BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
vishal_ds
Panama
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Smile The headlight has two projector lenses

Hi everyone
For ones that own the F15 but with the Bi-xenon headlamp unit, you will notice that there are two projector lenses on each headlamp. Last time I saw, I thought both of them lit up during high beam.

I checked properly, and only the main lamp does it all, high/low, of course this is the whole purpose of bi-xenon. But why did they put a second projector lens? Is this is functional or its just a dummy piece mounted.

I have tried to find the button to turn it on, and I cant find it. Does anyone know how does this work, if it works?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

The inside one is for look only. No function
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_ds View Post
Hi everyone
For ones that own the F15 but with the Bi-xenon headlamp unit, you will notice that there are two projector lenses on each headlamp. Last time I saw, I thought both of them lit up during high beam.

I checked properly, and only the main lamp does it all, high/low, of course this is the whole purpose of bi-xenon. But why did they put a second projector lens? Is this is functional or its just a dummy piece mounted.

I have tried to find the button to turn it on, and I cant find it. Does anyone know how does this work, if it works?
Only with LED package they light up. (all four are lit with both low and high beams)
In certain countries they work as cornering lights, activating with left and right turn signals.
      12-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

Can we code to make them work for others who does not work? Is it even worth it?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisjae1
Can we code to make them work for others who does not work? Is it even worth it?
This is quite interesting. If it's a blank piece it would be fun to run a secondary low beam so no need for Aux lighting. Quad low beams them
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
This is quite interesting. If it's a blank piece it would be fun to run a secondary low beam so no need for Aux lighting. Quad low beams them
I mean, I think it may be possible considering it is a cornering light for those who have Bi-Xenon in other countries. If you google search "inner projecter bmw", you'll come across many threads that discuss this being a part of bmw vehicles that have adaptive bi-xenon headlamps. Again, those of us in the US get screwed over on such things, lol.
      12-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
I mean, I think it may be possible considering it is a cornering light for those who have Bi-Xenon in other countries. If you google search "inner projecter bmw", you'll come across many threads that discuss this being a part of bmw vehicles that have adaptive bi-xenon headlamps. Again, those of us in the US get screwed over on such things, lol.
Didn't even of think of that. That may be true since my older bros Adaptive bi xenon E92 uses the inners for cornering and drl bulb.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

In the UK on the F10 the inner lamps were on during adaptive headlight use but it was a conventional halogen, main headlamp was xenon and the indicator LED.