BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

E9x M3 quirks and intermittent issues

One thing I have noticed in my 8 months of owning my M3, is that there is no shortage of typical intermittent issues, or quirks if you will, i.e. a symptom of a potential problem that will appear all of a sudden, and disappear just as suddenly. So far, in my 8 months of ownership, here is what I have experienced:

1. Erratic idle/stalling issue at random times (usually after filling up). I do know the cause of this issue, but haven't gotten around to fixing it, and it has been quite some time since it has happened, so I am not too concerned

2. iDrive screen has gone red when I started the vehicle, and after turning the vehicle off, and restarting a couple times, has gone back to normal. This happened just once

3. There was one time a couple months ago where I stopped at the store and came out 10 mins later to an M3 that wouldn't start. Starter continued to crank for 5 seconds until I pressed the start button to stop the engine from turning over, and then tried it again, and it started just fine. Never had that happen more than just that one time

4. A month or so ago my driver side front door was failing to unlock with the rest of the vehicle. All other doors unlocked just fine, but nothing except opening the door by the inside door handle caused the driver door to unlock. I tried to start, then restart the car a few times on my way home, and it still did it. I drove home, pulled in the garage, turned the car off, then back on, and it was fine. Never happened again.

5. Just recently (still not sure if this is a little intermittent issue that will fix itself, or if there is actually something wrong) my iPod no longer plays through the iDrive. This happened yesterday. I never use CD's, and rarely if ever use the radio. 99% of the time I use my iPod connected to the USB port in the center console and just leave it plugged in, unless I use my iPod for PT, in which case I unplug it, then immediately plug it back in after getting back in my car. It will let me navigate the menu, but when I click a song to play it, it just says "Info" and nothing pops up on the submenu on the right. No audio, time stamp stays at 0:00. Song never plays. Then after a minute or so, it will back out of the iPod menu and go back to the "Media" menu and show that the iPod is unchecked, i.e. not activated. I tried a different iPod cable, same thing. I have not yet tried a different iPod. That is my next step.

So what say M3F? Anyone ever have any similar, intermittent issues or quirks with your M3? Anything happen that I didn't cover?

If anyone has any input on the last one, I am a bit annoyed. I don't speak German, and German radio sucks anyway, and AFN is a joke. I can't deal without my iPod.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
david1504
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG ZCP m3

Last week when I started the car it showed 'no warning tones' and the speaks didn't work at all, no sound whatsoever, but after I got back home and started it up later everything is fine, happened only once
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

#5 just became an "intermittent issue". Went outside after resetting my iPod and with a different iPod to try and see if my second iPod works. Tried that first, and it worked fine. Tried the one that was giving me issues, and it worked again. Not sure if it is because I reset it or if it was just an issue with the car that fixed itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1504 View Post
Last week when I started the car it showed 'no warning tones' and the speaks didn't work at all, no sound whatsoever, but after I got back home and started it up later everything is fine, happened only once
I've had this happen before when my previous BMW's, the issue seems to be German.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
electrical gremlins

I had some of the same electrical glitches after installing a pair of cheap BMS angel eye bulbs in my E90. I had gauge needles shivering, drivers door would not lock, and what seemed like power surges in the interior lights. Someone told me to put the OEM angel eyes back in and everything returned to normal. I was surprised that something so simple could cause that. Have you 'upgraded' anything electrical lately?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
I had some of the same electrical glitches after installing a pair of cheap BMS angel eye bulbs in my E90. I had gauge needles shivering, drivers door would not lock, and what seemed like power surges in the interior lights. Someone told me to put the OEM angel eyes back in and everything returned to normal. I was surprised that something so simple could cause that. Have you 'upgraded' anything electrical lately?
Rather than control everything with hard-wired relays, these days a digital CAN bus (like LAN for your car) controls many of the electrical functions all over the car. Lights being one of them. If the non-OEM device is hooked up to the CAN bus and is not properly designed, it can create digital glitches and noise on the CAN bus, disturbing virtually anything else on that communications bus and resulting in all kinds of havoc as you observed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

this happens to me sometimes as well but only with my ipod classic. never have a problem with my ipod nano or iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
5. Just recently (still not sure if this is a little intermittent issue that will fix itself, or if there is actually something wrong) my iPod no longer plays through the iDrive. This happened yesterday. I never use CD's, and rarely if ever use the radio. 99% of the time I use my iPod connected to the USB port in the center console and just leave it plugged in, unless I use my iPod for PT, in which case I unplug it, then immediately plug it back in after getting back in my car. It will let me navigate the menu, but when I click a song to play it, it just says "Info" and nothing pops up on the submenu on the right. No audio, time stamp stays at 0:00. Song never plays. Then after a minute or so, it will back out of the iPod menu and go back to the "Media" menu and show that the iPod is unchecked, i.e. not activated. I tried a different iPod cable, same thing. I have not yet tried a different iPod. That is my next step.

