BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Delete

Delete

Last edited by Yoddha; 03-02-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Rule number one:

Don't freak out, the rest is all about if it's just in your head or really an upcoming mechanical issue.
No matter what, keep calm and await further instruction's by our knowledged forum member's, specially our Belgian ///MWhisperer!

Even if it would be an rod bearing issue, with or without warranty left you'd still have a billion cheaper opportunities then an engine swap to get your beauty, back and healthy on the road again, so just keep cool and enjoy life

Finger's crossed brother!

Last edited by vsix; 05-23-2015 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

You should stop driving the car and inspect your rod bearings immediately. Although I hope I am wrong, these ticking noise are not normal at all.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Thanks man, luckily I have warranty, so I will get it checked by a dealership. Hopefully they don't try to tell me that "nothing is wrong". Thanks for the support.
Good to know...Mr. super-dupuh-lucky-guy

The man I was talking about will clarify wether your unlucky or lucky!
Take his word's serious and use it as evidence and tell that the dealer upfront, let them know that you went public...and none of them will even think of to refuse or deny to repair an allready in public clarified and discussed mechanical issue
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Your welcome brother!!!
Right now it's 7:30 A.M at his place, just be a little patient and he will get back at you, don't worry!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

To me it sounds like the start of a bearing issue.

If the stealership refuses to check/replace the bearing make sure you get them to put it in writing. Also, since you are still under warranty I would drive the car hard so it will fail under warranty!!

Good luck!
      05-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #7
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would record more videos where you can hear that ticking sound...you can clearly hear the rattling after @0:27

When you take it in tell them you've noticed a ticking sound that sounds a lot like rod bearing. They should put that on the work order they give back to you, if not make them (evidence in case the engine fails after warranty).

If you are mechanically inclined do the spark plug test (disable one of them at a time) to see which cylinder/rod is causing the clicking noise.
      05-24-2015, 02:27 AM   #8
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The only other thing I can think of is to do an oil test to see if aluminum levels are high.

Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, worst case you get a new engine with warranty.

Keep us posted.
      05-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Before the predictions of imminent engine failure...I did google this particular random ticking noise yesterday and there are a few videos around - I don't think any of them ended up being rod bearing failure.
From a physics point of view if that tapping noise was being made by the upper rod bearing hitting the crankshaft then those parts would be toast within a few miles.
It would be interesting to know if it occurs all the time, or at a particular oil temp, how old the oil is and the level.
I do occasionally get this random ticking especially when the oil is very hot - I first noticed it a couple of years ago but miraculously my engine still hasn't self destructed! Not to say that yours won't but its no certainty.

This is an E46 M3 that has a badly worn bearing and an oil filter full of copper particles.
Before engine strip down.
Notice how quiet it is despite a heavily worn bearing on the brink of failure.
You will very rarely get advanced warning of bearing failure the energy (heat) and loads involved are all way too high for continued engine running for any significant length of time.
I would get your dealer to listen to the noise to be on the safe side though.

Now back to the usual program of doom and gloom.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 05-24-2015 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Tend to agree with SFP, this doesn't sound like what Ive heard previously that turned out being RB fail but maybe different tick at an initial stage before it "opens up".

Let Mr Belgium listen in and see what he says, but obviously also carefully file your observations with your dealer and insurance company.

Good luck OP!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

A) Right from the start of the video there is what sounds like a "dragging" metalic noise. Could very well be just the recording, but my motor doesn't do this.

B) The random noise as you accelerate sounds just like the clips of other folks who had RB issues.

C) Luckily you are under warranty. One way or another, this issue will be resolved. I don't see how the dealership can claim a random noise like that is normal.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Hey guys, I noticed a ticking noise at low rpm on acceleration, so I pulled the car into the garage and recorded a clip of me pressing the gas from idle to 3,000 RPM. The engine oil is at normal operating temperature, and the car is fully warmed up as it just came back from a drive. I know it is hard to hear over the engine noise but you can here very little ticks across the RPM range, and they get more frequent as I get closer to 3,000 RPM. Can any of you guys tell me what this could be? It only seems to be getting worse. The car is a 2013 with 21,000 miles. Please turn the volume up on the video so you can clearly hear the noise. The acceleration starts at 0:14. Thank you in advance for all your feedback and help.

Just saw your thread...
You have the slight ticking noise !
Strange thing is...
It's the first time that I hear that your ticking noise is "not" synchronous..rhythmic with the rpm's of your S65 .
It's more like....Ticking noises....than nothing... while rpm's are raising...than again ticking noises !
But you are right about that they get more frequent as you get closer to 3,000 RPM's !
But it's for sure that it sounds metallic , so probably it's bad news for you.
On a positive note...It's very slight (let's call your case the 1ste degree) but personal I would take no risks at all !

