BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Payton3485
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 02' E46 M3 Vert / 16' X5 ///M

Driver Assistance Plus

I'm completing my build of my X5 50i M Sport edition and wanted to know if you all think the driver assistance plus with ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant is worth the add on. If it matters, I'm buying the car and am not leasing it. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
If you're in stop-start traffic, or slower traffic with varying speeds, absolutely.

This is the one option you can't get on the "M" models, and I miss it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Payton3485
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 02' E46 M3 Vert / 16' X5 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
If you're in stop-start traffic, or slower traffic with varying speeds, absolutely.

Thanks, alistairg!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
AnupT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post

Thanks, alistairg!
Get it if you drive more than 25% in city... Its fun and really usefull
2005 545i
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

It is a crutch, but a useful one making cruise control useful in today's busier highways. It also adds:

- Collision assist with pre collision braking even if ACC is not engaged. If it saves you once, it is worth it

- surround view camera, which is very useful in minding the curb or being very even between parking lines
      03-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
It's nice to have.

I'd have ordered it if I ordered a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

I have it on my F15 and had it on my F10. It's a must, if you ask me
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

It's magical. Takes a while to earn your trust but really nice for busy highway driving.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Any of our next vehicles will have it included in the build.
Definitely takes a bit of getting used to, wife still doesn't appreciate it.
      03-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Related question....

If you have Driver Assistance Plus (but not the ACC feature), will the car still brake automatically in emergency stopping situations? The description appears to imply that
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Related question....

If you have Driver Assistance Plus (but not the ACC feature), will the car still brake automatically in emergency stopping situations? The description appears to imply that
Most defiantly, NO.

Without ACC you only have the break assist feature which primes the breaks using the KAFAS only, not the radar. In doing so, the pads move closer to the rotor and the slightest touch will cause the break to grab quicker and more aggressively. As KAFAS is camera based, this feature is limited in speed and is for city driving. ACC operates (going from memory) at speeds up to 80-90 mph.
      03-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

snap shot from the survey results (over 200 entries) in my footnote re this feature:
      03-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Most defiantly, NO.

Without ACC you only have the break assist feature which primes the breaks using the KAFAS only, not the radar. In doing so, the pads move closer to the rotor and the slightest touch will cause the break to grab quicker and more aggressively. As KAFAS is camera based, this feature is limited in speed and is for city driving. ACC operates (going from memory) at speeds up to 80-90 mph.
The answer to that question is definitely YES. Drivers assistance plus includes what BMW calls city collision mitigation which is designed to handle low speed "city" breaking. With ACC you get what BMW calls collision mitigation which breaks from higher speeds. I believe that city collision mitigation only uses the KAFAS camera to determine when to brake. With ACC you get the combination of the KAFAS camera and the Radar from ACC. The IIHS tests collision mitigation system and I posted the score with DA+ and ACC. You can see that with ACC the scores are substantially higher.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
The answer to that question is definitely YES. Drivers assistance plus includes what BMW calls city collision mitigation which is designed to handle low speed "city" breaking. With ACC you get what BMW calls collision mitigation which breaks from higher speeds. I believe that city collision mitigation only uses the KAFAS camera to determine when to brake. With ACC you get the combination of the KAFAS camera and the Radar from ACC. The IIHS tests collision mitigation system and I posted the score with DA+ and ACC. You can see that with ACC the scores are substantially higher.
You are correct about applying the brake, and I am wrong about not braking. But, without ACC the car does not come to a complete stop when necessary. Without ACC, you reduce the collision speed, not avoid it. Furthermore, "City Braking" does not apply maximum brake, and as the name implies it operates at lower speeds.

From the manual for DA without ACC:

Collision warning with City Braking function

City Breaking
The system can help to prevent accidents. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system helps to reduce the collision speed.

The system issues a warning if there is imminent danger of a collision and if so brakes independently.

The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration.
The system is controlled via a camera in the base of the mirror.

The collision warning is available even if cruise control has been deactivated.
When the vehicle is intentionally brought close to a vehicle, the collision warning is delayed to avoid false warnings.

Up to approx. 35 mph/60 km/h a braking intervention occurs when appropriate.
UNQUOTE

From the manual with ACC:

Collision warning with braking function

The concept

The system issues a warning if there is imminent danger of a collision and also includes a braking function.

