BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

07-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
delorean696969
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Thumbs up Royal Purple 0W40 - Blackstone Report

As a follow up to changing my oil with RP 0W40, here are the results after running it for approximately 8k miles. I recently changed to Redline Oil, so we shall see how it does on my next change. For reference, this is a 2011 with 76k miles and original bearings.

Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Not the first excellent UOA I've seen with RP stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I don't think it really makes a big difference between these oils in terms of oil analysis.

I think Redline is head and shoulders above Royal Purple. Royal Purple doesn't use the high quality esters that Redline does for their base. Royal Purple is all marketing.
      07-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't think it really makes a big difference between these oils in terms of oil analysis.

I think Redline is head and shoulders above Royal Purple. Royal Purple doesn't use the high quality esters that Redline does for their base. Royal Purple is all marketing.
Redline could be a better oil, but OP's result is hard to beat or improve upon (I do want to see all zeros on an UOA report). After you compare the price on Amazon.com between the two brands, I find it hard to spend extra for Redline when the difference is probably negligible at best.

Redline 0W40 12qt $155.40
RP 0W40 12 qt $100.32
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Redline could be a better oil, but OP's result is hard to beat or improve upon (I do want to see all zeros on an UOA report). After you compare the price on Amazon.com between the two brands, I find it hard to spend extra for Redline when the difference is probably negligible at best.

RP 0W40 12 qt $100.32
I'd rather run Mobil 1 0w40 over RP 0w40. Much better oil with lots of research and development behind it. Nothing can beat Mobil 1 in terms of quality for the price.
      07-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
delorean696969
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

RP 0W40 12 qt $100.32
I would agree and it will be interesting to see how the Redline compares on my next oil analysis. As of now, there seems to be no difference in performance in exception that the redline oil runs minimally hotter and takes longer to warm up. Also, it did feel like the RP revved smoother than the current Redline oil; but if it is, the difference is negligible. However, I did go with 5w40 for the redline oil; so that may explain the differences. The proof will be in the oil analysis.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Doing 5w40 Motul oil for my next oil change here in about 1k, really curious to see how it does especially coming from 10w60.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

FYI

5W40 X-Cess does not contain any ester (it's more PAO based like M1 0W40), which is what Motul oil is famously known for, on the other hand, 0W40 X-Max is at least 25-50% ester.

Some would say ester oil "clings" to metal surfaces better, and is less prone to shear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Doing 5w40 Motul oil for my next oil change here in about 1k, really curious to see how it does especially coming from 10w60.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Figured id try the xcess 5w40 first, did not want to go to a 0w40 really. 300V POWER 5W40 is great stuff and my give it a try after some more research using racing oil on daily driver, prob need to do more like 3k oil changes with it.

Ill do a blackstone report before and after, have not seen any for motul so more curious than anything.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Figured id try the xcess 5w40 first, did not want to go to a 0w40 really. 300V POWER 5W40 is great stuff and my give it a try after some more research using racing oil on daily driver, prob need to do more like 3k oil changes with it.

Ill do a blackstone report before and after, have not seen any for motul so more curious than anything.
I personally never did a UOA on my tuned 335i while running Motul 300V 5w40. But i remember before deciding to use that on my Daily Driver/summer track car (no more than 4-5 events per year though), i googled some 300V UOA and all of them seems rather decent with great additive packages and longevity. I never go beyond 6-7k miles OCI. 3k OCI might be a bit excessive and the 300V comes at a premium...

Never used it in the M3 personally. Let us know your results!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:

Quote:
I'd rather run Mobil 1 0w40 over RP 0w40. Much better oil with lots of research and development behind it. Nothing can beat Mobil 1 in terms of quality for the price.

These statements are based on factual evidence or opinion? If you can prove Redline is superior to RP please enlighten everyone. Stating that it's not good without any additional info is just silly and helps no one.

I have run Royal Purple diff/trans fluid in all my M3 and my 911 turbo (where a trans build costs @ $ 10,000) and I have never had any issues. They are not marketing as much as they used to either. The oils have changed formulation in later years also I believe. The RP is very good. It's also now being used exclusively in the Rallycross cars and those cars take a beating.

I believe any oils are great as long as they are changed frequently. The RP is good stuff and no reason to think otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
These statements are based on factual evidence or opinion? If you can prove Redline is superior to RP please enlighten everyone. Stating that it's not good without any additional info is just silly and helps no one.

I have run Royal Purple diff/trans fluid in all my M3 and my 911 turbo (where a trans build costs @ $ 10,000) and I have never had any issues. They are not marketing as much as they used to either. The oils have changed formulation in later years also I believe. The RP is very good. It's also now being used exclusively in the Rallycross cars and those cars take a beating.

I believe any oils are great as long as they are changed frequently. The RP is good stuff and no reason to think otherwise.
Your experience may vary but coming from the 4G63 market and having owned multiple Evos, it is generally avoided by the tuners building high power cars. Reports of people blowing engines on RP is available if you google for it. Also, oil analysis reports also show that they are nothing special compared to other off the shelf synthetics.

