04-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5d M-Sport DHP

Early Thoughts: E70 vs F15

Hi All,

I've had my F15 for about a week now and I do love it so far. Below are a few random thoughts comparing my E70 diesel to my new F15 diesel.

1. I prefer the seats in the E70. Both of my cars have the comfort seats with ventilation. I prefer the bigger bolsters on the E70. The seat just sort of snugged me in better if that makes sense. I also REALLY miss the bolsters deflating when I exit the car in the E70.

2. I prefer the heavy steering in the E70. I know many will disagree, but it was just so much more accurate feeling.

3. I prefer the bigger mirrors on the E70 - Silly I know, but the huge mirrors were really nice for better visibility on the E70. The F15 mirrors feel more like car mirrors than SUV mirrors.

4. I much prefer the technology in the F15. Everything is familiar but just seems to work that much better.

5. I love the 8 speed transmission in the F15. I can already tell this car will get better MPG than the old one - and it feels stronger off the line.

6. The E70 sounded more diesely - which I sort of preferred. The F15 has a deeper, sportier rumble which I also enjoy.

7. The DHP on the F15 is awesome. I can already tell how much better this car handles vs my E70. The run flats are still too firm though.

Overall I'm really enjoying my new F15. It looks great, and feels great all around. My biggest complaint is the steering. It's not even how light the steering is, it's more the lack of feedback. Someone mentioned on here, I believe, that the F15 steering almost feels more twitchy. I agree with that - it just feels like you can't always tell where the front wheels are or what they're doing.

Hope that helps someone!

A few (bad) photos attached as well. My E70 was named Big Bertha - it just seemed to fit. Not sure what to name the new F15!

Thanks,
Attached Images

'03 Porsche 996 Turbo X50
Appreciate 4
      04-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
edpm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8, 2021 X5 M50i, 1995 M3

Having driven my new F15 X5d for five days and 650 miles, I have similar observations in comparing it to my recently departed E70.

1. Not getting the multi-contour seats in my E70 was the biggest mistake I made when ordering that vehicle. The stock seats were hard and unforgiving and nothing like the comfortable seats in my E53. So in my case, I love the new multi-contour seats in the F15.

2. Agree on the steering. The F15 steering is very light and soulless. It's great in a parking lot, but not so much on the highway. However, there is a fix, although you will pay the price in fuel mileage: Sport Mode. While still not providing the feel of direct-linkage steering on older BMWs, the steering in Sport Mode stiffens up and feels better when doing spirited driving.

3. Haven't really noticed the difference in the mirrors. When I tow, I strap on mirror extensions—after applying masking tape to protect the paint—to see beyond the trailer. BMW should make a trailer add-on camera that attaches to the back of the trailer and shows the rear view on the central display. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

4. Technology. Agree with sgtpeper. The active cruise control is one of my new favorite options. My E70 missed the cutoff for most of the ConnectedDrive stuff.

5. Eight-speed transmission. Agree. Big improvement. I haven't towed with it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Just the driving in the last five days, from real twisties to interstate cruising, I'm seeing a 4–5 mpg improvement.

6. Yes, the E70 did sound more like a diesel, but I don't miss that. The F15 motor is really quiet, especially for a diesel. In fact, my wife commented on how quiet the whole vehicle is compared to the last one.

7. Didn't get DHP.

Other things I like: the return of the sunglasses holder; the display screen; the handle for the glove compartment on the glove compartment where it belongs; rear climate controls for the back seat passengers; not getting the iPhone adapter in the center console; it still has a dipstick only now you can reach it without taking off the plastic engine cover first; main DEF tank filler is out in the open and you can reach it without taking off the plastic engine cover first.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Hi All,

I've had my F15 for about a week now and I do love it so far. Below are a few random thoughts comparing my E70 diesel to my new F15 diesel.

1. I prefer the seats in the E70. Both of my cars have the comfort seats with ventilation. I prefer the bigger bolsters on the E70. The seat just sort of snugged me in better if that makes sense. I also REALLY miss the bolsters deflating when I exit the car in the E70.

2. I prefer the heavy steering in the E70. I know many will disagree, but it was just so much more accurate feeling.

3. I prefer the bigger mirrors on the E70 - Silly I know, but the huge mirrors were really nice for better visibility on the E70. The F15 mirrors feel more like car mirrors than SUV mirrors.