Advice...
Don't start your car again , try to push it on a trailer to your BMW/Dealer to avoid further damage !
BTW...And to be honest..While I listened to your video I thought...Oh boy , no.. not you my friend .

Conclusion...
I heard hundreds of videos of bearing failures maybe even more and for people from all over the world, some 20-30 times and yours is the first time it's not synchronous with your rpm's .
But I'm 100% sure that your ticking noise is "NOT" normal !
But I'm feeling really truly sorry for the bad news that I brought to you .
But at least...now your are warned my friend....And "forewarned is forearmed" .
Please keep posted , and let me know or PM me .
Sorry bud...

Edit :
Show your video at your BMW/Dealer and put them a head phone on , it makes the ticking noises very clear !
Damn you BMW !!!

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 05-24-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Rule number one:

Don't freak out, the rest is all about if it's just in your head or really an upcoming mechanical issue.
No matter what, keep calm and await further instruction's by our knowledged forum member's, specially our Belgian ///MWhisperer!

Even if it would be an rod bearing issue, with or without warranty left you'd still have a billion cheaper opportunities then an engine swap to get your beauty, back and healthy on the road again, so just keep cool and enjoy life

Finger's crossed brother!
Thank you for calling me the "///M Whisperer" , think I really like that !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Inclined to agree with the Belgian: arrhythmic clacking is a big red flag.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

And people still try to argue this kind of stuff only affects 0.00001% of cars...please. Hope that were wrong but I would rather be safe than sorry and get it checked out. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
And people still try to argue this kind of stuff only affects 0.00001% of cars...please. Hope that were wrong but I would rather be safe than sorry and get it checked out. Good luck.
Saw 4 cases and only in this week , and only on this forum !
But you know....It's only "Internet Hysteria "

Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2) E92 M3's & F30 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Sounds like a rod bearing issue to me
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #18
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Please let us know what you find out. Good luck.
      05-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just curious. How is the car driven? Tracked? Do you drive the car hard? Push it to redline a lot? Any modifications? My 2011 has very low mileage and it's my dd. warranty just lapsed ..... The lucky thing for you is its still under warranty.
      05-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Your input and advice is always greatly appreciated Philippe. You've taken good care of me over the forums and i am extremely grateful. I will alert my BMW dealership as soon as the Memorial Day Weekend is over, as they are closed monday as well because of holidays. Do you have any clue why the ticking is not synched with the rpm increase? Thanks again Philippe!
Thanks bud
Was just listen again to your video .
Maybe it's because that the ticking noises are very slight , and we don't hear them on idle , that's why I called them the 1ste degree .
But it's for sure ..And you are right about that the ticking noises get louder and get more frequent as you get closer to 3,000 RPM .
So when you go up to about 3K rpm's they are actually synched with the rpm's !
And that's really the bad news ...
The only good news is that you have your BMW/Warranty .
Saw the color of your car in the video....And thought wow !
Matte yellow and jaw dropping !
Please don't start you car...don't push the start botton again till it's at your BMW/Dealer .
This...Like I said above , to avoid further damage !
Oh boy...Think you are number 4 this week on this forum !
When I see 8K rpm's in my car ,I take a deep breath and think about our damn bearings ...so where is the joy of it ?
Don't think that I can be relaxed in my car knowing what is going on , this problem is way bigger than most of us can imagine .
Just PM me my friend at any time..

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #21
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

the rythmic ticking that you hear before you apply any throttle as well as while you apply throttle in the 2nd video is normal.

my understanding is those are the lifters (although maybe someone could explain why we hear this noise from the BOTTOM of the motor?).

the random-ish "click...pause...click-click...pause...click...pause...etc" is the issue.

99% those would be the bearings. if you were to put any substantial millage on the car now this would most likely turn into a full out knocking sound, in the same random style.

best not to turn the ignition on until bmw has a look. if i were in your shoes i would most likely tow the car there as well rather then driving it there.

beautiful color btw, is it oem or did you have it wrapped? i get quite a lot of compliments on my metallic blue... but i gotta say, yours looks quite nice!

Quote:
I am extremely devastated and worried hearing this noise. What is worse is that this car is my baby and i take such good care of it....Thank you for your advice Philippe, I will definitely follow all of it! I uploaded a second video below the first one at the beginning of this thread, could you check that video out? I think the ticking is worse.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #22
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I am extremely devastated and worried hearing this noise. What is worse is that this car is my baby and i take such good care of it....Thank you for your advice Philippe, I will definitely follow all of it! I uploaded a second video below the first one at the beginning of this thread, could you check that video out? I think the ticking is worse.
You are right ,in your #2 video the ticking noises are more continually .
So yes , it's worse .
Sorry my friend but be just prepared for the worse case scenario ..

Appreciate 0