BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Self-levelling lights

I recently had to pull both my headlights out to re seal them and change one ballast. Now, everything is beautifully back together and it all works as advertised. Until last night.

It was probably the first time I was driving at night since I did this maintenance about a week and a half ago and it seemed to my headlights were not lighting the road far enough ahead. It almost seemed they were angles too low.

Now I thought my headlights were self-levelling, and from that I took they levelled themselves properly to the correct angle to shine light the proper distance.

Could I have turned a knob snow here by accident which would have changed the angle of the headlights? If so, which one and how do I readjust it again?

Thanks.
      06-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
park in front of a garage/wall. turn the car on and, if i am remembering correctly, you should be able to see the headlight adjust.
      06-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
There are two factors at play here. One is the mechanical aim and the other is a the self-leveling mechanism which attaches to the front suspension and consists of a control rod, link, and electrical sensor.

This post talks about the mechanical aim adjustment (includes a .pdf detailing the aiming procedure):
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=10
Appreciate 1