4. I much prefer the technology in the F15. Everything is familiar but just seems to work that much better.

5. I love the 8 speed transmission in the F15. I can already tell this car will get better MPG than the old one - and it feels stronger off the line.

6. The E70 sounded more diesely - which I sort of preferred. The F15 has a deeper, sportier rumble which I also enjoy.

7. The DHP on the F15 is awesome. I can already tell how much better this car handles vs my E70. The run flats are still too firm though.

Overall I'm really enjoying my new F15. It looks great, and feels great all around. My biggest complaint is the steering. It's not even how light the steering is, it's more the lack of feedback. Someone mentioned on here, I believe, that the F15 steering almost feels more twitchy. I agree with that - it just feels like you can't always tell where the front wheels are or what they're doing.

Hope that helps someone!

A few (bad) photos attached as well. My E70 was named Big Bertha - it just seemed to fit. Not sure what to name the new F15!

Thanks,

Right mine is just over 2 weeks old now with 1k miles done. I have the 4.0d m sport my old e70 was a 3.0d s line.

I kind of agree with you then kind of don't.

1 Yes my old seats were better than the new ones, agree with that as I have the standard m sport seats now compared to the standard se seats but I also need a little more time to sort the new ones out so judgement out on this one for now.

2 in comfort mode the steering is a a little light, but that's the idea, in sport mode everything tightens up nicely. I like that!

3 yes loved the big Lorry mirrors on the e70 great vision. But the f15 looks far better on the eye if not so great when driving (reverse function is a pain too which I'm looking to sort)

4 f15 miles better, I have the digital dash which is a dream

5 no change here my 2012 e70 has the same box as the f15

6 agree f15 far better

7 fully agree

Overall F15 is great compared to E70. I loved my old girl she was fantastic but new one beats her in almost every department.

Nice topic
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

WOW, so its not jsut me could not agree more with each point!!! spot on man.

Exactly the side mirrors! Bigger were better.
Steering, yes!!! A whole threat about it here somewhere. The F15 steering is soccer mom's car setup, not a sporty BMW anymore. Zero feedback now. The E70 was like a go cart despite its size and weight, especially on the german autobahn...

As for the comfort seats the E70 seemed bigger and better for me also.

I would also add the drivers door side panel armrest, such a rip-off money saver version on the F15. looks like Hyundai

Engine, electronics, and tranny much better in F15 for sure.

IMHO technology + on the F15 but rest is such obvious money and Eco regulations crap savings...... sad even in such class and brand
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Chef NOLA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 4.0i

+1 on the steering. My previous X was the E53 - loved the feel of the wheel on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

i miss the active seat massage function i had on my 48i and x5m.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My previous car was also a E70 35i and here are my response to yours.

1. My comfort seat bolsters deflate and inflate as I close and open the door.
Make sure your seats are comfort seats and not "Sport seats" as the sports seats have the bolsters but do not inflate/deflate.

2. I also prefer the heavier steering on my E70 but only during highway speeds.. during low parking lot speeds its a chore and unnecessary. I was worried when I first got the F15 but as time went on I realized that I prefer the lighter steering feel of the F15.. during highway speeds I feel that it is precise and accurate as well. Give it more time and I am confident you will feel the same. It's amazing how the human body and mind adjust to changes.

3. I agree and think the bigger mirrors on the E70 has big advantages.. However, given the look of the F15 ( although slightly longer ) looks more athletic and slimmer than the E70 which to me looks more stockier and slightly bloated. Putting a bigger mirror would make the F15 look weird and out of place. One solution is to install Euro mirrors ( http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1131530 )

4. +1

5. I had a 35i, so I am used to the same transmission 8 speed on the E70

Tip#1 Not sure if you had a chance to check your rear secret compartment but.. make sure you do to find a free cargo net http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=euro+mirror

Enjoy
      04-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes! I miss the massager as well. No one else misses the seats deflating when you get out of the car? Getting into my E70 always made me feel like Darth Vader - everything just sort of came into place when you got into the car. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes! I miss the massager as well. No one else misses the seats deflating when you get out of the car? Getting into my E70 always made me feel like Darth Vader - everything just sort of came into place when you got into the car. Does that make sense?
^^ Read my response above
      04-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Kzang - I do in fact have the multi-contour seats. You have to have them to get the ventilated option. Yours deflate when you get out?? Maybe they stopped that for '16??

