BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Driver Restraint System Malfunction

I started up my car today and within a few seconds, "Driver Restraint System Malfunction" error showed up on the instrument cluster and iDrive display. Instructs me to continue wearing the seatbelt and drive to the nearest service center. The driver side seat controls and heated/ventilated seat buttons don't work. Has anyone else seen this before?

I got this message a few months ago and it just went a way after a few days. So I used E-Sys to clear all DTCs and VO code ACSM but the error still persists. I will try to take it to the dealer later this week. However, in the mean time, do you guys suggest anything else? Car's been great for the past year, first issue I've experienced.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i

Last edited by GrabacrOne; 03-14-2016 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
mememagno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I have this problem twice in just one year. My F15 from 2015 with 35K miles. Getting sick of BMW...and all the electronic problems which dealership doesn't know how to fix (except reinstalling the whole software). BTW: My warranty expired last month (3 years)...so I don't know what I should be expecting from cost perspective. Summary: Time to move to a more reliable car...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
bogdiniciu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Garage List
2020 M2 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
I started up my car today and within a few seconds, "Driver Restraint System Malfunction" error showed up on the instrument cluster and iDrive display. Instructs me to continue wearing the seatbelt and drive to the nearest service center. The driver side seat controls and heated/ventilated seat buttons don't work. Has anyone else seen this before?

I got this message a few months ago and it just went a way after a few days. So I used E-Sys to clear all DTCs and VO code ACSM but the error still persists. I will try to take it to the dealer later this week. However, in the mean time, do you guys suggest anything else? Car's been great for the past year, first issue I've experienced.

Hi BMWMacht. Have you solved the issue? It just happened to me today while driving.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
X3MBullet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post

I had this happened to me. It could be many things. I would have it diagnosed first to see what code is throwing. With mine it was a cable that comes out of the battery and has a safety feature in case of an accident where it will explode and cut the power to the entire car. That cable needed to be replaced. It was mainly the part. The replacement labor was easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdiniciu View Post
Hi BMWMacht. Have you solved the issue? It just happened to me today while driving.

Thanks
Yes, my car had a malfunctioning driver's seat mat sensor which couldn't properly get the weight and seating position of the occupant. As a result, it could not properly arm the airbags so it disabled the driver's airbags and kept throwing an error.

The dealer ended up replacing the seat mat sensor under warranty and the issue never returned. Nothing was spilled and rain water didn't enter the seat (I had the ventilated seats) so I'm not sure what caused the issue.

But like F15Bullet said, it could be a number of things in the safety system that could cause the issue.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
There are ways to get the codes for SRS. Not sure exactly in the X5 as I've never tried but I know even in my fiancée '02 Honda Accord to read the codes specifically for SRS I had to put a paper clip on two of the wires of the OBD port and the dash board seat belt light would flash a certain number of times to tell me it was the passenger seat belt housing that went bad.

Weird but ya. Also Honda interestingly enough covered all SRS parts and labor for the life of the vehicle. Thought that was kinda cool.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0