BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

To those that coded the X5, what are the advantages?

What got coded you really like? I coded my M5 and love it, but find my wife's 2015 X5D to be much less annoying stock than my 2014 M5. I like the anti-dazzle on my m5, but heard you can't code that to work with automatic headlight on? The software in the 15 just seems better than my 14 5 series.
      12-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Pretty much everything in the cheat sheet ...esp the annoying seatbelt chimes off, fogs on with high beams, VLD, and all doors unlocking upon engine shut down.
      12-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Pretty much everything in the cheat sheet ...esp the annoying seatbelt chimes off, fogs on with high beams, VLD, and all doors unlocking upon engine shut down.
I just bought X5 on lease. Will coding void its warranty since car is on lease?

What if I screw something during coding? Can the changes be rollback or it need a trip to the dealer?

I don't want to screw something and have the new car completely dead
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiku View Post
I just bought X5 on lease. Will coding void its warranty since car is on lease?

What if I screw something during coding? Can the changes be rollback or it need a trip to the dealer?

I don't want to screw something and have the new car completely dead
I can just remote code everything for you if you buy the cable. It does not void warranty as long as you follow directions and do things properly in my coding thread. Having me do it for you will save you time/money/issues. Takes me 20 minutes to do the whole thing. Buy the cable ($20 - your only expense) and I'll send you the links to download.

Before you turn it in upon lease end, all you have to do is VO Code the folders we did FDL coding in and you'll be set (it will be as if you never coded it).
      12-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Do you have child locks set on your back doors? I set a friends car to auto unlock the doors the other day and he said his rear doors dont unlock, but the front doors do. I am trying to find a way around this.

And to the OP. Do it. Make the car do the things it should do... and shouldnt do.
      12-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
Do you have child locks set on your back doors? I set a friends car to auto unlock the doors the other day and he said his rear doors dont unlock, but the front doors do. I am trying to find a way around this.

And to the OP. Do it. Make the car do the things it should do... and shouldnt do.
No, I do not. Did you code VAM_UNLOCK_KL15OFF_AFTER_PIA_AUTO_LOCK?
      12-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can just remote code everything for you if you buy the cable. It does not void warranty as long as you follow directions and do things properly in my coding thread. Having me do it for you will save you time/money/issues. Takes me 20 minutes to do the whole thing. Buy the cable ($20 - your only expense) and I'll send you the links to download.

Before you turn it in upon lease end, all you have to do is VO Code the folders we did FDL coding in and you'll be set (it will be as if you never coded it).
Sounds good, I will buy the cable then.

Still waiting on trucking to ship the car to west coast from NY.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good, I will buy the cable then.

Still waiting on trucking to ship the car to west coast from NY.
While I wait for what my uncle says, is there a reason why you can't get the NY dealer to ship it to you? Do they charge too much? I thought dealers can deliver to others dealers for a set fee.
      12-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Opasha, where can I purchase the cable and what is cost of coding a 14 x35i with usual requested specs? NJ
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
Opasha, where can I purchase the cable and what is cost of coding a 14 x35i with usual requested specs? NJ
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991

Cable: $20 - purchase from Ben (r33) or ebay guy - up to you. Many of us prefer Ben because he's a good guy that's helped many out already on the forums.

Software: $0 - I'll PM you.

Coding:
1) Learning yourself and coding: $0
2) Learning from me remotely and coding: $0
      12-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
No, I do not. Did you code VAM_UNLOCK_KL15OFF_AFTER_PIA_AUTO_LOCK?
Yes. Doors set to unlock all doors. I dont think there is a way around the doors not unlocking if child locks are set.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
Yes. Doors set to unlock all doors. I dont think there is a way around the doors not unlocking if child locks are set.
Ok. Yes, I think manual safety features will ALWAYS override coding. Nothing we can do about it.
      12-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

I know this is not a new question, but when the X5 goes in for a warranty repair is it not possible that blame might be placed on coding if the issue seems related and therefore not covered by the BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While I wait for what my uncle says, is there a reason why you can't get the NY dealer to ship it to you? Do they charge too much? I thought dealers can deliver to others dealers for a set fee.
I did talk to other dealers for courtesy delivery near my city when the order was placed. I could not find anyone who was willing to accept courtesy delivery for a fee. I did found one in Portland who was willing to accept courtesy delivery for $650 but it was too late. Car was already on truck to NY dealer.

Anyways, I did book the trucking with Intercity. They are taking a longgg time. They need 6 orders before they can pick my car with enclosed carrier.

I'm talking to other carrier today. hopefully I can find common carrier who can deliver my car earlier. Don't worry too much about it, it's ok if your uncle don't have number for the company.

