BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Yet another oil change/gauge question

I know this has been beaten to death but please bear with me, looking for some quick inputs here lads.

When buying my car at 11k miles the oil show max. Had it changed twice since with the same result - max gauge.

Changing oil at another dealer today, car comes back with oil meter at half. Yes know half is OK, but I still like it to sit at max, I'm not looking for a discussion on this point (and in fact it took for ages before I had a reading which was never the case before).

The spec says they added the 8.8 liter. The question for you guys who have the specific experience is; Exactly how much oil do you need to fill to end up at max?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I know this has been beaten to death but please bear with me, looking for some quick inputs here lads.

When buying my car at 11k miles the oil show max. Had it changed twice since with the same result - max gauge.

Changing oil at another dealer today, car comes back with oil meter at half. Yes know half is OK, but I still like it to sit at max, I'm not looking for a discussion on this point (and in fact it took for ages before I had a reading which was never the case before).

The spec says they added the 8.8 liter. The question for you guys who have the specific experience is; Exactly how much oil do you need to fill to end up at max?

Many thanks!
Nik , when your oil filter was changed sometimes it's a little more than 8.8 liters .
Personal I would add only 1/2 liter to avoid overfill , and after just go for another oil reading and look what your new oil level is .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Nik , when your oil filter was changed sometimes it's a little more than 8.8 liters .
Personal I would add only 1/2 liter to avoid overfill , and after just go for another oil reading and look what your new oil level is .
Hey Philippe,

I'm not planning to add anything myself at this point but if possible get a more exact number on what the max capacity is and based on this go back for a chat with the dealer.
I know for sure they will start argue half is fine, but again bugs me these guys can't do the same job as the previous guys did. Than again, this one is a "certified M dealer", go figure...

Cheers mate
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
My last oil change (completely draining the oil filter canister) I started with 8.5 liters at first fill, added a quarter liter that first day, then another quarter liter a few days later. So a total of 9 liters and it has been showing consistently at full for months.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Hey Philippe,

I'm not planning to add anything myself at this point but if possible get a more exact number on what the max capacity is and based on this go back for a chat with the dealer.
I know for sure they will start argue half is fine, but again bugs me these guys can't do the same job as the previous guys did. Than again, this one is a "certified M dealer", go figure...

Cheers mate
Yes when my BMW/Dealer changed my oil and oil filter it's about 8.8 liter.
But after each oil change they go for a test drive with my car and look in the mean while the oil reader and after they topped it off to about 90% full .
They add about 1/2 liter to get the 90% .
But overfill is worse !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
My last oil change (completely draining the oil filter canister) I started with 8.5 liters at first fill, added a quarter liter that first day, then another quarter liter a few days later. So a total of 9 liters and it has been showing consistently at full for months.
Thanks Beemdog, and you empty the canister with a pump (which I assume the dealer doesn't so a little bit less here then)? Okay, so 9 liters it is. Guess they didn't fill quite all 8.8l as canister remainings would have done the job.

I'll have a chat with these guys tomorrow. I'm a customer from hell already since they messed up my DCT but not my fault.

Cheers

Edit: btw Beemdog, do you remember where the gauge started at 8.5 liter mate?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes when my BMW/Dealer changed my oil and oil filter it's about 8.8 liter.
But after each oil change they go for a test drive with my car and look in the mean while the oil reader and after they topped it off to about 90% full .
They add about 1/2 liter to get the 90% .
But overfill is worse !
Cheers Phil for another good input. I wasn't keen on the guys to go test drive as previous two garages have sorted max fill without driving around in between. I figured the largest dealer in town would as well but there you go.

Thanks

Ps. Guess you wonder why Im using them, only to collect the compensation from the DCT round...
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ps. Guess you wonder why Im using them, only to collect the compensation from the DCT round...
Now that dealer is going to top off your engine with DCT fluid!

If I recall, 8.5 liters got me to the middle mark on the oil gauge at first fill & drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

how do you know the dealer completely drained the oil? There's always a theory about residual oil in the lines and etc that contributes to the overall system level, so even if Beemdog say 9, it's all a crap shoot based on really how much was drained out in your two respective cars.

Best way is to just have Beemdog change your oil next time, then he can get you to max without an overfill.

Just my 2 ₯
      09-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Best way is to just have Beemdog change your oil next time, then he can get you to max without an overfill.

Just my 2 ₯
It's a long drive from Sweden to my place; Helmsman might need a oil change or two to get here...

In general it's a good idea to start with a conservative slight underfill and then add a bit of that golden elixir to taste. Saves all the hassle/waste of pulling excess oil back out. As many have pointed out-- anywhere on the digital gauge that results in an "OK" is fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
It's a long drive from Sweden to my place; Helmsman might need a oil change or two to get here...

In general it's a good idea to start with a conservative slight underfill and then add a bit of that golden elixir to taste. Saves all the hassle/waste of pulling excess oil back out. As many have pointed out-- anywhere on the digital gauge that results in an "OK" is fine.
Haha, wouldn't mind coming over visiting but yes a bit of a trick to bring the car!

Anyhow went to the dealer this morning who quite willingly gave me a liter Edge TWS for me to top up, nice of them. I'll go really careful as suggested but will get that gauge to max. Cause I like it that way.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog
I just changed my oil (full drain and emptied oil filter housing) and added 8.5L. After warm up I got the add +1L message. Added 500ml for a total of 9L and I sit at half. Won't add anymore until I get the +1L message.

My last oil change was done at the dealer and they put in exactly 8.8L and I sat at MAX. Not sure if they emptied the oil filter housing but would like to think they did as there is a lot of dirty oil in there!!

I've read a lot on this forum about how much oil to add and it all varies between 8.5L and 9.5L. I guess it all depends on how the drain is done and how sensitive the electronic dipstick is... IMO, if you end up anywhere in the MIN to MAX range, you're ok. And if you're uncomfortable with not being at max, make sure you have room to add at least 500ml (halfway mark) since the electronic dipstick won't register a change if you add less for some reason... Having said that, AT ALL COSTS, never overfill! You're better sitting at MIN than overfilling by 1ml. Overfilling will cause frothing which will cause oil starvation... Very bad stuff...
      09-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Another good input to go careful - thanks JFB
Appreciate 0