure?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
First time I see that area blanked out. I have the storage compartment on my M4 coupe. Could this be a cost cutting measure?
I'm not so sure. I contacted BMW customer service and they think it's wrong and said to go to the dealership. I'm just amazed that this could happen if it is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
I'm not so sure. I contacted BMW customer service and they think it's wrong and said to go to the dealership. I'm just amazed that this could happen if it is wrong.
The question is, why do the parts that eliminates the storage compartment even exist?

Until now, I had just assumed that any 3/4/M3/M4 that did not have the driver assistance options would have the compartment there. Perhaps there has always been a blank area there on lower end 3/4 Series sold overseas, but I wasn't aware of it. If that's the case, then I would say this is likely an error. If it's not the case, then this may be a new, running change to cut costs on cars that don't have the switch panel installed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlj View Post
Could be I suppose, although if so, the OP got a freebie (unless perhaps it is standard on F83 but not on F82). I've never been exactly clear what that option entails. All US bound F3x/F8x vehicles have the option as far as I know so its not something that gets much coverage around here nor is there much awareness about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The question is, why do the parts that eliminates the storage compartment even exist?

Until now, I had just assumed that any 3/4/M3/M4 that did not have the driver assistance options would have the compartment there. Perhaps there has always been a blank area there on lower end 3/4 Series sold overseas, but I wasn't aware of it. If that's the case, then I would say this is likely an error. If it's not the case, then this may be a new, running change to cut costs on cars that don't have the switch panel installed there.

Could be I suppose, although if so, the OP got a freebie (unless perhaps it is standard on F83 but not on F82). I've never been exactly clear what that option entails. All US bound F3x/F8x vehicles have the option as far as I know so its not something that gets much coverage around here nor is there much awareness about it.
I think it's not there on 4 series cars hence the need for the blanking plate. I just can't find any evidence that it's part of a package in the M cars. I can't find another M car that doesn't have the cubby yet still find it hard to believe this could be missed in the manufacturing process.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
I think it's not there on 4 series cars hence the need for the blanking plate.
I'm fairly sure its there on all the cars that come to the US, but like I say, it could be optional in ROW. So you may very well be right.

Quote:
I can't find another M car that doesn't have the cubby yet still find it hard to believe this could be missed in the manufacturing process.
Mistakes along these lines do happen. It's not common, but certainly not unheard of.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I have just had a look on the UK configurator and on the F82 it is an option, part of the £155 extended storage pack. This option does not exist on the F83, so assume it is standard on the convertible.

Extended storage

£ 155.00

The Extended Storage package includes a compartment with lid on the driver's side, bags on the backs of the front seats, 12-V sockets in the rear of the centre console and in the luggage compartment, a storage net on the luggage compartment floor, two bag holders in the luggage compartment, a strap for partitioning the luggage compartment and a segmented storage tray under the luggage compartment floor (M4 models only).
      05-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
I have just had a look on the UK configurator and on the F82 it is an option, part of the £155 extended storage pack. This option does not exist on the F83, so assume it is standard on the convertible.

Extended storage

£ 155.00

The Extended Storage package includes a compartment with lid on the driver's side, bags on the backs of the front seats, 12-V sockets in the rear of the centre console and in the luggage compartment, a storage net on the luggage compartment floor, two bag holders in the luggage compartment, a strap for partitioning the luggage compartment and a segmented storage tray under the luggage compartment floor (M4 models only).
Thanks for looking that up Washy. Clearly you know more than BMW UK but that doesn't surprise me. I'll refer my friend to the configurator before he storms into the dealership demanding a total refund due to a lack of this storage compartment.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Whoa I thought the extended storage option was just one of you joking around.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #12
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Whoa I thought the extended storage option was just one of you joking around.
Nope sadly all true...