Dealer did suggested one off trucking companies but they were local one person company. I didn't want my car shipped with those one off brokers.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I know this is not a new question, but when the X5 goes in for a warranty repair is it not possible that blame might be placed on coding if the issue seems related and therefore not covered by the BMW warranty?
Shawn will answer this better than me always, but from all the knowledge I've gathered, no, this will not void your warranty. Why? I'll list a few reasons:

1) The cheat sheet only has codes that have been tested that cause zero issues and work properly.

2) These codes are factory codes that have been disabled and in some countries are already enabled by default. It's like turning a BMW code on or off. It's not aftermarket in any way.

3) The dealer does not do any FDL coding. They only work with ISTA/P and as far as I have seen through Rheingold and Shawn's explanations, this software does not have the capability to code anything. It can only program (ISTA/P) or read diagnostics (ISTA/D). So, for them to detect any such coding would only be through really making a determined effort to quickly turn on your car within 20 seconds to watch the M drive screen or notice your Rolls Royce gong. Majority of the time, no one even notices or cares about this. Also, majority of the BMW service/sales reps don't have a clue about what features even come in the BMWs they sell.

4) Just be smart and feign ignorance if they try to pin anything onto an fdl code. If you have coded from me or anyone else here or really know how to code yourself, you won't make any mistakes to brick your car or code anything that will mess your car up.

5) If they for whatever reason say it's your fault because they consider your BMW coding to be aftermarket, you can use the Magnuson-Moss Act: http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm. Trojanlaw would know best about this.

The major reason why issues arise is due to people coding without reading and then trying random solutions themselves. Read, understad, ask questions and you won't have issues.

Also, if anything I have said is incorrect, feel free to correct me. As far as I know, this is what people usually respond with. When you return your car for lease or are super duper OCD about your dealer being strict, you can easily VO Code the ECU folders you had fdl coding changes in and they will be restored to factory settings. No harm no foul.

Quote:
I did talk to other dealers for courtesy delivery near my city when the order was placed. I could not find anyone who was willing to accept courtesy delivery for a fee. I did found one in Portland who was willing to accept courtesy delivery for $650 but it was too late. Car was already on truck to NY dealer.

Anyways, I did book the trucking with Intercity. They are taking a longgg time. They need 6 orders before they can pick my car with enclosed carrier.

I'm talking to other carrier today. hopefully I can find common carrier who can deliver my car earlier. Don't worry too much about it, it's ok if your uncle don't have number for the company.

Dealer did suggested one off trucking companies but they were local one person company. I didn't want my car shipped with those one off brokers.
Ah, darn. My uncle is probably busy since he hasn't responded to me - sorry about that . Nonetheless, good luck with the best option! If he responds back, I'll PM you anyway.
      12-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Thank you for such a thorough reply. I want to get past a 3K mile trip - starts next week - then I will look at coding to make things better for my daily schedule at home.

I know it is a sad comparison, but one of the E70 forums I used to frequent warned that one's local dealer could give you grief if you upgraded your maps or bought an extended warranty from a different BMW source.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Thank you for such a thorough reply. I want to get past a 3K mile trip - starts next week - then I will look at coding to make things better for my daily schedule at home.

I know it is a sad comparison, but one of the E70 forums I used to frequent warned that one's local dealer could give you grief if you upgraded your maps or bought an extended warranty from a different BMW source.
No problem . Again, with coding and other changes, you have to do it right. If you mess up your iDrive with a wrong code when trying to update your maps while upgrading, you might have to go to your dealer to get it fixed to work again. I don't know the details on that, but that's why I always advise people to read carefully and do things correctly. There's a reason why there are many of us on the forums that have done this many times and offer help/guidance. All you have to do is ask.
      12-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:

I already have the cable from my M5. Should prob be the same one? How do we get in touch?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
I already have the cable from my M5. Should prob be the same one? How do we get in touch?
I sent you a PM.

Last edited by opasha; 12-30-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #20
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep
Drives: Wood Hauler

is there a list of what you can code? I've tried searching - but i mostly find random stuff here and there for changing the code, but I am a potential first time bimmer owner and have no idea what can even be done.

(doing my research before i pull the gun)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
is there a list of what you can code? I've tried searching - but i mostly find random stuff here and there for changing the code, but I am a potential first time bimmer owner and have no idea what can even be done.

My coding thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991

The F15 cheat sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9s4/edit#gid=0
      01-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post

It was a lot more complicated (or we didn't have people like opasha to explain and help make sense of the process) with older BMW's, it's even a huge leap from E70 to F15 (and it's possible software improved too).

I was able to code most of the stuff I wanted and there are still couple of more I need to do, especially VLD is something I want to code asap. Also, after you code them, you don't even realize some of the stuff you coded, but it makes your life better like getting rid of disclaimers, especially the ones blocking the view in cameras, or folding mirrors automatically, or unlocking doors with engine stop, all good stuff.

I think you guys should take the questions and further discussion to opasha's coding thread, there is a lot of information there already and you can get better answers from those who already coded.

Good luck and enjoy your BMW.