BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Closed Thread

09-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

Newly developed DCT Cooler solution & install+Results

Hi,
Thought I would share this and progress to date. Firstly, 100% dedicated DCT track car for the last 2 years. I am also running a 3.62 triple ramp diff. While this is fantastic- and it is - the car obviously shifts more often rattling thru the gears, equals more transmission heat. This is already an issue on hot days for anyone doing solid lap times occasionally causing our cars to go into limp mode...

I had been looking for while at others CSF, Gintani pan, SSP pan etc. none of the data/feedback convinced me and the volume increases seemed modest.

I then stumbled upon this from do88.SE in sweden! Check them out.
http://www.do88.se/
shipped it works out at about $1000, way cheaper than the M24 cooler and also has larger core/volume.
It checked the boxes in what i was looking for before me going custom or adding another one. They also have a lot of cooler experience from other makes, Porsche, Volvo, Saab, VW etc. Their correspondence on e mail was immediate and they answered all my Q's.
Here's the best part. Paid the paypal invoice Tuesday night. it was at my door via UPS Friday morning. Bimmerworld take note...

Quality is amazing. Package was excellent. instructions with photos were easier than a Lego beach buggy. Fitment was 100%. The creative part is how they just solved the additional size by making and including a larger intake shroud that frames the entire cooler but looks OEM from the front. It vents by some simple slits in the wheel liner (TBH, I'm not even sure if thats really needed- but as it is a track car, I have no issues and wouldn't have had an issue cutting them in when it was a dual duty car either).

As you see, my existing cooler was pretty beat up. I also took the opportunity to change out the suction filter, new pan and gasket, and new fluid- about 5.5 quarts total, including the bigger cooler. there were zero deposits in the suction filter ( i cut it up to look) and only a small amount of fine iron-based paste stuck to the magnet. totally normal. Will send to Blackstone anyway and report back here.

As you see I am running a DCT thermostat linked to gauges, same for water and Diff. DCT has been hitting 230-235 and going into limp... Water is up at 275. none of which is good for a happy and long life...
i will post my before and after temps when I download from Aim, same for the water and oil.
I was so impressed with their customer service, quality and shipping, I ordered their radiator and oil cooler and a set of nice E9X M3 silicon hoses. comes with ALL lines for the car, not just top and bottom radiator. Shipping again was 3 days from Sweden to west coast. They also do a nice PS cooler which i wish i had now done while in there... winter project.

While in there, I also changed out Water pump and Thermostat as preventative.

I have another 2 weeks to my next track day and plan to share data and experiences then.

I'm hoping with these dramatically increased volumes in the DCT, Rad and Oil cooler, I can finish my sessions and of course prolong the life of this amazing car and platform. It's great to see creative companies expanding into this generation of m3.

More pics, data and commentary from the track...

Cheers, Mark

Okay, So here are my findings after 1 full track day and one afternoon only day. Both at different tracks. The Ridge Motorsports Park in WA and Portland Int Raceway, OR. As you see this event with Cantrell brings out some serious cars and drivers. Great group. This E92 set-up cuts through this fast group really well. I was looking out for the Cup Car but we didn’t find each other As a side, I have to say the 991 GT3- and there were at least 8 there that day- is impressively quick out of the slow last corner onto the big straight. I would say they form a 200 meter gap by the end of the straight into the breaking zone. Only to be closed by turn the time I got to exit turn 2
My ridge times are about 2 seconds off best- tires were shot. PIR was within .5 sec off best after a tire change, unfortunately not sticker tyres… but with about 10 heat cycles, so still within good life.
Firstly. Zero leaks! First 2 sessions were easy runs and tests after so many coolant/ oil changes and line changes etc.
Secondly. Fantastic cooling results from all three coolers!!! Granted, the outside temps were not as high ( by only 2C) as earlier in the year, but pretty close on some.
I have to say the most impressive being the DCT cooler- which was my biggest problem to solve previously for anything more than 15 mins on a 60F+ warm day. As there is no direct AIM data for this, we will have to go off the temp gauges connected to the DCT drain plug sensor. Previously, I would witness 230F for the Trans as the gauges turned red- soon after that the shifting would slow and then I’d get the dash trans warning and limp mode . On all runs at both tracks I had no slow shifting and no Trans warnings. I did not see the gauge read above 190F on track and as the image shows it was down to 180F as I came into pit lane. Problem solved with this much bigger cooler. Can’t say enough about how happy I am. This is a winner. Kudos to Do88 for their innovative development. The combo of twice as much air to surface area cooling, custom air scoop/intake and half a liter or so more fluid is a game changer for any heavily/dedicated tracked E9X M3. You will easily get through your sessions and of course prevent potentially long term high temp stress on the tranny/fluid life.
Diff. As you see, I also monitor the temp here via a temp sensor linked to the Mocal diff pump and heat exchanger. The 3.62 diff gets some serious action back there and I don’t want to replace that anytime soon. Of course, as I mentioned in the original post- this diff adds to the number of shifts and therefore tranny temp increases. The fact that this DCT cooler solved and coped with that too is fantastic.
Water: If you look at the charts from the Ridge. The first, in May at 24C (75F) had my highest water at 100C (212F). Last week on 10/3, at a slightly lower 22C (71F), the water was at a far better 94 (201F). Yes, combo of slightly lower ambient temp and lap time- but ultimately a welcome difference. Gauge temp back in pit lane I also noticed the recovery/cooling rate was faster.
Oil. Again, similar to Water, you can see better results. In May at 24C/75F the oil was at 129C/264 max, in October it was 22/71 outside and maxed at 120C/248F.

