BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

My X5 was simply superb in the blizzard today!

A huge snowstorm engulfed Colorado today...even shutting down Denver international airport. I was doing some training at Peterson air force base, but I live 30 miles north at an elevation of 1300 ft above petersons. By the time we got an early release, it was basically blizzard conditions. Top winds were rated at 68 mph. At Peterson, it was mostly windy, but half way home I was stuck in enormous traffic jams with about ten feet of visibility from blowing snow. I should have turned around, but had no change of clothes, my glasses, and other essentials. So, I pressed....it was probably a stupid thing to do.

Turns out that the traffic jam was from multiple smaller cars stuck in the road...a flat road that had turned into a giant sheet of ice. They were literally stuck there. Any attempt to move was met with wild tire spinning. Some rear wheel drive trucks were spinning out too. My X5 didn't have the first issue...at all. And I have all season tires on it.

Once the highway got going, I realized they closed it on the route I needed to take home. Lots of folks were in my situation and I followed the train of cars into the back roads. Going through huge snowdrifts, over complete sheets of ice, and even covered in a gigantic mound of snow from a passing plow....never fazed the car. Very, very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5d M-Sport DHP

What tires/wheels are you on? I'm still in my e70 until my new f15 arrives. I have the 20s with Conti DWS tires and it was a bit dicey in a few places. I still managed to make it home though!
'03 Porsche 996 Turbo X50
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Tires are key... My wife's Toyota Sienna is amazing in the snow... But she also has Blizzak winter tires on....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Rim/tire combo is definitely everything. Even with how wide my winter setup is (staggered 20's), I've always been very impressed with the performance in the snow out of these Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice winter shoes. Glad you had a good experience with the X5 in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
eptrail
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive35i

Seriously? I'm up in Clear Creek County and headed into Evergreen after the blizzard ended around 4pm. The ten mile roundtrip was a fracking nightmare in my month old X5 with 19" 2015 Blizzak winter tires. Disabling DSC to give me more traction control where the snow was deeper didn't help the situation. Driving up and down Floyd Hill gave me heart palpitations. There was a metallic taste in my mouth for hours afterwards. I can't imagine venturing out during the height of that storm with all season tires. Kudos dude.
Appreciate 0