Their marketing and false labeling also leaves a lot to be desired. BP successfully sued Royal Purple on their marketing which is deceptive and is false.

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_...PM&uid=bdgDHkp

Quote:
Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

By George Gill

Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it to task over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding a receptive audience in the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum.

The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus recommended Porter, Texas-based Royal Purple modify or discontinue numerous advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, following a challenge by Wayne, N.J.-based BP Lubricants. The NAD examined comparative performance and superiority claims in print, broadcast and Internet advertising. In some of the advertising, Royal Purple compared its performance to Castrol, Shell, Amsoil and other motor oil brands.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumer testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

“Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat,” the organization stated. “While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.”

NAD recommended Royal Purple discontinue claims such as “Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3 percent,” “Reduces Engine Wear by 80 percent,” “Superior Oxidation Stability” and “Provides Film Strength Up to 400 Percent.”

“If industry-standard tests or tests with carefully documented controls were abandoned, there would be no basis whatsoever for making any meaningful claims about the relative efficacy of motor oils,” BP said in its challenge.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue claims that stated, “Improves fuel economy by as much as 5 percent” and “Fuel economy improvement up to 5 percent or more” because its Environmental Protection Agency testing was inconclusive and the “Oklahoma State Study” and single cylinder Labeco CLR diesel engine testing cited in Royal Purple’s advertising was not relevant. The NAD noted the 1997 OSU Study was “outdated and nothing in the record demonstrated that the formulations of the competitors’ oils were similar to those available for sale on the market today.”

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” NAD stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, “Reduces emissions up to 20 percent or more” and “Reductions in emissions of 20 percent or more” because the studies on which the claims were based were outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked Service Symbol, or ‘donut,’ for display on qualified engine oils, and also licenses the ILSAC ‘starburst’ logo for oils that meet the auto industry’s latest energy-conserving standards. In API’s online directory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Program, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engine oil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of these may additionally display the words ‘energy conserving’ within the donut logo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to the current ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburst logo.

Royal Purple also voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims, “most advanced,” “unsurpassed performance” and “unparalleled performance,” steps the NAD said were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in the marketplace.

“While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,” the company said in its response to NAD. “... [Royal Purple] has already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

BP Lubricants did not return phone calls from Lube Report requesting comment on NAD’s decision.
      08-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Your experience may vary but coming from the 4G63 market and having owned multiple Evos, it is generally avoided by the tuners building high power cars. Reports of people blowing engines on RP is available if you google for it. Also, oil analysis reports also show that they are nothing special compared to other off the shelf synthetics.

Their marketing and false labeling also leaves a lot to be desired. BP successfully sued Royal Purple on their marketing which is deceptive and is false.

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_...PM&uid=bdgDHkp

I have owned many 4g63 cars and also had one of the first Evo ix tuned by Sean Ivey that was running lowwwww 12.1xx with exhaust, MBC and a K&N filter. I had a built Evo 8 as well.

I was very into DSM cars also and have built some pretty fast 4g63 cars. That being said, I wouldn't compare them to anything. If anything else, they have made me paranoid about blowing cars up as most people who have been into those cars have broken lots of them. The 4g is an amazing motor but those cars do break.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
delorean696969
Enlisted Member
Rep

So...... just for clarification, I do not have an affinity for RP. I've just used it in the past with my Audi TT and Honda S2000 and it provided better fuel economy and what seemed like better engine response at least for the first 1k miles... after that threshold, it acted and felt like any other oil. I'm currently 2k in with Redline oil and thus far it has been forgettable since the first week after the change... hope that clarifies
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #15
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Seriously guys, when is this TWS v M1 v RP v Motul v Redline v Shell v LM going to stop? Just like the bearing saga, oil argument is ever growing, and will last as long as a S65 is running. By the way, have I missed any other that's being used in S65? There are a couple of brands like Nulon and Penrite in Australia and I know some cars are running the brands' 10w-60.
      08-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

The RP 5w40 is far more interesting as it's one of the only remaining oils with their Synerlec additive (sulfurized ester).
      08-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
The RP 5w40 is far more interesting as it's one of the only remaining oils with their Synerlec additive (sulfurized ester).
RP API licensed 0W40 also contains some ester according to the MSDS, I could be wrong though, I assume hydrogenated Dec-1-ene is a form of ester. In this case, it shows up in both the 5W40 and 0W40.

What are you running now Dan?

Last edited by Leonardo629; 08-11-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
RP API licensed 0W40 also contains some ester according to the MSDS, I could be wrong though, I assume hydrogenated Dec-1-ene is a form of ester. In this case, it shows up in both the 5W40 and 0W40.

What are you running now Dan?

According to RP's tech guys, the only oil containing Synerlec is the 5w40. I haven't talked to them for a while so it's possible they adjusted formulations and are back to using it in the 0w40.

hydrogenated Dec-1-ene is a polymer, you are correct.

My car still has TWS pumping through it. It'll get a change in the spring and at that time I'll just use the dealer's new Shell/Pennzoil "TwinPower" 10w60.