For me, I had two goals: 1. Go to the track to enjoy finishing each session without irritating ‘mechanical’/ over-heating issues. It takes a lot of prep time and time away from family and work to do this all for 5-6 sessions. To have that disrupted has sucked. 2. Avoid increased costs replacing major components. Preventative is a good thing. This car only has a balls-out life at 8,300 rpm… A little bit of love in upgrade goes a long way.

Next, is the DO88 PS cooler which I also bought later but had no time to install. Winter project…along with full cage, carbon doors, paint job and some go-faster decals.

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Images

DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.

Last edited by NRBRNG; 10-15-2015 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: change
Appreciate 4
PHM314.50
      09-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Excellent work, thanks for sharing. Who in Oregon did the work, if you don't mind me asking? TIA

Edit: Is that your garage? If so, it is sublime. Also, I am now realizing you likely did the work since this is DIY. FML.

Last edited by buddalun; 09-15-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Great write up! How much was the engine oil cooler and how did you order it? I don't see it listed for our cars on their site...
      09-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
nice find keep us updated
      09-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Excellent work, thanks for sharing. Who in Oregon did the work, if you don't mind me asking? TIA

Edit: Is that your garage? If so, it is sublime. Also, I am now realizing you likely did the work since this is DIY. FML.
Thanks, yes it is my place. makes life way easier!
if you are looking for a place in Oregon, use AR Auto Service in Lake Oswego. they cater to track folks and enthusiasts alike. They know the E9X very well.
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
Great write up! How much was the engine oil cooler and how did you order it? I don't see it listed for our cars on their site...
Oil cooler was about $720 I believe. Great quality and volume. Yes, It's showing now. Just e mail them, they are really responsive. i think I am going to go for the PS cooler it looks really good size.

Last edited by NRBRNG; 09-16-2015 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: change
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks for sharing, awesome write up! And great to know that there is a nicely sorted solution for any potential DCT cooling problems I may have.
      09-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Nice find! It will be interesting to see how the temps change.

Last edited by PrimeBMW; 09-16-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #9
do88
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Hello gentlemen!

We are glad to see you have found your way to us. We are a relatively small company, based and routed in Nykvarn, Sweden. Starting off in 2007 selling universal silicone hoses, we have grown step by step. Being Swedes, we have put a ot of effort in Saab and Volvo over the years, but off course our interest and ambitions are wider than that. Today we have 150 various silicone hose kits, and counting. Model adapted intercoolers, oil coolers and so on.

This range for the BMW M3 E9X is probably the project that has taken the most time to develop in the history of do88. We have performed continous and repeated tests to verify that our theories work just as good in practice, as on paper. Using in-house 3D scanning, CFD analysis and flow bench verifying, the step from development to production is never far and we can easily change, modify, rethink and revise our products. We consider our relative smallness as a strength.

I saw a question about not seeing the products on the website. A slight mistake was made and is now corrected. All the articles for the M3 are at display here: http://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/hose-...e90/index.html

And Mark, we have a shipment leaving Nykvarn today.

Regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 3
      09-17-2015, 02:49 AM   #10
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Saw do88 products a few weeks ago for the first time online. They looked great.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by do88 View Post
Hello gentlemen!

We are glad to see you have found your way to us. We are a relatively small company, based and routed in Nykvarn, Sweden. Starting off in 2007 selling universal silicone hoses, we have grown step by step. Being Swedes, we have put a ot of effort in Saab and Volvo over the years, but off course our interest and ambitions are wider than that. Today we have 150 various silicone hose kits, and counting. Model adapted intercoolers, oil coolers and so on.

This range for the BMW M3 E9X is probably the project that has taken the most time to develop in the history of do88. We have performed continous and repeated tests to verify that our theories work just as good in practice, as on paper. Using in-house 3D scanning, CFD analysis and flow bench verifying, the step from development to production is never far and we can easily change, modify, rethink and revise our products. We consider our relative smallness as a strength.

I saw a question about not seeing the products on the website. A slight mistake was made and is now corrected. All the articles for the M3 are at display here: http://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/hose-...e90/index.html

Regards
Isak, do88.
It's always nice to hear of well-sorted products that you didn't know about before, thanks for the development effort here and I hope you'll see some more sales now.

I'm taking my new-to-me e92 m3 to the track for the first time soon and will be in touch when I decide to upgrade the cooling.
      09-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by do88 View Post
Hello gentlemen!

