BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
taken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive50i

A little tire advice if you would...

Vehicle lands at the dealer in a week or so. I plan to pull the RFT's and craigslist them. So, I have been researching replacements. Down to a forum favorite, the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. Very similar customer satisfaction ratings on Tire Rack. Winter performance not a concern as I have a set of new BMW take off wheels en route and a set of Nokian Hakka R2 SUV winters on order to handle winter duty. So, of the two options I mentioned above, any advice or preferences you all would care to share? Any pure summer tires that have our XL rating that would be even better? Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
      03-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I like the Conti DWS06; perhaps you can get the dealer to install them and "trade-in" the stock tires? Would save you ton of trouble with CL.

Also if you don't have already, I would definitely get a spare since you are going non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Anybody buy falkens?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...rue&vid=029103
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I like the Conti DWS06; perhaps you can get the dealer to install them and "trade-in" the stock tires? Would save you ton of trouble with CL.

Also if you don't have already, I would definitely get a spare since you are going non-RFT.
I ordered the car with the spare knowing I was going to dump the RFT's so no issue there. I agree on the ease of a dealer trade and tried to work with my dealer on the idea but they were way too cool for school to go that route. (Dealer would have sold one and possible two sets of tires doing this.) They dismissively told me, "That's not something they do..." No big deal really. CL is easy around here. Even well worn tires sell well in my area.
      03-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
In all my reading of threads on this, I haven't seen them mentioned. That doesn't mean no one has. Perhaps just not a popular choice? I think I'm locked in on going with the Nokian zLine SUV summers. tiresbyweb.com has them at $220 each including shipping. https://www.nokiantires.com/tire-sel...suv-4x4-tyres/

03-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I hated the Scorpiam Verde. +1 for the Nokian of you don't need all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
I hated the Scorpiam Verde. +1 for the Nokian of you don't need all seasons.
I've read pretty much the same on all the RFT OE options. Not sure which my car will come with but they are going one way or the other. I'm thinking I can recover 1/2 or so of their retail value on CL. I'm excited to have both dedicated winter and summer tires for the new car....
      03-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
fooit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d w/Mpkg

Did you order the car with 20" rims?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
taken
Private
Rep

No. 19's squared summer and 18's winter.
      03-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
fooit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
No. 19's squared summer and 18's winter.
Why do you plan to get rid of RFT tires?
AFAIK, the main reason people are switching to non-RFT tires is because they cannot get all-seasons in 20" RFT and they don't want to bother with 2 sets of tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooit View Post
Why do you plan to get rid of RFT tires?
AFAIK, the main reason people are switching to non-RFT tires is because they cannot get all-seasons in 20" RFT and they don't want to bother with 2 sets of tires.
I too was wondering why the plan is to dump the RFT tires? Especially if you have 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
taken
Private
Rep

You guys are kidding right? LOL. RFT offer a much rougher ride, wear much quicker, and are much noisier. There is no positive to them whatsoever other than to give BMW marketing something to sell the suit and skirt crowd as a way to keep their precious manicured fingers clean instead of swapping on a proper spare. I wouldn't run them on a go cart.
      03-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
fooit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You guys are kidding right? LOL. RFT offer a much rougher ride, wear much quicker, and are much noisier. There is no positive to them whatsoever other than to give BMW marketing something to sell the suit and skirt crowd as a way to keep their precious manicured fingers clean instead of swapping on a proper spare. I wouldn't run them on a go cart.
Well, I guess we are kidding - you've ordered V8 4.4L beast that will give 10-12 mpg in a city and you pair it with 18 and 19" wheels to save on tires?

Rough ride and noise I cannot address - I think this is subjective and personal, I like the handling on 20" RFT and M-sport suspension, noise I cannot hear with the music playing from HK sound system.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
taken
Private
Rep

Not kidding at all. I didn't pick 19's to save on anything brother. I ordered EXACTLY as I wanted and paid cash for my car but nice try. As to subjective, search is your friend. You won't find one post from anyone who switched from RFT's to standard tires and wasn't blown away by the difference in ride quality.