If the vehicle is equipped with Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, the collision warning is controlled via the cruise control radar sensor in conjunction with a camera.

When the vehicle is intentionally brought close to a vehicle, the collision warning is delayed to avoid false warnings.

General information
The system issues a two-phase warning of a possible danger of collision with vehicles at speeds above approx. 3 mph/5 km/h. The time of these warnings may vary depending on the current driving situation.

The braking intervention may be executed with maximum braking force and for a brief period only as necessary.

The intervention can bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

Above approx. 130 mph/210 km/h, the braking intervention occurs as a brief braking pressure. No automatic delay occurs.
UNQUOTE

From experience of having had two F15 X5s, one with and one without the ACC, I can tell you that I regularly see the one with ACC bringing the car to a complete stop from freeway speeds. It has on one occasion avoided a high speed accident where a car pulled in front of us from a side street. The X5 without the ACC...., I never had braking as the audio and HUD alert prompted my to brake on two occasions and both times, the car jolted as the brakes were primed, or perhaps slightly applied. It makes you look like a novice driver who has over applied the brakes.

Recap: if you want full braking, to a stop, operating at nearly all speeds, you need ACC. If you only care about city driving and accident risk reduction or reducing the impact of low speed collisions, you don't need ACC.

Last edited by MattBianco; 03-17-2016 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

ACC has been a godsend for my commute. As stated it also took me a while to trust it, but it works great. I wish I could get it on an X5M.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
You are correct applying the brake, and I am wrong about not braking. But, without ACC the car does not come to a complete stop when necessary. Without ACC, you reduce the collision speed, not avoid it. Furthermore, "City Braking" does not apply maximum brake, and as the name implies it operates at lower speeds.

From the manual for DA without ACC:

Collision warning with City Braking function

City Breaking
The system can help to prevent accidents. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system helps to reduce the collision speed.

The system issues a warning if there is imminent danger of a collision and if so brakes independently.

The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration.
The system is controlled via a camera in the base of the mirror.

Up to approx. 35 mph/60 km/h a braking intervention occurs when appropriate.
UNQUOTE

From the manual with ACC:

Collision warning with braking function

The concept

The system issues a warning if there is imminent danger of a collision and also includes a braking function.

If the vehicle is equipped with Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, the collision warning is controlled via the cruise control radar sensor in conjunction with a camera.

General information
The system issues a two-phase warning of a possible danger of collision with vehicles at speeds above approx. 3 mph/5 km/h. The time of these warnings may vary depending on the current driving situation.

The braking intervention may be executed with maximum braking force and for a brief period only as necessary.

The intervention can bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

Above approx. 130 mph/210 km/h, the braking intervention occurs as a brief braking pressure. No automatic delay occurs.
UNQUOTE

From experience of having had two F15 X5s, one with and one without the ACC, I can tell you that I regularly see the one with ACC bringing the car to a complete stop from freeway speeds. It has on one occasion avoided a high speed accident where a car pulled in front of us from a side street. The X5 without the ACC...., I never had braking as the audio and HUD alert prompted my to brake on two occasions and both times, the car jolted as the brakes were primed, or perhaps slightly applied. It makes you look like a novice driver who has over applied the brakes.

Recap: if you want full braking, to a stop, operating at nearly all speeds, you need ACC. If you only care about city driving and accident risk reduction or reducing the impact of low speed collisions, you don't need ACC.
^^^^^+1

Yesterday, on the highway at 55 mph, car I was following did NOT see stopped traffic ahead of the car they were following, they jumped on brakes at last second, the X was already buzzing and on the brakes before my intervention. Behind me vehicles were steering into the median or the #2 lane so as to avoid colliding with the vehicle they were following.

Not a fun feeling when you are looking at the traffic following behind you and the lead "driver" has their attention on something other than driving only to watch them careening right and left out of their lane so as to avoid the collision.

ACC paid for itself yesterday. I'm glad we have it! I'll make sure it's in future vehicles, if it's not already a standard feature.
      03-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #17
bluenote98
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
^^^^^+1

Yesterday, on the highway at 55 mph, car I was following did NOT see stopped traffic ahead of the car they were following, they jumped on brakes at last second, the X was already buzzing and on the brakes before my intervention. Behind me vehicles were steering into the median or the #2 lane so as to avoid colliding with the vehicle they were following.