Regards
Isak, do88.
Excellent! I have the power steering cooler en route and will report to all the findings here.
I have gone through one PS pump already, numerous engine cleans due to overspill/ blow back (as many others have), so given the size of this thing I am sure my problems will be behind me...I will post a separate one for the PS cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Lone Star M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Thank You for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRBRNG View Post
Hi,
Thought I would share this and progress to date. Firstly, 100% dedicated DCT track car for the last 2 years. I am also running a 3.62 triple ramp diff. While this is fantastic- and it is - the car obviously shifts more often rattling thru the gears, equals more transmission heat. This is already an issue on hot days for anyone doing solid lap times occasionally causing our cars to go into limp mode...

I had been looking for while at others CSF, Gintani pan, SSP pan etc. none of the data/feedback convinced me and the volume increases seemed modest.

I then stumbled upon this from do88.SE in sweden! Check them out.
http://www.do88.se/
shipped it works out at about $1000, way cheaper than the M24 cooler and also has larger core/volume.
It checked the boxes in what i was looking for before me going custom or adding another one. They also have a lot of cooler experience from other makes, Porsche, Volvo, Saab, VW etc. Their correspondence on e mail was immediate and they answered all my Q's.
Here's the best part. Paid the paypal invoice Tuesday night. it was at my door via UPS Friday morning. Bimmerworld take note...

Quality is amazing. Package was excellent. instructions with photos were easier than a Lego beach buggy. Fitment was 100%. The creative part is how they just solved the additional size by making and including a larger intake shroud that frames the entire cooler but looks OEM from the front. It vents by some simple slits in the wheel liner (TBH, I'm not even sure if thats really needed- but as it is a track car, I have no issues and wouldn't have had an issue cutting them in when it was a dual duty car either).

As you see, my existing cooler was pretty beat up. I also took the opportunity to change out the suction filter, new pan and gasket, and new fluid- about 5.5 quarts total, including the bigger cooler. there were zero deposits in the suction filter ( i cut it up to look) and only a small amount of fine iron-based paste stuck to the magnet. totally normal. Will send to Blackstone anyway and report back here.

As you see I am running a DCT thermostat linked to gauges, same for water and Diff. DCT has been hitting 230-235 and going into limp... Water is up at 275. none of which is good for a happy and long life...
i will post my before and after temps when I download from Aim, same for the water and oil.
I was so impressed with their customer service, quality and shipping, I ordered their radiator and oil cooler and a set of nice E9X M3 silicon hoses. comes with ALL lines for the car, not just top and bottom radiator. Shipping again was 3 days from Sweden to west coast. They also do a nice PS cooler which i wish i had now done while in there... winter project.

While in there, I also changed out Water pump and Thermostat as preventative.

I have another 2 weeks to my next track day and plan to share data and experiences then.

I'm hoping with these dramatically increased volumes in the DCT, Rad and Oil cooler, I can finish my sessions and of course prolong the life of this amazing car and platform. It's great to see creative companies expanding into this generation of m3.

More pics, data and commentary from the track...

Cheers, Mark
I've got to stop by and see the new garage, lift and well the cooling kits! I'll bring the beer!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Amazing thread. Products look good, company seems responsive, and your garage is gorgeous.

Looking forward to your feedback, OP.

Also, do88, any chance you guys might offer a package deal for the oil cooler, DCT cooler, radiator, PS cooler, and silicone hoses?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:12 AM   #16
do88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Amazing thread. Products look good, company seems responsive, and your garage is gorgeous.

Looking forward to your feedback, OP.

Also, do88, any chance you guys might offer a package deal for the oil cooler, DCT cooler, radiator, PS cooler, and silicone hoses?
Hello!

The pricing and arrangement of a "full package" will be aired soon on our website. We will let you know when this is set and clear. Thank you for the shown interest!

Best regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #17
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I emailed them twice and still haven't heard back.... Hopefully its due to demand
      09-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What lift is that mark? I have the ezcarlift but only goes to 26 inches I think. Yours seems nice and high.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:13 AM   #19
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

awesome~!!

How can you install DCT oil temperature sensor?

where can I purchase plug in pic?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #20
do88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
I emailed them twice and still haven't heard back.... Hopefully its due to demand
Hello!

We are very sorry but we haven´t received anything. Checked our spam-filters twice as well. I´ll shoot you a PM here and we can sort things out!

Regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #21
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
What lift is that mark? I have the ezcarlift but only goes to 26 inches I think. Yours seems nice and high.
Hi Chris,
it's a flush mounted Bendpack scissor lift (model Spk7 or something). Raises 72 inches I believe. Been great. Really easy.
Hoping to do Ridge with Cantrell on 3rd...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #22
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
awesome~!!

How can you install DCT oil temperature sensor?

where can I purchase plug in pic?
Yes, temp gauge.. I called it a thermostat. Duh. It's a drilled plug with temp sensor. My shop guy did these and connected to gauge cluster in dash.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread