BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

NBT HD DVD?

Hi, I was buying some Music DVDs and I found a HD DVD (widescreen) ...our displays are also widescreen, but this HD DVD states that is only playable on HD DVD Players (not DVD or Blu-Ray)...if I buy it here, I can't return..so, if anyone knows if our NBT plays HD DVDs...would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Hi, I was buying some Music DVDs and I found a HD DVD (widescreen) ...our displays are also widescreen, but this HD DVD states that is only playable on HD DVD Players (not DVD or Blu-Ray)...if I buy it here, I can't return..so, if anyone knows if our NBT plays HD DVDs...would be helpful
Won't work esp because HD-DVDs are no longer supported by many and have slowly phased out. Based on this, I HIGHLY doubt our NBT system would be at all based on a singular phased out platform like that. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hd-dvd2.htm explains how different they are and why they can't be used on DVD players.

Here's your other option. Buy whatever you want, and copy it to your computer, then covert the video to avi with 1920x720 resolution (don't mess with the sound bitrate - leave that as is so it doesn't go out of sync with the video) and it will completely fill the screen . That's the smartest way to go about it esp since I enabled DVD in Motion with thumb drive support for you .

If you just want to buy a DVD to use in your player, then get DVD only.
      01-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Does one need to have a specific extra ordered to have DVD playback (and dvd in motion)?
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
Does one need to have a specific extra ordered to have DVD playback (and dvd in motion)?
I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, but the DVD playback is for the rear seat entertainment system. Regardless, with coding, you can play any video from a thumb drive. I'd pick that over any DVD all day because you can have multiples movies on a large thumb drive. Swapping is easy as pie from your computer.
      01-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Won't work esp because HD-DVDs are no longer supported by many and have slowly phased out. Based on this, I HIGHLY doubt our NBT system would be at all based on a singular phased out platform like that. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hd-dvd2.htm explains how different they are and why they can't be used on DVD players.

Here's your other option. Buy whatever you want, and copy it to your computer, then covert the video to avi with 1920x720 resolution (don't mess with the sound bitrate - leave that as is so it doesn't go out of sync with the video) and it will completely fill the screen . That's the smartest way to go about it esp since I enabled DVD in Motion with thumb drive support for you .

If you just want to buy a DVD to use in your player, then get DVD only.
Thank you buddy!!! I'll try the thumb drive option
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Thank you buddy!!! I'll try the thumb drive option
You're very welcome .