Instagram: @jonji_pas
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
uisim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Had a restraint malfunction once when it was very cold so I attributed that to a weak battery. Another dbc/dsc failure light when I adjusted the steering column height when moving in reverse. Both went away and never came back.( fingers crossed). Also my dome light turns off if I leave it on for too long with the car running... with all the digital electronics in this car I figure some glitches occur. Yours are a bit more severe but if it happens all the time that's when I would take it to a good shop that works on these cars. But sometimes you'd have to wait till its always going on so that a shop can replicate it. You don't want it to come to the classic "well... let's replace _____(insert component here) and see it it fixes the problem" scenario.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
flynscot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/E90/F80 (sold) F82 now

Just had #1 happen. Filled up a usual place, drove 1 mile and stopped at a light. Engine surged +/- 500 rpm for no apparent reason. Drove away from the light and stopped at work a few miles away and no surge. ????
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

in my 2 years of e90 M3 ownership, I've become a beast at resetting codes *while* driving
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
BLuRRYM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black e92 M3

Mine is CEL comes on for excessive exhaust if I just do short drives. But once I do a 20+ mile drive, CEL goes away. I guess it's just her complaining that I don't take her anywhere fun anymore.

I just bought Akra delete, X pipe, and exhaust; so that problem is going away.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
This is definitely a quirky car. I have actually experienced the cranking like you described, just a couple months ago. Ran in to a store for a drink, 5 minutes later came back to start it, and it just cranked until I hit the start button again. Was very strange, and has only done it that one time since I've owned it.

I have also experienced the idle issues after filling up. Seems to be very common in these cars. I notice that it's much worse after completely topping off the tank. If I let it idle for a couple minutes at a light immediately after filling up, the idle bounces around a couple times, and it has actually died on me. I have seen that a couple times. ('11 E90 w/37k miles).

And I would have to agree with the iPod issues as well. I have experienced a few times where the car doesn't even connect to my phone (I have an old iPhone 4S).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
joneffingvo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG Coupe

Have you guys checked/replaced your car battery? As strange as it sounds after i got my ESS VT2-625 supercharger installed i noticed the car idled weird and would die out sometimes at cold start i also noticed my iDrive would take longer to boot up. Then one day my battery finally died and i got a brand new one + programmed by BMW and voila all those problems were gone! Car idles and runs smooth as butter and iDrive is super snappy when firing up the car.
      12-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Fatbillybob
Rep
Drives: e90

I still have trouble with brake pad sensors. I can't turn the dash brake fault light even if I hard wire the brake sensor wires together.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #15
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

When the wipers are on and you are stopped at a red light you can feel the movement of the wipers through the brake pedal. I have had 3-E90 M3's and they have all done this.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 06:51 AM   #16
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

once i go from blue tooth to usb back to blue tooth all hell breaks loose and i need to reconnect my iphone.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #17
Elwolfe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 LMB, 6MT

Garage List
2013 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have owned my 2013 E93 for less than a month now, and this is my only irritation so far. I plug my iPhone (5S, AT&T version) into the USB port next to the AUX port in the center console and it will do one of three things..

1. Works fine, cover art displays etc...
2. Plays music, but no play list, song info or cover art.
3. Says "not connected".

I've tried plugging it in after engine start, with the car on but prior to ignition and while it's completely turned off and there doesn't appear to be any correlation.

I'm going to take it in for an oil change in about 500 miles, so I'll ask the dealership to take a look at it. I'll report back with the results...

Would love to know if anyone has had and fixed this issue. Sooooo frustrating. Other than this, she works like a peach. (Knocking on wood so as not to jinx myself )
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle M3 View Post
When the wipers are on and you are stopped at a red light you can feel the movement of the wipers through the brake pedal. I have had 3-E90 M3's and they have all done this.
It may sound crazy but I wonder if this is linked to the car 'pad wiping' in wet weather to improve emergency braking. I would imagine it is linked the the wipers as a trigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Come to the car and the comfort access doesn't work, in fact, trying to open the door sets off the car alarm AND opens the door... while the door is still locked.

Place the key in the slot, alarm doesn't shut off. After fumbling around for about 2 minutes, car alarm shuts off, comfort access works again, and door stays locked when locked. Clock and trip mileage is reset though. Bizzare. Battery doesn't seem to be dying.

Has happened to me twice in two years, both incidents spread many months apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwolfe
Quote:
I have owned my 2013 E93 for less than a month now, and this is my only irritation so far. I plug my iPhone (5S, AT&T version) into the USB port next to the AUX port in the center console and it will do one of three things..

1. Works fine, cover art displays etc...
2. Plays music, but no play list, song info or cover art.
3. Says "not connected".

I've tried plugging it in after engine start, with the car on but prior to ignition and while it's completely turned off and there doesn't appear to be any correlation.

I'm going to take it in for an oil change in about 500 miles, so I'll ask the dealership to take a look at it. I'll report back with the results...

Would love to know if anyone has had and fixed this issue. Sooooo frustrating. Other than this, she works like a peach. (Knocking on wood so as not to jinx myself )
I wonder if it has to do with it connecting via Bluetooth instead of USB.

Sometimes for Bluetooth audio for me, I have to turn the BT off then back on for my phone then deselect it in iDrive to get it back.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #21
Elwolfe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 LMB, 6MT

Garage List
2013 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I wonder if it has to do with it connecting via Bluetooth instead of USB.

Sometimes for Bluetooth audio for me, I have to turn the BT off then back on for my phone then deselect it in iDrive to get it back.
Tested this today by removing my phone from the bluetooth list all together. Still said not connected....

Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #22
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

On my 335 I once was able to run the car without the key in the ignition. I'd accidentally pressed the starter when I meant to eject the fob, then while it was starting I ejected the key as I originally intended.
The car continued to start and run with the key in my hand. I didn't go for a full drive just in case but moved around in the parking space for a bit

I don't have any of the issues above except the dodgy idle on a full tank and a cic reboot and black screen of death once fixed under warranty. but could you have battery issues as these cars are sensitive?
Appreciate 0