Not a fun feeling when you are looking at the traffic following behind you and the lead "driver" has their attention on something other than driving only to watch them careening right and left out of their lane so as to avoid the collision.

ACC paid for itself yesterday. I'm glad we have it! I'll make sure it's in future vehicles, if it's not already a standard feature.
F15GorDe Glad to hear that you're ok and that this amazing technology saved you and the F15 from a lot of headaches.

MattBianco I think you and I have clarified the answer for everyone. I believe this technology will become as standard equipment on all vehicles within 2-5 years. The 2017 Toyota Highlander will include this technology as standard equipment. http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-...t-look-review/ We get the privilege of getting it early and paying for it.

Most dealers do not stock their 35i's and d's with ACC. I have observed that some dealers stock their 50i's with ACC. Bottom line, if you are ordering car or find one it stock car with this technology available get it.

Last edited by bluenote98; 03-18-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #18
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
^^^^^+1

I am pleased to read you avoided a collision and agree that the ACC technology is a worthwhile addition.

One concern that persists is that sudden stops initiated by ACC might increase the risk of some rear end collisions by vehicles behind you piloted by less attentive drivers that may not have similar collision avoidance technology and may have vehicles equipped with inferior brakes and tires. One possible advantage of steering out of the lane is that it may minimize the risk of such a rear end collision. Even when most vehicles have collision avoidance braking, those vehicles that brake in the shortest distances may face a risk of a rear end collision from a vehicle with longer stopping distances.

Some safety technologies actually appear to motivate some drivers to take more risks. Some drivers in cars with automatic braking might be inclined to tailgate more closely and more frequently with the expectation that collision avoidance will save them in the event of a sudden stop of the car ahead.

I am also mindful of the NHTSA study that found almost 10 percent of cars on the road had at least one bald tire. Particularly, when driving in snow with winter tires, I am typically more concerned when stopping that I will get hit from behind than hit the car ahead. ACC will not help avoid such collisions.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 03-18-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #19
bluenote98
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I am pleased to read you avoided a collision and agree that the ACC technology is a worthwhile addition.

One concern that persists is that sudden stops initiated by ACC might increase the risk of some rear end collisions by vehicles behind you piloted by less attentive drivers that may not have similar collision avoidance technology and may have vehicles equipped with inferior brakes and tires. One possible advantage of steering out of the lane is that it may minimize the risk of such a rear end collision. Even when most vehicles have collision avoidance braking, those vehicles that brake in the shortest distances may face a risk of a rear end collision from a vehicle with longer stopping distances.

Some safety technologies actually appear to motivate some drivers to take more risks. Some drivers in cars with automatic braking might be inclined to tailgate more closely and more frequently with the expectation that collision avoidance will save them in the event of a sudden stop of the car ahead.
All of your concerns are valid. Volvo has included the rear end mitigation in their current package with the XC90. I'm not exactly sure how it works but its definitely an issue. Eventually the cars are going to talk to each other to do as much mitigation of collision as possible. As it currently stands it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver to maintain control of the vehicle. It has been discussed that the manufacture is going to be responsible for incidents with autonomous vehicles. We're in kind of a limbo period with this what I call transition technology. I started using my ACC at the default 4 car lengths distance. I found myself creeping it up slowly to one. Even at one car length it is still travelling at what I feel is a safe distance. I'm not going to start tailgating just because my car will brake by itself. I agree with you that some drivers are going to adjust the way they drive because of the technology behind them. I feel this is a misake but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I've never driven one of these with ACC, so I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5 35ixDrive E70

Quote:
It is a crutch, but a useful one making cruise control useful in today's busier highways. It also adds:

- Collision assist with pre collision braking even if ACC is not engaged. If it saves you once, it is worth it

- surround view camera, which is very useful in minding the curb or being very even between parking lines
+1
I will get it in my next car, especially if i "buy" it and plan to keep it long term!
For me, the surround view (which i have in my E70) alone is well a must, after you get used to it
      03-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
I've never driven one of these with ACC, so I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing.
As already corrected above, ACC is not needed for preemptive braking during a possible collision. I don't have ACC but I have DA and DAP and several times I have had the car brake on its own before I was able to apply the brakes myself.