BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
jaackster6
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 X35i 2016

Tire Warrant from BMW (Lease)

Hey fellow X5 owners:

Wondering if anyone bought additional tire warranty or coverage offered by BMW at the time of their car pick up? Ofcourse its an arm/leg usually from dealerships.

I was at the dealership to check out our X5 as it was delivered- and going through the paperworks, they mentioned this package and I was a little thrown off as I was ready and prepared to just drive off and get a new set of wheels as advised by this forums that its the better way to go and not have the Runflats..

I was offered 2 packages totaling about $2300:
1) tire wear/replace for $1800 - and tires can be replace as many time during the 3 year lease - pretty much if theres a puncture, tire damage or even wheel scratch/dent/curb - take it to BMW and its replaced at no extra costs -

2) Dent/Scratch protection - where when i return the car, any scuffs/scratch/dents is covered at no charge.. i live in a decent neighborhood and not worried about it, but my commute on the road and the park lot at work (can't trust the person parking tooOo close to me opening their doors)

I figured it was an nice option to get that peace of mind where I don't need to spend additional 1200-3000 (my price range for new set of tires/wheels) and occasionally claiming "comprehensive claims" to my insurance to get random scratches/dings on the car for the 3 years of lease.. (i own a 2012 M3, and have minor scratches due to daily drive commute to work, and have done a few comprehensive claims to AAA and its roughly $500-1000 out of pocket, and atleast 3 set of tires ($3000) --

My friend is the fleet manager at the dealership, so we decided to not take the car home to give me sometime to figure this out and come back saturday to pick thoroughly go through the car and sign/take home...

sooOO.. wondering has any one here purchase this, is it worth it? help advise please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

That's a lot of money for the rim and tire package. I purchased the rim and tire package when I leased my X5 it was $900 from CNA. That includes 3 years of unlimited rim and tire replacements as needed. I also have the the M-Sport 20inch wheels. I would ask your dealer about CNA cause $1800 seems really steep.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5 35ixDrive E70

Hey there...
I have a E70 2013 Premium with 19" wheels!
I went through the same dilemma when I got the SUV, for peace of mind, "I went for it"!
It is a total waste of money if you have RFT's with 19" wheels or smaller! I am regretting the decision! If you have 20" wheels or larger, it might be different!
Sometime back I checked the tire prices and was shocked! The OEM Bridgestone RFT's 255/50 R19 were (when i checked) USD$225 a piece! I am never going to go through 6-7 brand new tires in the 3 years! Also, with OEM stock 19" rims, even if the tire rubs against the kerb, only the tire rubs against it, not the rim, atleast in my E70!
My car is not leased, so not sure about the dings etc. that our "babies" get in parking lots when it is time to return!
I have one small ding on my rear door. Some jerk parked too close and opened the door and hit it. Anyway, I took it to BMW and they advised me not to get it repaired as it would ruin my CarFax report, if (or when) I decided to sell the car.
I don't know how it works with a Leased car!
I can only say for myself, I will not get this warranty again. I might re-consider if I buy a "M" or any other with ultra low profile tires!
My OEM rims and tires are good for now (done 25,200 miles till date in 3.5 years), with no damage, no claims what-so-ever. For me, the USD$1500 that I spent 3.5 years back, went down the drain
      03-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I skipped it and always will..
Cost of tires to be replaced ( if ever needed ) will be far more cheaper and on a lease you are allowed certain amount of dents/dings/scratches to a certain size. I've never had to pay more than additional $300 for scratches... most were either negotiable or waived completely since I was leasing another BMW from them.

This is just another way for the dealership to add more $ales to their profit.
      03-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #5
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Any offer a dealer puts in front to purchase something just before you sign your docs is b/s because it is a sales pressure tactic. I think you also have 30d post doc signing to purchase insurance - did they mention that.

I pick up my car next week and asked them to send me all of the paper work ahead, including any add ons they want to sell me. The guy told me up front that the prices were very flexible - that is, all gravy for the dealer. Don't think I'll take anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #6
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

"Anyway, I took it to BMW and they advised me not to get it repaired as it would ruin my CarFax report, if (or when) I decided to sell the car."

This is a bit of news that I've never thought of before. Is this really the case that a ding removed results in a CarFax report?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Unless the the actual coverage has changed in the last two years, it isn't as simple as the marketing pamphlet makes it sound.

I had 3 bent wheels on my M3 and verified by the dealer. Because there was no visible impact site, they weren't covered. Also, cosmetic damage isn't covered either so a curbed wheel is on your own dime.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5 35ixDrive E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
"Anyway, I took it to BMW and they advised me not to get it repaired as it would ruin my CarFax report, if (or when) I decided to sell the car."

This is a bit of news that I've never thought of before. Is this really the case that a ding removed results in a CarFax report?
In my case they said they will replace the door (and hence will have to paint it too).

Now, if you go to buy a car and the carfax reports a replaced door/ ~USD1000+ repair job, will you trust the seller that it was "just a ding" that he/ she got repaired or will you think that the seller is "bullshi**ing you"!?! You decide!

