BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

when to change oil?

like most guys on the east coast, although i don't put my m3 down for the winter i certainly take down my usage of the car big time, to the point where maybe i take her out once a month just to keep her running and the battery charged from basically november until april.

my question is, when changing the oil, do i do it now or do i do it in april? what are the reasons behind either preference? same with the tires, although i think i am just supposed to wait until the new season to swap.

any other tips (besides the ones i know like making sure the gas tank is filled to the brim and making sure i at least run it once every 3weeks to a month)
      11-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Like when storage the boat away for the winter, I'd change the oil now to keep the metals nice and clean...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

When was the last time you changed the oil? If recently, then you're ok... if awhile ago, then it doesn't hurt to change it.
      11-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
like most guys on the east coast, although i don't put my m3 down for the winter i certainly take down my usage of the car big time, to the point where maybe i take her out once a month just to keep her running and the battery charged from basically november until april.

my question is, when changing the oil, do i do it now or do i do it in april? what are the reasons behind either preference? same with the tires, although i think i am just supposed to wait until the new season to swap.

any other tips (besides the ones i know like making sure the gas tank is filled to the brim and making sure i at least run it once every 3weeks to a month)

Use Startron in the full gas tank too. It will prevent ethanol problems as ethanol can attract water.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

i changed oil at the end of last season as well as mid way through the season. m3 only has 23k miles on it but aside from some annoying rattles on the interior and a rattle i can't really place while stepping on it in low rpms, there is nothing wrong at all w the car. i was thinking that helsman has it right.

as for startron, is that ok if i am (occasionally) running the car?
      11-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
i changed oil at the end of last season as well as mid way through the season. m3 only has 23k miles on it but aside from some annoying rattles on the interior and a rattle i can't really place while stepping on it in low rpms, there is nothing wrong at all w the car. i was thinking that helsman has it right.

as for startron, is that ok if i am (occasionally) running the car?

Yes, Startron is safe whether the car is stored or driven. I use it in every tank in the winter and like you, try to drive it every 3-4 weeks.

In terms of oil, I don't think it makes much of a difference as long as it's every 1 year or every 5k-7.5k miles, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0