Also, yes I found the cargo net. I wish you could attach it to one side or the other instead of having to go between the drivers and passengers side.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep

That's what I figured on the vented seats, but wasn't 100% sure so I didn't assume it.

Are you able to adjust the side bolsters? Tighten it up all the way, then set it on your seat memory.. then shut down the car, restart and see if the memory will inflate the side bolsters and deflate as you open the cars door.
      04-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes! I miss the massager as well. No one else misses the seats deflating when you get out of the car?
My 50i has this feature along with the steering wheel retracting and the seat itself moving to the furthest position for maximum ease in entry.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My seat definitely doesn't slide back - didn't do that on y E70.

I usually have my seating position with the bolsters pretty far in - I'm fairly short at just 5'5.

The bolsters definitely don't move for me when I turn the car off or open the door. Weird...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep

But are you able to adjust them with the press of the setting buttons on the side?

If so, then I think it is an issue with the seat memory. My bolsters inflate and adjust as I close the door while the car is on and deflate as I open the door and exit.
      04-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just tried what you said - yes, if I move the bolsters to a different setting and then hit the memory button the bolsters move back to where I set them.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
eptrail
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive35i

What's your thoughts on Murray? I purchased my second BMW [2016 X5] from Schomp two months ago, despite the nightmare their service department had been on warranty issues involving my 2014 X6. I give Schomp's sales department high ratings since they got me in and out in 90 minutes. I knew what I wanted and they found the vehicle over in Boise on a Thursday and had it here the following Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Not quite apples to apples but

Quote:
Hi All,

Hope that helps someone!

Thanks,
I agree with almost everything above but I am comparing E71 to F16. My recent history is '08 X5 50i, '10 X6 50i, '13 X6M, '16 X6 50i (4 months) and current '16 X6M. My heart belongs to the E71, specifically the '10 50i which is my favorite vehicle ever.

For a few different reasons I went backwards from the '13 M to the '16 50i. I hated it. The initial issues were mainly the seats and mirrors. After I tried to get past the seats I realized the handling - steering, floaty cushy ride, body roll sucked. I traded up to the M. Although the M is closer to what I expected, I really miss my E71s. Had I known then what I know now, I would have held on to the '13 M.

The new tech is great, as is the 8 speed but everything thing else IMO was better in the previous generation. I know it is subjective but I find the E71 was meaner looking, now it's pretty and looks more like the rest of the lineup. I feel BMW also watered down the handling and steering to attract more of the Benz and Lexus buyers. And I miss the exhaust note, It was so sweet in the '10. I turned heads everywhere. I found myself driving with the windows open just to hear it. It growled, Even the '13 M paled in comparison. Now it's fake. Just my 2 cents.

**Climbing off soap box
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 03:00 AM   #18
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

quit a few of us agree that the steering feel and respnse on F15/F16 is killed compared to E70/71..... exactly, just to attract the "mass".....mom's,pap's and others within this market range Becuase at the age of E70 many people that did drive RR, Cayene, Q7, MB all said BMW was too hard and stiff...... I wish they kept their mouth shut so BMW did not listen )))
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Those of you who are unsatisfied with the steering - I assume you all drive any of the adaptive chassies - the ones with rear air suspension etc.

I drove those too and the steering is very light and gives no feedback from the road, almost feels unsafe, like driving on ice at any time. This was in Comfort mode, while it felt better in sport mode, the car was on the other hand so shaky that it felt broken.

With the standard springed chassi however, the steering feels much much better. Muuuch better. I hade huges issues with the comfort of this chassi instead, but it seems to have sorted out after working on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep

ummm What????
      04-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Agreed, what?? I've had a standard suspension X5 35 loaner for a week before and I think the steering was way worse on that car... Everything firms up really nicely with DHP I must say.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #22
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

wasnt there a DME update to improve steering feel for earlier models? curious if those complaining had this update completed.
Appreciate 0