BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

09-27-2015, 02:45 AM   #1
Horbo
Rep
Drives: M3

Help please

Hi guys, i have 2009 m3 53 k miles, just have it for 3 months.
A week ago, when im pulling to stop, i had no power steering, and batterry lite came on prior to that, like about 50 feet at the next lite, heard a screech and that when i parked the car. Got it towed, and found the deflactor pulley was leaning toward the oil line, but no leak.
Tonite, a week after the car sat in garage,with no oil leak at all,i replaced the pulley (deflactor), and belts...and i ran my finger tru the oil lines, smooth, no apparent leak. Turn the engine,after refilling half qt, n while engine running, oil drips all over the floor, i turn off engine immediately. Mopped off the floor, might be even 5 qt of dirty oil i caught. What happened? Belt was whole n intact when the pulley seized, n i have no idea what to look for now... Please help......
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
No apparent leak with 5 quarts on the floor?? Hmmm, you need to check it with a bright light while someone starts the car. Couldn't miss that big of a leak! Sounds like a blown oil cooler line to me...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Horbo
Rep

Thanks for the input man. Is it possible. I mean, i did the pulley jobs, and yes the dflector pulley was already leaning on 1 of the oil lines, and i think it grinded it before i actually stoped the car fully and had it towed/flatbed...but no apparent oil leak for the whole week car sit in garage.
Only after i put everything back,the leak happened as the engine running. Anyway i can check?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Horbo
Rep

Im soory, just woke up when reading it first time, oil cooler lines. Is that 2 hose that is from the oil filter housing.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Horbo
Rep

im too slow learner, now it definetely is..1 is return n 1 is going rite? is it possible it cravked really hair thin but cushing oil when engine runs due to pressure? i hope this is it the problem...nothing else...hehe...pls folks...any opinion?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Ok, a couple of things. Please don't cross post the same issue in other sub-forums.

Second, the reason you're likely not getting responses is that this is so easy you should be able to find the leak in a few seconds. Since you can't, you're not likely going to have the skills to fix it so it's not worth posting a response. I'm not trying to be cruel, but if it puts 5 quarts of oil on the floor, it's a big leak. Bigger than any leak I've seen on a BMW that doesn't have a hole in the engine someplace...

You need to get the car (towed) to a shop.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
Horbo
Rep

got it sir!!! a simple "yes the line might be hair thin or not phisically visible by eyeballing but i can stil leak"....as u said no other hole in the enginr that might ve done it..(thank u, im hoping this is the case)..,
and y i posted twice on different subforum...? well i thought i mightve posted it on wrong one...!!ok sir, wont happen again
tow it to the shop? sorry, like to know what happen as much as possible first...only make $12/hr...yeap...sum of us really living n still tryin to live up their dream....but hey, like u said, it should be easy...so i m going ti start with replacing the line first. thank u much.
Appreciate 0