BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

Ride quality - any comments

Hi all,

I know this is subjective, but I still wanted to get a sense from the owners about the ride quality of their X5.

The test drive does not give an accurate picture, since its not the same road that you will be driving it on most of the time.

I test drove the MB GLE350 the other day and found it to be a comfortable ride specially over uneven roads.
does the X5 absorb bumps well so you don't feel the road imperfections etc.

I know the tire size will probably matter too, the test drive car had 19" and i guess that what I will get too, if I go with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I test drove a 2014 Xline with 19" wheels with standard suspension prior to ordering.. The ride is completely different with my 2015 Msport with 20" wheels and Adaptive M suspension that I ordered in a good way for me. I dislike the bouncy boat feel of SUV's and prefer a stiffer sportier ride of a sport sedan and I get that with my X5.
      12-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Car is currently on 19s RFTs and it's a super comfortable ride. Can't comment on 20s, although I've heard the ride is still pretty nice.
      12-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

I know this is subjective, but I still wanted to get a sense from the owners about the ride quality of their X5.

The test drive does not give an accurate picture, since its not the same road that you will be driving it on most of the time.

I test drove the MB GLE350 the other day and found it to be a comfortable ride specially over uneven roads.

I know the tire size will probably matter too, the test drive car had 19" and i guess that what I will get too, if I go with the X5.
I have a 2014 ML and 2015 X5. There is little difference in ride quality.

The F15 has been tuned to be much more comfortable compared to the E70 because the buyer for that vehicle segment demands it. I almost didn't consider the F15 because the E70's ride was far too harsh for my wants.

I previously had a sports sedan with sports suspension and I grew tired of it after a few years. It was a fun car but I now value a more compliant ride and was willing to give up better handling and road feel. It's all a give and take.

If you choose to go with the ML/GLE feel free to ask me any questions about my opinions on option must haves.

Both cars are excellent so it is a matter of preference with regards to aesthetics and price.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Previous post is spot on. Next gen much better than E70, but they are still no Range Rover Sport in wafting along. However, then go around corners and bends much better and have superior performance. On the autobahn last night and the diesel RR couldn't have done the speed i was at and also it would have felt too loose at that speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I love it on mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

Thanks for the responses, glad to hear that owners are happy with the ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

Ride quality in comfort mode is nice for wafting around it's nice and smooth with alittle bit of bounce but when in sport it firms up and handles like a go kart I love it
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
I highly recommend the dynamic damper + rear axle air suspension option. Gives you the best of both worlds. Adjustable between smooth compliant ride (comfort setting) and firm and responsive (sport setting). If you are considering M sport, this would be the adaptive M suspension option.

If your budget allows for it, Dynamic Handling Package offers the above suspension adjustments plus active roll stabilization and torque vectoring so your 3000+lb SAV handles like a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I have standard suspension and thought the ride was a bit harsh with the stock run flat tires. My previous cars were 2 Lexus GX 470's and Infinit JX. I swapped out the run flats with non-run flat continental LX20's and the difference was significant. The ride quality improved dramatically and the road noise was also reduced.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

I drove the F15 luxury line for 2 years with regular suspension...absolutely perfect. I have ordered the 2VM (Comfort Dynamic Suspension) on the 2016.
I will post a comparison once I have taken delivery and had the chance to test it.
To be honest, I'm always against paying extra for marginal differences...but I've heard good things about it...(i.e. B&O, LED's,...are a few of those marginally better options that are not necessary in my book)
However if it turns out to be another "good but not necessary option" I will definitely reflect it (I sincerely hope that wouldn't become the case!)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #12
gemmalyly
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda

a

The only thing that could have been better is if there were more room in the saddle, but overall it was a great bike. nerdle
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #13
vitola321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5

I personally would go for a model with better suspension if possible or budget to upgrade this one. I came from a full sized Range Rover and find this car wafting and rocking and easily influenced by road grade and cross winds etc and leans way too much on corners.Passengers often feel nauseous. Seems rear sway bar and shock replacements help, I question the toe in specs personally. I'm contemplating fixing this and trying to fix transmission shift points (towing package doesn't seem to change shift patterns)or going back to a full size Range Rover but they are double the price on used market. Funny, f15 x5 is same width but lower and lighter and suspension design seems OK
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 01:54 AM   #14
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitola321 View Post
I personally would go for a model with better suspension if possible or budget to upgrade this one. I came from a full sized Range Rover and find this car wafting and rocking and easily influenced by road grade and cross winds etc and leans way too much on corners.Passengers often feel nauseous. Seems rear sway bar and shock replacements help, I question the toe in specs personally. I'm contemplating fixing this and trying to fix transmission shift points (towing package doesn't seem to change shift patterns)or going back to a full size Range Rover but they are double the price on used market. Funny, f15 x5 is same width but lower and lighter and suspension design seems OK
How many miles on your car?
Appreciate 0