Last edited by taken; 03-13-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
BMWSRT
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken
Not kidding at all. I didn't pick 19's to save on anything brother. I ordered EXACTLY as I wanted and paid cash for my car but nice try. As to subjective, search is your friend. You won't find one post from anyone who switched from RFT's to standard tires and wasn't blown away by the difference in ride quality.
I always switch from non-run flats to run flats on my performance SUV's. They handle turns much better than non run flats. Non run flats are quieter and smoother but feel squishy when putting the SUV to its limits while cornering.....it all depends on what your own personal preferences are for with your ride......
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #16
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSRT View Post
I always switch from non-run flats to run flats on my performance SUV's. They handle turns much better than non run flats. Non run flats are quieter and smoother but feel squishy when putting the SUV to its limits while cornering.....it all depends on what your own personal preferences are for with your ride......
So, you're the one. I knew I'd find you one day. But wait, you drive an X5. It comes with run flats. How did you change from non run flats to run flats on a car that comes with run flats?

Anyways, since this has derailed we can all just move on. I really only wanted to see if anyone had experience with the specific tires I asked about in the OP. I certainly wasn't looking for a debate on RFT vs. NRFT. So have a great weekend all. I'm good as I've made my decision on my summer tires...
      03-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
Johnhanson
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSRT View Post
So, you're the one. I knew I'd find you one day. But wait, you drive an X5. It comes with run flats. How did you change from non run flats to run flats on a car that comes with run flats?

Anyways, since this has derailed we can all just move on. I really only wanted to see if anyone had experience with the specific tires I asked about in the OP. I certainly wasn't looking for a debate on RFT vs. NRFT. So have a great weekend all. I'm good as I've made my decision on my summer tires...
Not the only one. Hated the RFT on my '12 X6....they are amazing on the '15 X5. Great wear so far (2 years) no noise and very good balance of comfort and performance.

What you are finding is the squeaky wheels getting the grease. Some people whine loudly, the vast majority sit back and are content as it is a non-issue. My current OEMs have had zero problems plus I have peace of mind (I had a "flat" on my winters 150km from the nearest city in -30 weather. That experience alone would be worth any trade off). Current RFTs are engineered very well.

On my RS5? I would never. On a 5000 lb heavily insulated SUV? Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #18
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
+ exactly
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #19
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhanson View Post
Not the only one. Hated the RFT on my '12 X6....they are amazing on the '15 X5. Great wear so far (2 years) no noise and very good balance of comfort and performance.

What you are finding is the squeaky wheels getting the grease. Some people whine loudly, the vast majority sit back and are content as it is a non-issue. My current OEMs have had zero problems plus I have peace of mind (I had a "flat" on my winters 150km from the nearest city in -30 weather. That experience alone would be worth any trade off). Current RFTs are engineered very well.

I beg to differ. The vast majority don't bother to change them out so they have no point of reference and therefor have no idea what they are missing. Ignorance is bliss as it were. Are current RFTs better than previous generations? Sure. Does our heavy SUV help the situation further? Sure. Is the ride vastly improved by removing them from a current generation X5? Absolutely. Have you tried non RFTs on your X5? It certainly sounds like you have not. And if you haven't, then you really can't comment from a position of knowledge whatsoever.
      03-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #20
Johnhanson
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:

I beg to differ. The vast majority don't bother to change them out so they have no point of reference and therefor have no idea what they are missing. Ignorance is bliss as it were. Are current RFTs better than previous generations? Sure. Does our heavy SUV help the situation further? Sure. Is the ride vastly improved by removing them from a current generation X5? Absolutely. Have you tried non RFTs on your X5? It certainly sounds like you have not. And if you haven't, then you really can't comment from a position of knowledge whatsoever.
Actually, I did switch from OEM run flats to non-runflat on my first tire change for the summer tires on the old car. I wasn't willing to go away from run flats for winter. What I did find was minimal difference in ride comfort and handling, but I did in fact find worse treadwear with the non-runflat on the X6. While I wouldn't say it was a softer ride, it certainly felt squishier, likely due to more sidewall flex. Sorry to confuse you, you seem like a really nice guy, welcome to the BMW boards.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #21
taken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I did switch from OEM run flats to non-runflat on my first tire change for the summer tires on the old car. I wasn't willing to go away from run flats for winter. What I did find was minimal difference in ride comfort and handling, but I did in fact find worse treadwear with the non-runflat on the X6. While I wouldn't say it was a softer ride, it certainly felt squishier, likely due to more sidewall flex. Sorry to confuse you, you seem like a really nice guy, welcome to the BMW boards.
So, lets try a run on sentence to follow your convoluted apples to oranges logic. You're comparing an X6 to an X5, talking about a vehicle that you admittedly hated run flats on, and saying that's why you want run flats on an X5 even though you've never tried it without? LMAO. I think the only one confused is you.... Thanks for the welcome though.
      03-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #22
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
I have the factory 19" OEM MSport wheels and was thinking of one size larger and non RFT's. What do you think?
Appreciate 0