Better to just leave it "as is" and let the new buyer decide if he/ she can live with the ding/ scratch or not
      04-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
citznfish
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport w/20" wheels

They tried to get us to buy this as well. When I said no, the finance guy couldn't believe it. He asked why i said no. My answer was simple. I've had run flats on my other car for ten years and never had a problem. No need for it now.

Cliffs: Don't waste your money.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by citznfish View Post
They tried to get us to buy this as well. When I said no, the finance guy couldn't believe it. He asked why i said no. My answer was simple. I've had run flats on my other car for ten years and never had a problem. No need for it now.

Cliffs: Don't waste your money.
I had the exact same response. The financial lady pulled out the additional warranties offered and I said no before even looking at them. She was taken back and was surprised I didn't get additional coverage. Then as she walked me over to my salesman again, she mentioned to him "They didn't want the tire warranty!"...and obviously the salesman was a bit let down
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
I skipped it and always will..
Cost of tires to be replaced ( if ever needed ) will be far more cheaper and on a lease you are allowed certain amount of dents/dings/scratches to a certain size. I've never had to pay more than additional $300 for scratches... most were either negotiable or waived completely since I was leasing another BMW from them.

This is just another way for the dealership to add more $ales to their profit.
Agreed .. Well said
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Besides why would you return a lease with new tires? So the dealer who's gonna CPO can avoid doing it?

Used tires depreciate incredibly and are great for lease return and even normal use in case of a puncture, rip, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 06:04 AM   #13
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Don't get suckered into it. I bought tire insurance on three of my previous cars (s4, 528 xdrive, and 550 xdrive msport) and the insurance companies came out way ahead. Even with 19 inch rims there were only two total tires replaced. Definitely not worth it in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
AW2015M3
BMWaddict4life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

It just takes one incident to make it worthwhile
If you are anal about your cars then I would recommend getting both
Tires get damaged easily and if you decide to run 21" rims you must get it
One trip to the grocery store may end up with a ding that may haunt you for weeks - just a matter of preference IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #15
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Wow ... you guys really must like to spend tons of your own $$ on RFTs for every bubble in the sidewall or road debris you pick up.

The BMW Tire & Rim warranty through SafeGuard is absolutely worth its weight in gold. Have it on my current 550 and will never get another BMW without it.

Cost = $1200 @ time of lease inception.

RFTs can not be patched, as the speed rating can not be upheld with a plug/patch. BMW always replaces RFTs and never patches/plugs. Asingle RFT on my 550 was $550 plus mounting & balancing. Every tire i have had replaced on my 550 was like $600 out the door with NJ tax ... only cost me $50 deductible + NJ tax instead every time

5 Rim Replacements & 13 tires over 2.5 years on the 550 only cost me $600 in deductibles and the initial $1200 policy. For $1800 I received over $9000 in value of the services received.

I guess it depends on the car and roads where you drive ... but on 19" low profile tires on the pothole ridden NY/NJ roads where I drive, swerving and driving as carefully as possible, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid hitting a really bad, unavoidable pothole like every other month it seems.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

It really depends. I had purchased it on two of my cars and on the 335i, I never used it. But on the X5, the 19" RFTs loved to pick up nails for whatever reason. In 3 years, I had about 6 tires replaced so I made ahead on that but overall still behind. On the M4 I decided to not buy it since I don't deal with potholes down in FL and it eats tires for breakfast.

RFTs can be patched if done by a reputable tire shop.

In the end it is insurance and BMW/the dealer has to make money on average. Option 1: I say find a reputable tire shop and give your hard earned money to them to patch your RFT tires OR

Option 2: switch out to non-RFTs and buy the road hazard package for those tires for like $40-70 a tire then switch back to the RFTs you've taken off near lease end. Don't expect your RFTs to last more than 40k miles if you don't make an effort to rotate them.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Wow ... you guys really must like to spend tons of your own $$ on RFTs for every bubble in the sidewall or road debris you pick up.

The BMW Tire & Rim warranty through SafeGuard is absolutely worth its weight in gold. Have it on my current 550 and will never get another BMW without it.

Cost = $1200 @ time of lease inception.

RFTs can not be patched, as the speed rating can not be upheld with a plug/patch. BMW always replaces RFTs and never patches/plugs. Asingle RFT on my 550 was $550 plus mounting & balancing. Every tire i have had replaced on my 550 was like $600 out the door with NJ tax ... only cost me $50 deductible + NJ tax instead every time

5 Rim Replacements & 13 tires over 2.5 years on the 550 only cost me $600 in deductibles and the initial $1200 policy. For $1800 I received over $9000 in value of the services received.

I guess it depends on the car and roads where you drive ... but on 19" low profile tires on the pothole ridden NY/NJ roads where I drive, swerving and driving as carefully as possible, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid hitting a really bad, unavoidable pothole like every other month it seems.
You make it sound like if we are positively going to damage tires and wheels. Believe it or not, but some people are luckier than others

19" are low profile? I'm riding on 20" with even lower profile and I have zero damage so far. My previous cars with similar setup had zero problems...