BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
3soon2b5
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

F15 X5 lease or finance CPO Cayenne S?

Hey guys,

My 2012 E70 x5 35d lease ends in about 6 months. I just received a pull-ahead offer (6 months paid) and it got me thinking about what's next.

I'm a long-time BMW owner (e46 330i, E53 X5, E90 335i - with some other cars in between) and love my e70 - perhaps my favorite BMW I've ever had. It's solid, very quick and looks great. It was my first diesel and it won't be my last - but I'm not set on diesel next time (especially as oil prices fall).

Anyhow, I ended up with this X5 when I initially started looking at CPO Cayenne's (first generation) in 2012. I liked them a lot but always liked the newer generation of Cayennes much more (they were already out in 2012). I got an amazing deal on my X5 and that sealed the deal. Now, I'm in a similar situation three years later - I really like the new Cayenne but because their lease offers are not at all competitive with the X5, I would need to finance a 2012 or 2013 Cayenne S to end up with a similar payment. I like the new X5 - but like many here feel that it is a little softer than the E70. It also seem a half size too big for my needs- I don't have any kids but enjoy the ride height/front seat room of mid-size SUVs. The x3/x4 just don't do it for me at all. I am not looking for something super aggressive, but the fun to drive factor is important.

I did a search and didn't see a whole lot of recent x5 vs. Cayenne threads. Recognizing that the Cayenne I would likely get would be a couple of years old (but certified or with a CarMax comprehensive warranty), what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I was in your position before I placed the order for my F15 diesel. It was a toss up for me. Things I like about each -

Cayenne Diesel:
Styling, Interior; superb reliability; very good handling; excellent steering feel; good performance, but not quite as good as F15

X5 Diesel:
Interior design and finish; quiet cabin; best tech of all SUVs; very good performance with Racechip; handling, ride can be soft when riding with wife, and firm when I want; Better value than Porsche, more room to haul my hobby, and activity stuff.

My wife (who will ride in but never drive) felt the F15 was quieter and more comfortable for her. So the final choice went to the F15, but it was a difficult decision. I test drove all the competition as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

We are going through the same decision process, although a 2015 Cayenne Diesel to a 2015 X5 Diesel. I agree that the handling on the Cayenne is great and it is more fun to drive than the BMW. Between the Diesels, the Cayenne is also quieter too. I think both exteriors look nice, as well as interiors. In my area, the Porsche is also more unique.

The BMW is way ahead in Technology with HUD, much better Nav Screen and I also like BMW's iDrive and their blind spot functions better. BMW is much less expensive with similar options and also includes free maintenance, which is big. I like the Porsche new led lights better. I think reliability looks better on the Porsche, but not positive. I also think the Cayenne has better resale value if buying.

They are both really nice and I think a tough decision. I am slightly favoring the Porsche, but would miss the technology of the BMW and the free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

I was in a similar situation before I committed to buying the BMW X5. I test drove the Porsche Cayenne extensively, and felt that it was indeed a better drive in its stock form. What really bugged me was the long and expensive options list that I'd have to tick just to spec a Cayenne to a comparable level with that of the X5. Leather seats with multi contour adjustment is an extra $25,000 (keep in mind these are seriously crazy Singapore prices), LED headlights $11,000, navigation $13,000, reverse camera with keyless entry would be another $10,000 and FFS, metallic paint was nearly $5000 extra. Throw in bigger rims, a sunroof and a decent sound system with voice control, it added up to nearly $100,000 in options that the X5 came with and then some.

I am sure the costs are less insane over Stateside, but Porkers have a bad habit of making you pay for every single add on there is - and pay mightily. In the end, my wallet did the talking.....

Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #5
samson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0, black on tan.

I am going through the same decision process right now; I own an X5 5.0 and love it and hate the mechanical issues. I might have a lemon, but, reliability is a major problem with the N62 engine. In any case, I drove the Macan and loved it. Smaller, different but in a good way. Priced judiciously, you can keep it reasonable. But, Porsche does not have attractive lease rates.
1996 325 convertible - retired
1989 535i - retired
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson View Post
I am going through the same decision process right now; I own an X5 5.0 and love it and hate the mechanical issues. I might have a lemon, but, reliability is a major problem with the N62 engine. In any case, I drove the Macan and loved it. Smaller, different but in a good way. Priced judiciously, you can keep it reasonable. But, Porsche does not have attractive lease rates.
I too loved the Macan and would have bought it if the diesel option was available. Typically great Porsche feel and handling. If you don't need the space it is a nice alternative to the X5
Appreciate 0